Black Stock Tanks

Help Support CattleToday:

2barmcattle

Reaction score
Have heard many discussions on black stock tanks. They are suppossed to naturally keep the water warm enough to slow down freezing.

What about painting the outside of galvenized tanks??? Would that help or would they need to be black on the inside.??

Thanks,

Black tanks help us here in central NC. They do freeze but slower and more important they thaw faster- of course they have to be in the sun :) Even if they don't thaw all the way the edges thaw so I can dump out the left over ice block faster.
I gave away all my metal ones just because of that.

My metal ones experienced galvanic corrosion probably attributed to heavy mineral in the water. Even if I used dielectric protection. I like the black plastic and this is just one more reason.

Metal is an excellent conductor of thermal energy. If you have the time, effort, and a few bucks, paint the outside in FLAT BLACK paint. Then, put a wooden skirt around the perimeter, affixed to tank with wire, chain, or whatever. Paint the skirt black. Would probably give you an R-value of 3 or 4. Or, could spray the industrial foam on the tank between the tank and the wood skirt.

Just an idea that came to me... ;-)

An afterthought...

Put the metal stock tank (painted black on outside) INSIDE another metal tank one size larger. Paint the second one black. The spray foam between the two tanks. (Or, could use some other waterproof insulating material---would have to make sure cattle couldn't get at and eat the alternative insulation).

Find a dairy bulk tank. They are double walled and insulated. If you go to an auction, you will be outbid by the scrap dealers, but if you are just out driving around you will see them time to time. The 200-300 are just to small for todays dairies. I bought mine for under $100.

Running Arrow Bill":r4cob0vd said:
An afterthought...

Put the metal stock tank (painted black on outside) INSIDE another metal tank one size larger. Paint the second one black. The spray foam between the two tanks. (Or, could use some other waterproof insulating material---would have to make sure cattle couldn't get at and eat the alternative insulation).
You really need to rethink this. If you paint the inside tank black how would the sun's rays get to it? If you insulate between how would the heat pass through the insulation to the inside tank and then to the water?
Am I missing something here? It would help insulate the water from freezing temps outside but the surface would still freeze.

novatech":95urzvt3 said:
Running Arrow Bill":95urzvt3 said:
An afterthought...

You really need to rethink this. If you paint the inside tank black how would the sun's rays get to it? If you insulate between how would the heat pass through the insulation to the inside tank and then to the water?
Am I missing something here? It would help insulate the water from freezing temps outside but the surface would still freeze.

In most parts of the USA the sun in winter is at least 30-40 degrees above the horizon, usually more. Sun still hits "back side" of tank.

Surface will always freeze. Only way to keep it from doing it is with a tank heater. Objective is to "slow down" rate of freezing. You'll always have to chip some ice when it's really cold without heater (or continually re-circulating water).

Just part of winter ranching... ;-) We've found that when we have several days of teen's and lower 20's (rarely here) that just chipping out a small hole (e.g., 18" dia or so) on side of tank when animals can drink, the rest of the ice actually is a good insulator over the water.

I haven't found that it makes any difference, up here a fella will wind up with a 90 gallon ice cube and most likely a split tank. They freeze solid....the voice of experience.
Tank heaters are the way we go.
DMc

There are some made out of HUGE tires. What kind of tires are they???. They are bigger than a tractor tire. They set a concrete bottom in them and they seem to work well.

Anything will freeze if cold enough w/out electricity for a heater. A friend made mention that these tire tanks absorb heat and don't freeze as bad. If anything it sounds like it could be a pretty economical tank.

2barmcattle":2l0fupb6 said:
There are some made out of HUGE tires. What kind of tires are they???.

Anything will freeze if cold enough w/out electricity for a heater. A friend made mention that these tire tanks absorb heat and don't freeze as bad. If anything it sounds like it could be a pretty economical tank.

Danged if I know, but we've got two of them. One freezes on a regular basis, but the other one doesn't. I think it is the way they are situated - the one that doesn't freeze as often is in a south pen, and sits closer to guard rail fences on the south and west - whereas the other one is in a north pen and the guard rail fence is only on the west, and is farther away. Projected heat, maybe? Or just protection from the wind? I don't know why one freezes quicker than the other, but that is the case.

sensative, flexible pole weighted at bottom with a flat paddle which extends above and below the water level. Place a 3 way sail at top of the pole and let the wind move the pole which in turns paddles the water disturbing the surface. Should keep it from freezing over.

Also can use one of those mini windmills to create the agitation of the water surface too. Just need to develop a way to harness the energy onto the surface of the water to keep it from freezing over.

WOW!!!

This sounds like it could work. Maybe not up north but, here in Oklahoma this may do the trick. THANKS

Latest posts