Black Vultures

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Never seen them this bad. Went over to put out hay for one of the sick neighbors and there must have been a 100 of them after a new calf. Dispacthed a couple moved the cow and calf into the barn for tonight and a couple of days. They have always been aggresive but this bunch just about had the cow wore down trying to get the calf. They would have gotten the calf in another ten or fifteen minutes.

They're thick around here, too. I hate 'em. :mad:

The old gentleman that leases pasture, close by, for his heavy bred cows has 6 of them in there now. Everyday I go by I look for a new baby. So far, the mama and other cows are able to keep those devils off.

One time I didn't notice the other cows coming to the rescue and crashed into a circumstance that I didn't need to. :oops: Needless to say, I booked it outta there! :shock:

Alice

We haven't had that problem at all.. thank GOD! But after all the talk of how bad they've become in Texas, I am doubly watchful when something is going to calf. It's worked out best to bring them up into the yard, or even into the barn.

Glad you were there to help Caustic. That's a horrible thing to happen to a calf.

Hippie Rancher":spy2dypw said:
I first leaned about them on this forum - thank goodness we don't have them. Flying coyotes. yikes.

Do horned cows do better against them?

No usually the cow ends up trampling the calf trying to protect it.
I have seen three or four of the birds fight with the cow while others sneak in to get the calf.
I have lost three calfs to the devils over the last couple of years.

Boy that sounds pretty bad. We have only ever seen one up here. Had to look it up in the bird book.
If they are that bad i would think it is time for some target practice. Too many for the area to sustain them all and there needs to be fewer.

Hippie Rancher":3hn36gwj said:
I first leaned about them on this forum -
Me too. I just never differentiated them from the others. They haven't gotten to the stage of needing killing as they have elsewhere.

Last year, where I work, there was a whole flock of them going after a calf that went under a fence and got away from its mother and the rest of that group. It was awful. I let my dog loose on them and they scattered with time enough to get that calf to safety.

3 years ago they had done a real number on 3 newborns. One ended up dying, the other 2 had managed to recover from their wounds. Those birds were going after a calf that wasn't even fully born yet. Those things are relentless. Those things are devils with wings.

Katherine

I luv herfrds":1004r69t said:
Boy that sounds pretty bad. We have only ever seen one up here. Had to look it up in the bird book.
If they are that bad i would think it is time for some target practice. Too many for the area to sustain them all and there needs to be fewer.

Actually they are pretty amazing one will show up after a cow or calf as they will kill game if there is no carrion. After the first one shows up you will see them streaming in. I don't know what they put out but the others are tuned in.
According to the bird books only the old turkey vulture can smell.

Never heard of or seen them before until this forum. Are they ileagal to shoot or just one of them thing that when you see them you don't have gun.

We have quite a few but surprisingly no problems yet this year (knock on wood). One thing I'm glad to see is a whole bunch of turkey vultures hanging around. I think they're eating cow crap around the bale rings. Some of the turkey vultures are still immature and don't have that full red coloration on their head yet. Gotta be careful not to mistake them for a black vulture before giving them a pill.

Brad D":cof3t4rn said:
Never heard of or seen them before until this forum. Are they ileagal to shoot or just one of them thing that when you see them you don't have gun.

The game wardens called a cattle owner last summer and advised him that his herd was being attacked. I happened to be with him when the call came in. The game wardens stayed there to protect the cattle until the land owner arrived at which time they conveniently exited.

The best thing I have found are 12 gauge loads called "2 by 4's" in 3 inch magnum shells. The load is actually designed for turkey hunting. It has #2 and #4 shot with good reach. You are not hunting migratory birds so you can pull the plug out of the shotgun.

4 of those critters were perched on an old chimney near the calf pen. One shot with the 2 by 4 can drop them all - er or so I am told :D

drove up saturday and saw 4 0r 5 of em sitting out in the old hay where the rings had been moved from, we have a few cows that are close to calving, and i was sick that they had got one, but i was relieved that they hadnt got no one.....yet, they took off when we drove down there, we have lost a cow that had delivered a calf, the calf got away, but she didnt....i hate them things....
i wished they caught and ate wild hogs...
samm

Those dog gone things are real bad here. Anytime some one sees to many in one spot. Someone is getting a phone call. It means they are after someones calf.
The other thing we are having so much trouble with is Mexican Eagles. There are so many of them. On our fence tonight the was 4 of them. Must be after the neighbors cattle. I have nothing due for awhile yet.
Also,the coyote's have been real bad this year. A guy working for the county called and said a couple them were after one of my calves. Well,not any more I took care of that problem

Had 2 of those SOB's sitting in a dead snag that faces my goat pasture today. One of my goats had twins today and I know them buzzards were just waiting for a chance to grab a snack. Blew both of them out of that tree with some buck 4's.

I was just telling Diesel about rescuing a newborn from buzzards last week.
If I would of got to them in another ten minutes that calf would have been dead.
Their we're about 40 around the cow but three we're trying to rip the tongue right outa the calves mouth.
I was walking thru the pasture and only had my hickory cane or their would of been lots of feathers flying.
The calves tongue and mouth was bloody and split on the end like a devils fork tongue also he now has a hair lip.
The calve also came down from some type of infection from what ever germs in the mouth of those buzzards carry.
He can barley walk now even though he is A little over a week old.
So I'm thinking I saved him from the buzzards but I may end up losing him after all.
He's got fever and walks like he is hundred years old. But he does get up to nurse and the cow which is a red Angus stays close by.
I gave him a dose of antibiotics three days ago and its a wait and see. He will get another in 10 days if he survives that long.
I worry more about other predators getting at him and him not being able to run than anything else at this point.
It's more up to the calve and the man upstairs now.
But if anyone has any other suggestions I'm open.

Latest posts