Crazy Black Baldie

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbillycwo

Reaction score
Had a B/BW heifer that I bought at 500 lbs off the market. Raised her with some really tame Angus heifers and it seemed the older she got the worse her temperment became. She went to the market today but I was wondering if anyone had seen this before. She was never mistreated and was always with gentle stock. As she would never gentle down is the oly reason she went to town. We cull for that. Any ideas on how to gentle one that behaves like this?

You calmed her down the only way I have ever found. Some cows just seem to have a screw loose and as they get older it gets looser

Thanks Dun. Can't believe I actually did something right....finally!!! LMAO! Guess even dumb old sailors can learn something! Have a great day!

I must have a screw loose to be messing with raising calves!

some cows are wild an crazy no matter how they are raised.an you did the right thing by sending her down the road.

Could have had a vision or hearing problem. Seems like they get really nervous with that.

I had a cow that was calm enough that I sprayed pinkeye spray in her eyes while she was eating out of a trough, but a year later it took 3 days without water to get her to come into a pen so I could catch her. She had gotten so crazy I had to park across a bean field and walk in behind the barn because she would bolt when my truck pulled up.

Nope no hearing or vision problems for her. She would see or here us coming on the tractor, in the truck or on the four wheeler and up her head would go and she'ld get to making tracks. Kept my other cows stirred up so down the road she went. I will post what she brought when I get it.

hillbillycwo":2jixrmxw said:
Nope no hearing or vision problems for her. She would see or here us coming on the tractor, in the truck or on the four wheeler and up her head would go and she'ld get to making tracks. Kept my other cows stirred up so down the road she went. I will post what she brought when I get it.
Kind of funny how one looney will get them stirred up but 50 calm ones won't calm them down

Yep blows my mind too Dun. This *&^( almost got a dose of lead to calm her down. My brother-in-law took care of it for me as the Navy has me busy right now and he said he didn't think he was gonna be able to keep her in the barn. The cattle hauler said she wore the trailer out and cleared the runs and the ring at the sale barn. Hope she went to the kill pen but I doubt it more likely the feedlot. Man won't those fellas be surprised. It doesn't do any good at our sale barns to tell them to take them to the kill pen. All it does is give the buyers a chance to get them cheaper from you and she was docked anyway because of her temperment. Well I am off for the rest of the week time for honey dooos. Lee

My grandpa had one last fall like that real bad. You'd step out of the truck and if she was 50 yards from you she'd come running at you with business and would be more than ready to get in the cab with you. She was miss handled prior and reason she was so cheap. Way he'd do it is drive to her and get close enough to where she was paying attention but not in her flight zone, jump out and throw her a few leafs of a square bale and get back in before she got there and leave. She'd charge every time but find the hay, this winter she wouldnt charge or flee as quickly as she was use to the truck meaning food.

Might not work every time but handling her that way made her decent to be around though I know a lot of people here just dont have the time for screwballs like that.

The heifer sold good weighed 697 and I cleared 594.00. I was happy made about 100.00 clear after feed and expenses be nice to have had about 50 to go at that. Main thing is our farm safety is better.. A bad actor is bad hurt waiting to happen. Part of me felt sorry for her as no animal should be mistreated. But we treated her respectfully and she would not calm down. So down the road she went. Hopefully to the hamburger mart. Time to look for next years heifers to buy.

hillbillycwo":3p9jevyv said:
The heifer sold good weighed 697 and I cleared 594.00. I was happy made about 100.00 clear after feed and expenses be nice to have had about 50 to go at that. Main thing is our farm safety is better.. A bad actor is bad hurt waiting to happen. Part of me felt sorry for her as no animal should be mistreated. But we treated her respectfully and she would not calm down. So down the road she went. Hopefully to the hamburger mart. Time to look for next years heifers to buy.
May not have been mistreated, may have just been a nut. I've seen the clamest cows raise a total lunatic and the craziest cows raise PITA pets

Sorry for the delay in reply Dun. Transferred to FL over the past month.

Hope to live long enuff to gain your experiences, hope to be smart enuff to gain your experiences an easier way by listening to others. :D

Latest posts