Black buzzards got one

Help Support CattleToday:

There has been regular buzzards hanging around the buildings for at least the past 20 summers.
Usually from 2 to 5 and I think from the same family. They used to stay on an old barn that I finally
razed. They have since moved to a cattle shed and locust trees just back of it. I have been told they
nest on the ground but I never looked for chicks as I did not wish to disturb them. They will leave out
around 8:00 - 8:30 in the morning and return around 5:30 regular as a clock. I would hate to see the
black buzzards come in and replace them.

The black buzzards have been here for quite a few years, and see them more numerous than red headed ones now. They are here year round, and have been more problematic for us in recent years during the winter months. although they are an ever present potential problem at any time of the year. Our town has the rather embarrassing situation of having a large black buzzard roost in the cemetery right off of a major street, and there is also another roost at a utility substation.

I had one fly out of nowhere and slam into my drivers side rear view mirror as I was coming down the highway with a loaded trailer last week. Smashed the mirror off my truck... Buzzard got up and flew away... Apparently their indestructible. We have Pyrenees at home that help keep them away (hogs too) but our bigger pasture is about 25 miles away. We've been lucky out there so far, but I do see a lot of them.

They are a protected migratory bird, but you can get a license to kill them. In Missouri we can go through Farm Bureau to get permits. If you kill one hang it by its feet from a tree as close to where they roost as you can and they will move somewhere else.