Black Angus coats turning reddish?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
I have noticed some of my cows coats are turning reddish?! They use to be black. From what I read it could be a cooler deficiency. Has anyone had this happen? How do I fix this? Thanks

Copper and there are some other minerals that need to be there to let copper do it's best. An antagonist to copper is iron so the cheap red minerals can hurt as much as help if the rich red color is due to a lot of iron in the mix.

I have either Vitaferm or Putina mineral tubs out. I just switched from loose minerals.

Copper is the correct answer, Molybdenum is a copper antagonist, so even with adequate copper levels, high molybdenum levels can create a deficiency

I'm in a copper deficient area, and about 6 miles from me as the crow flies there's a lake called "Molybdenite lake"
I feed mineral with about a 2500PPM Cu content

Copper deficient here too. Ive used Copasure since it first was available. Cows receive it when worked a couple of months before calving & calves receive it at processing.

Copper is the correct answer, Molybdenum is a copper antagonist, so even with adequate copper levels, high molybdenum levels can create a deficiency

I'm in a copper deficient area, and about 6 miles from me as the crow flies there's a lake called "Molybdenite lake"
I feed mineral with about a 2500PPM Cu content
I will have to check to make sure actual level but we are very high in molybdenum and are feeding a custom mineral that is about 5 points off toxic level for cattle. No more red coats on black cows and health issues greatly diminished.

We split our herd and summer halves 9 miles apart. One (easiest to corral) herd grazes older stands with limited legume, and has some reddish coats. The other half (that we did not catch) grazes newer stands with a lot of legume after bale grazing, and does not have reddish coats. Hummm.

I will have to check to make sure actual level but we are very high in molybdenum and are feeding a custom mineral that is about 5 points off toxic level for cattle. No more red coats on black cows and health issues greatly diminishe
We split our herd and summer halves 9 miles apart. One (easiest to corral) herd grazes older stands with limited legume, and has some reddish coats. The other half (that we did not catch) grazes newer stands with a lot of legume after bale grazing, and does not have reddish coats. Hummm.
I was feeding heavy Alflafa and the coats were more black. This reddish tint is driving me crazy!

This is not uncommon, but it does not necessarily indicate a red gene. The great AI heifer bull Emulation (and you can be sure he had the best possible nutrition and care) show red in ABS catalog photos -- so much so that the owner noted that he does not have the red gene.

Latest posts