Filling stock tanks from pond

Help Support CattleToday:

Statefan62

Reaction score
im wanting to design a watering system where I can pump water into stock tanks from a existing pond with a float system that shuts it off and on. Electric is there but I don't want to trench in a water line from my richies . Any advice would be great

Thanks

You can find commercial units on the internet, or make one:

1) floating intake or framework to support an intake pipe
2) 12v pump
3) battery n solar charger
4) some kind of a pressure or float shut off switch for the pump
4) big stock tank, or a pressure tank

Someone had a photo posted of a system mounted on a small 2 wheel trailer, to pull from pond to pond.

I've been looking at getting a 12v pump to suck some water out of a creek to fill a tank in a coral. I'd like to be able to wean the calves every year in the coral next to the cows. It only 1/2 mile from the house, so I don't need a float system. Anyone have a link for a pump that would work?

Can you put a automatic shutoff on a gravity fed pipe? Pond it's probably 50 feet away from the fence .

Statefan62":3iahcp2j said:
Can you put a automatic shutoff on a gravity fed pipe? Pond it's probably 50 feet away from the fence .

I haven't used these but folks that do swear by them. Little Giant Trough-O-Matic
61nzx5fkUAL._SL1200_.jpg

Stocker Steve":2awka3kn said:
Silver":2awka3kn said:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/rule-industries--3700-gph-heavy-duty-electric-bilge-pump--212761?recordNum=9

Just rig it up on a float.

Looks fancy. Have you used one?

Yes, it's what I use to fill my solar trough. The company I bought the trough through deals in these pumps, and sells version mounted on a doughnut like float for pumping out of an open water source.

Can get bilge pumps for like 50 bux that will do the job. + Battery, solar panel, charge controller.

Connect the pump to a piece of styrofoam insulation board to float it in a pond.

I have one of those bilge pumps as backup, hoping not to have to use it. But I figure it will buy me the time required to get a good one shipped up should the Rule fail. I think it's a "you get what you pay for" deal. Chinese stuff makes me nervous.

Latest posts