Black Widow or Snake Doctor

Help Support CattleToday:

Deepsouth":2lgslofz said:
f150fatboy":2lgslofz said:
Fun read, my grandmother always called dragonflies "snake feeders". Anybody else heard of that?

Never heard either one. Do y'all call all dragonflies snake doctors or just a certain kind?
We've always called all of them snake feeders, my wife is from North Carolina and had never heard that either. Must be a TN and KY thing?

f150fatboy":xwn038ue said:
Deepsouth":xwn038ue said:
f150fatboy":xwn038ue said:
Fun read, my grandmother always called dragonflies "snake feeders". Anybody else heard of that?

Never heard either one. Do y'all call all dragonflies snake doctors or just a certain kind?
We've always called all of them snake feeders, my wife is from North Carolina and had never heard that either. Must be a TN and KY thing?

And alabama. Great story.

'skeeterhawks'

One flew in the window of my wife's car one day, got tangled in her hair, went to 'buzzin' and I thought she was going to wreck and kill us both before she got it swatted out.

Ron
Great story as usual. I agree, you need to put some of these in a book and get them printed. You tell some fantastic stories!
BTW, being a transplant into MO, everyone out here calls them skeeter hawks also. Took me awhile to figure that out!!!

melking":28hgxk8y said:
too funny as usual!!!! We call dragonflys mosquito hawks.
:clap:
Mosquito hawk here too if we are talking about the same creature.
As a little boy I used to catch them and tie a string to them. They could fly but couldn't get away.

To me snake doctor has a completely different meaning. A peddler of bogus cures. Especially snake oil.

Ryder":1m4doqyk said:
melking":1m4doqyk said:
As a little boy I used to catch them and tie a string to them. They could fly but couldn't get away.

Never tied a string to one, but I got pretty good at hitting them with my Daisy when they'd land.

slick4591":320x4qr4 said:
Ryder":320x4qr4 said:
melking":320x4qr4 said:

Never tied a string to one, but I got pretty good at hitting them with my Daisy when they'd land.
Where did those days go? :?

slick4591":2ksm4y9n said:
Ryder":2ksm4y9n said:
melking":2ksm4y9n said:

Slick, ever catch a horse fly gently so as not to hurt it, get just the right weight and length stem of hay, stick it up the horse fly's azz, and watch as it flies off as it wings its load toward the heavens.

Caution: Don't overload its azz.

inyati13":2il3ygat said:
Slick, ever catch a horse fly gently so as not to hurt it, get just the right weight and length stem of hay, stick it up the horse fly's azz, and watch as it flies off as it wings its load toward the heavens.

Nope, not me. I enjoyed slapping them to spatter the blood, tho.

inyati13":8dsrm97f said:

:secret: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Never did, nor was I ever inclined to.

greybeard":3tekdm4z said:
inyati13":3tekdm4z said:

:secret: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Never did, nor was I ever inclined to.
GB, the neighbor boy showed the trick to me when I was about 10. After all those years, I caught a big horse fly off one of the cows this summer and decided to see if it still works. There is some skill required in selecting the right hay straw. A light fescue stem works well, the best is a fine Bluegrass stem. With Bluegrass, you can get one light enough to leave some of the seed head on. You stick the big end into the tip of the abdomen. Don't push it throught the thorax or you will damage the engine and fuel supply. Release the fly from your grip and it will wing straight up. The weight changes the balance of the insect and the lift generated by the wings propells the fly with attached straw straight above your head. You have to keep your eye on it from takeoff or you will lose sight of it against the blue sky. It still works.

Latest posts