Black Widow or Snake Doctor

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
On Wednesday August 5. 1964, we shoved off at 7:00 am in the morning. The grade of the river was increasing as we paddled our way up-stream. We went through a half mile of river that was riffles and strong current. The sixteen foot Grumman canoe was like paddling a barge. Uncle Bill wrote the following in his diary, "A little farther on we found a spring with a stream about 4 inches out of the side of the bank, cold as ice and crystal clear. We drank all we could hold. Filled our jugs and moved on."

I remember that day like it was yesterday. I was 14 years old. My Uncle, Henry and I were going up the Licking River. When my Uncle was drinking that water, I still remember how he was bragging, "Ah, this is the best water I have ever drank." He carried on like it was Perrier from France. My memory is that it was just water. But my Uncle was a master of the art of exaggeration. We saw something floating dead on the river one morning, Uncle said it was a bobcat. It was really just a dead cat but he loved to add drama to our experience. Truth be told, my brother and I enjoyed his style of exaggeration. One day we saw a harmless snake floating by, but to Uncle Bill, it was a deadly copperhead.

On Thursday August 6, 1964, my Uncle recorded, "Moved out at 8 am saw gars floating alongside the canoe. I got bitten by a Black Widow spider this morning and a snake doctor later. We don't know which one caused it. But I got bad fever. I started getting cold chills. So Henry and Ronnie done all the paddling till me made camp. I went to the tent and got into my sleeping bag. Drank hot tea and took aspirins. I had fever that day and night."

On the morning of Friday August 7, 1964, my Uncle woke to find he had shyt his sleeping bag. He was extremely weak and sick. Sores had broke out on his back. We opened them with a needle and put merthiolate on them. We decided to stay over in the camp. My Uncle striped down and I left to go fishing. I knew the duties that were coming and I didn't want to get any assignments. Henry always was the more responsible of the two of us, so he took my Uncle's bed clothes to the river and washed the shyt out. I was down river fishing when I noticed soap suds floating by. I knew the worst was over so I decided to go back to the camp. Henry hung the clothes on a line in the sunshine. I caught a nice bass later that night and Henry fixed us a nice supper.

The next day Uncle Bill was better. Henry and I did the paddling as we headed downriver. My Uncle sat in the passenger chair and went on most of the day how he had survived both the bite of a Snake Doctor and a Black Widow all at the same time.

We were passing the spot where we had drank the best water my Uncle had ever had in his life. There were two farmers standing at the discharge of the spring. My Uncle said lets pull in and fill up our jugs. When we got close, the farmers ask what we wanted. My Uncle said, "If you don't mind we would like to fill out jugs with that fine spring water." They laughed so hard we thought they were crazy. When one of them gained his composure, he said, "No you don't want to drink that, that is tile water from the field above the bank. Above that is where the hog lot is. That ain't nothing but hog shyt boys."

Now we know it wasn't a Black Widow or a Snake Doctor that made Uncle sick.

Good tale. Reminds me of a fishing trip on some pristine waters and how I learned a lesson or two about pristine sparkling stream water and dairy operations.

After a few beers, my pizz is crystal clear too, but I've never been even slightly inclined to think of it as potable.

greybeard":1notr1na said:
After a few beers, my pizz is crystal clear too, but I've never been even slightly inclined to think of it as potable.

I can almost guarantee you that it would be more potable than the crystal clear water I drank a mile or so below the dairy even if you didn't relieve yourself over rocks which "makes the water safe to drink". Not meaning to get gross but amoebic dysentery is a bad illness and a glass of crystal clear water consumed orally will come out your t-hiney just as clear as it entered your mouth in less than 5 minutes.

My cousin tried to tell me one time on a deer hunting trip that once you got up above the tree line all water was safe to drink as the deer stayed in the trees so there was no gillardia. I had my doubts as I had learned otherwise.
We ran out of water on a long trek and went above the tree line for a drink for him and his friend... I said I could wait until we made it back to camp. They both slurped down a half gallon each and filled their canteens in the slow moving creek. We decided to follow the creek uphill a little ways and then rim around the mountain before we dropped back to camp. About ten yards from where they drank the smell hit us... There was a dead deer in the bloat/stink phase of decomposition with it's belly recently opened laying half in and half out of the creek about sixty yards upstream from where they were drinking. :yuck:

Jogeephus":11x37q28 said:
Good tale. Reminds me of a fishing trip on some pristine waters and how I learned a lesson or two about pristine sparkling stream water and dairy operations.
Joe try getting a long drink from a creek on a hot day then walk up the creek about 50 yards and find a dead calf in the creek.

My Aunt gave me this diary a few years ago. He was mom's brother. His first wife and daughter left him when he was in the pacific during WWII. He was scheduled to make a land invasion of Japan when that was up-staged by Fat Boy and Little Boy. When he got home, his wife had gone to Arizona with a bus driver with their little girl. He remarried but never had any more children. He became a fixture to me and my siblings. The funniest man I ever knew, no one else was even close. He could tell stories for hours. He would have people laughing til their sides hurt. When he told a story, no matter how ridiculas it was, he never laughed until it was over.

Thanks for sharing the tale. You ought to look into publishing his tales. The one you posted was an entertaining read.

ga.prime":1ukwqj0a said:
Everybody knows dragonflies don't bite! :lol2:
That is what made him funny. He told us that one landed on his shoulder and took a big chunk of meat out. It was probably the spurs on the claws that he really felt. But this is actually a true story. It is funny that Henry and I talk about it and we each remember it a little different.

I would have liked your uncle's storytelling and exaggerations, inyati. I never had heard of a dragonfly being called a snake doctor. The story got a whole lot funnier after you said what it was. You have a very good memory to recall stories like that.

Latest posts