Black Vultures

Help Support CattleToday:

While we can discuss this all here on the boards, just remember why we have so many of both the vultures and the yotes, it's the tree hugging bleeding hearts that think the food they eat is made in some factory in China or something.......Just be carefull about who and what you share with 'outsiders'! If I am correct, a number of these critters enjoy FEDERAL protections.

I am to the point in my life, where I am of the opinion, if it is in my pasture searching for something , it's up to no good, and it needs a sleeping pill.
As far as vultures, yes I know they are big, but, a low report .22 can and will do the trick using a hollow point bullet for a body shot, the chest area is best............. they will certainly fly away, but in short order will drop from internal damage and bleeding...............is this cruel? Ummmmm, not IMHO, as they will otherwise destroy your livelyhood by any cruel means they can as well.
I have to be more and more carefull about using loud weapons here, as I am being surrounded by city folks wanting to build a part time home in the country, and see the beautiful views and oh so cute cows in my pastures, so they prefer to build right up against my fences, and thus have a front row seat to anything I do here, including dispatching problem critters. I can only imagine the fines etc. that would be levied against me for popping a vulture around here and letting some one know it.

So, I suspect vultures and coyotes are some of the devils minions......no doubt, no doubt! :cboy:

I found the following article on the internet, maybe you need some diclofenac!!!
I also read there is up to a $15,000 fine for killing one. So I wouldn't say much about it.
I have Turkey vultures and black ones around my place. The black ones have white feathers at the tips of their wings.
Is that the ones that attack calves. If so, I will start picking them off. I have enough trouble already.

Has Mysterious Killer of India's Vultures Been Found?
"We are pretty much convinced where birds are dying of visceral gout or renal failure it is caused by diclofenac," said co-author Rick Watson, international programs director for The Peregrine Fund in Boise, Idaho, which led the international study team.
Ian Newton, an ornithologist with the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology at the Natural Environment Research Council in Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom, said the study is carefully done and clearly shows the link between diclofenac and the vulture deaths.
India Vulture Die-Off Spurs Carcass Crisis
Extinction Near for Albatross, Experts Warn
"Mysterious Plague" Spurs India Vulture Die-Off
"Throughout the region, the timing of vulture decline coincides with the period of diclofenac use, and such massive population declines have not been recorded in related vultures in other parts of the world where the drug is mainly restricted for human use," he said.
Diclofenac Consequences
Oaks and colleagues are currently partnering with the World Wildlife Fund–Pakistan to figure out the economic reasons for why diclofenac has suddenly become widespread throughout the Indian subcontinent, but suspect its growth stems from it being a safe, effective, and cheap pain reliever for animals.
"From a vet's perspective, it is actually a very good drug and there is very little disincentive…to use it," said Oaks. "No one thought it would have these ecological impacts."
Like ibuprofen and aspirin, diclofenac can be used to treat ailments such as a sore leg. Although it cannot cure the leg, the drug can alleviate pain enough to allow an ailing buffalo to ferry a load back to the farm from town, said Oaks.
The unintended consequence comes when livestock die shortly after being treated with the drug. Their bodies contain sufficient residues to cause visceral gout in the vultures.
In order to prevent the extinction of these vultures, Oaks and his colleagues are calling for an immediate ban on the veterinary use of the drug. "We know for a fact that diclofenac is really bad, so the first priority is to get that controlled," said Oaks.
Currently, the use of diclofenac to treat livestock appears to be largely restricted to countries in southern Asia. The vulture crisis research community is concerned, however, that if the drug were used in a similar way in Africa, the Middle East, or Europe, it might affect closely related species in these regions too.
Call for Action
To expedite the transfer of this finding to the appropriate authorities, the researchers have organized an international summit next month in Kathmandu, Nepal. "What the outcome will be we can't tell at this stage, but we will provide every bit of opportunity for the governments to respond appropriately," said Watson.
According to Watson, chief among the appropriate responses is an outright ban on the veterinary use of diclofenac. Other options include an aggressive captive breeding program and actively feeding uncontaminated food to the vultures.
"With such an apparently lethal chemical, the most effective solution would be to ban its use altogether in free-ranging livestock, and in my view it is unlikely that vultures could survive where this chemical is in widespread use," said Newton.
While there are several alternatives to diclofenac, the researchers do not know if any of them are safe for the vultures. Further studies may reveal an answer. In the meantime, they recommend a captive breeding program to ensure viable populations for future re-introduction programs

I'm pretty sure it is against the law to kill a vulture of any kind here in Ky but coyote season runs 365 days a year. No limit and no regs on what type of firearm/bow can be used. Only regulations is that you aren't supposed to hunt them at night and you can't hunt them with a firearm during modern arms deer season as far as I know. There is a set trapping season on them tho. Go figure. Prolly to keep other critters from getting caught in the traps.

Latest posts