• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

black vs. white plastic wrap on silage bales

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
We have silage hay that is wrapped w/ both white and black plastic. Wondering if anyone can give some insite on what the difference would be. We have fed all the white wrapped bales and in a couple days will need to feed the first black wrapped bale. Only reason we used black to start w/ is because the feed mill ran out of white. Sometimes change is a struggle.

dun

Reaction score
The only difference I've noticed is that the black plastic is less pliable and has a more acrid smoke when you burn it.

dun

certherfbeef":fchzruzf said:
We have silage hay that is wrapped w/ both white and black plastic. Wondering if anyone can give some insite on what the difference would be. We have fed all the white wrapped bales and in a couple days will need to feed the first black wrapped bale. Only reason we used black to start w/ is because the feed mill ran out of white. Sometimes change is a struggle.

A

Anonymous

certherfbeef":2jxkyz9y said:
I use a white plastic on the long cut haylage - the white reflects heat and the black gets hotter- therefore you can see some heat damage to the black wrap. As late as it is you should see very few problems. Stick with the white if possible.

A. delaGarza

Reaction score
certherfbeef":2p6x63g1 said:
I use white plastic

HandB

Reaction score
I agree w/ KY cowboy. As a nutritionist I always recommend to go w/ white as black absorbs heat and will therefore produce hotter temps in the bag which leads to molds, less energy, palatability, and decreased feed efficiency.

Latest posts