Black plasic coil waterline leaks

Help Support CattleToday:

mnbryant2001

Reaction score
i moved to rotational grazing this spring and used black coil line to supply water to some paddocks. My fitting are grey plastic ribbed fittings. As i figured the sun had them leaking after a few days. I installed it a week ago as spring water in low areas have dried up. Tonight I double clamped areas to stop the leaks. What are others using? Metal fittings would likely stop the problem but I haven't seen any locally. Looking online for them.

mnbryant2001":2einnp4o said:
i moved to rotational grazing this spring and used black coil line to supply water to some paddocks. My fitting are grey plastic ribbed fittings. As i figured the sun had them leaking after a few days. I installed it a week ago as spring water in low areas have dried up. Tonight I double clamped areas to stop the leaks. What are others using? Metal fittings would likely stop the problem but I haven't seen any locally. Looking online for them.

Are you talking about "poly pipe?". They sell tools to add fittings. I think they have gotten cheaper lately.

When I put the clamps on I heat the pipe with a boiling watersoaked rag then tighten the clamps. Really helps after it's been installed for a while and you have a leak that needs fixing.

I have had the hdpe pipe out above ground for 10 years and use the plasson agrifit couplers. Only had 2 leaks and those were fittings that cracked from freezing. This has been only twice in 10 years and the pipe has water in it all the time, even winter. They are very easy to install, external compression fittings and require no tools. Here's a link to a dealer.

http://www.kfence.com/watersystems.html

Powerflex fence handles a different brand of fittings that I have not used. Based on my prior experience with their other products, would not hesitate to use these as I'm sure David would not sell them if they were not good products. Here's a link to the website.

http://www.powerflexfenceonline.com/category_s/55.htm

A major benefit of the external fittings is they do not restrict the water flow like the internal fittings and are easier to install. With the external compression you have the full diameter of your pipe, whereas the internal fittings are smaller than the pipe and restrict your flow. Whatever fittings you use, I would highly recommend that you keep a spare on hand in case one gets damaged.

Texas PaPaw":2tv61zz9 said:
I have had the hdpe pipe out above ground for 10 years and use the plasson agrifit couplers.

Plasson is the best but more money and not available locally. When I have to use internal fitting with hose clamps I:

1) assemble it with two hose clamps per side
2) tighten with a 1/4" ratchet - - not a screw driver
3) heat with a propane torch till the HDPE softens a bit
4) retighten

You need a pressure regulator on the line. Put it close to the water tap. Also if you have a step hill at between water tap and floats put another regulator at bottom of hill. Also when roling out your water line leave some extra slack in it. That will help a lot. Good luck.

we use FloPlast fittings. They are pretty easy and we haven't had any leaks. Pretty expensive, but for larger pipe, we couldn't find any fittings to work.

Latest posts