black vs. white plastic wrap on silage bales

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
We have silage hay that is wrapped w/ both white and black plastic. Wondering if anyone can give some insite on what the difference would be. We have fed all the white wrapped bales and in a couple days will need to feed the first black wrapped bale. Only reason we used black to start w/ is because the feed mill ran out of white. Sometimes change is a struggle.

The only difference I've noticed is that the black plastic is less pliable and has a more acrid smoke when you burn it.

dun

certherfbeef":fchzruzf said:
We have silage hay that is wrapped w/ both white and black plastic. Wondering if anyone can give some insite on what the difference would be. We have fed all the white wrapped bales and in a couple days will need to feed the first black wrapped bale. Only reason we used black to start w/ is because the feed mill ran out of white. Sometimes change is a struggle.

certherfbeef":2jxkyz9y said:
I use a white plastic on the long cut haylage - the white reflects heat and the black gets hotter- therefore you can see some heat damage to the black wrap. As late as it is you should see very few problems. Stick with the white if possible.

certherfbeef":2p6x63g1 said:
I use white plastic

I agree w/ KY cowboy. As a nutritionist I always recommend to go w/ white as black absorbs heat and will therefore produce hotter temps in the bag which leads to molds, less energy, palatability, and decreased feed efficiency.

Latest posts