Black Cherry Log

Help Support CattleToday:

Nice log. I picked up three similar logs a few years ago and had them sawn. I let them dry for a couple of years under the barn and have been making a few things out of it as I get around to them. Its amazing how many boards are in a log that size.

That's what I was thinking, as heavy as that log is there has to be a lot of boards. Jo, what size and length boards did you have sawn?

I sawed mine the full length of the logs. Ended up with boards that were 14 inches wide to 8 inches wide. I also had him saw them a little better than a full inch so I would have room for shrink and to plane them again when I went to use them. Out of three cherries I ended up with 1.5 bundles. The largest bundle was almost more than my tractor could lift. Biggest problem I had with it was splitting at the ends which is why I was glad I left them long. You will probably get about 200 board feet out of that log which will be a lot of lumber.

So far mine has been used to make a baby crib, some shelves, a tool mount, a bed and some cabinets and I still have a pile about 2.5 foot tall and 10 - 12 foot long. I imagine you will have a good source of project wood for a long time.

Here are the cabinets. Not bad looking wood for "junk hardwood".

I've got my eye on a red bay that is about 20" DBH and a good 30 feet to the first limb and is as clean as a whistle. It will take me a day to get it out of the woods and I want to get it bad but I keep putting it off. The grain of this tree is blood red and should make some pretty furniture. But life keeps getting in the way of the things I need to do. :oops:

Good info, thanks! What if the log was dried before sawing? Is that a viable option or would it be too hard to saw?

Your cabinets look fantastic! That's exactly what I want my boards to look like when they're finished.

You might better go on and get the redbay before the ambrosia beetles migrate over this way and get it. Have you been to the coast and seen how all the redbays there have died from imported ambrosia beetles?

I did some hardwood floors with cherry, and some walnut that I took down. I had a really long time invested in kiln drying them, and waiting for them to be milled. I might have even had more money in the floor, than I could have paid for boxed hardwood. If my wife has time today, I will post pics.

Would you peel the bark to hasten drying process? Any bug damage?

It looks like you will be able to get out a decent sized table, a gun stock, a couple of pipes and still have some smoking chips left :D

Jo, that is beautiful!

http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/Hoss7 ... 1.jpg.html]
null_zps637e5661.jpg
[/URL]
s1357.photobucket.com/user/Hoss789/media/null_zpsae692781.jpg.html]
null_zpsae692781.jpg
[/URL]
com/user/Hoss789/media/null_zps682e987c.jpg.html]
null_zps682e987c.jpg
[/URL]

I put a walnut border, around every room in my house with an oak floor. I put some kind of walnut design, in the middle of each room. I only had enough cherry for one room. The trees were taken down in a tornado, that destroyed my original home.

That's beautiful Bigfoot. Thanks Alison. I wish I had a picture of the bed and the crib but the baby was coming pretty quick.

GP, The log would still check and it would also take it forever to dry. Sawing it now is what I'd suggest then stick some tobacco sticks between the boards and let them dry a year per inch. You will get some checking on the ends but you will have plenty of useful wood and even with the check pieces you can make short cuts with these so they are not wasted.

If you decide to dry it whole there is a liquid paraffin you can coat the ends with to reduce the water loss that will help some but I suspect you already have checks in it if you look close.

Thanks for the good advice, Jo. There is already checking on the ends as you say. I'll get it sawn this week and do what you said with the tobacco sticks. Did you use any insecticide on yours while it was drying?

Good looking flooring, Bigfoot.

I didn't use any insecticide. Just stacked it in a dry spot in the barn and let it sit. Didn't have any trouble at all. After about 2 months I pulled the sticks and let them lay on top of each other just like any other board. I think by sawing them you will allow for the moisture to come out the sides instead of it all being forced out the ends which reduces the checking. Not sure but I think this is right.

Joe those are great lookin cabinet bases and Bigfoot amazing floors! :tiphat:

I am envious of you fellas. We have no hardwood here and only Cedar and Bristlecone Pine to do anything good with.

Jo and bigfoot thats some good looking stuff... You all have now gave me inspiration to do something with the logs I get besides build sheds and barns and shelves lol

Jogeephus":2vxus5ld said:
I didn't use any insecticide. Just stacked it in a dry spot in the barn and let it sit. Didn't have any trouble at all. After about 2 months I pulled the sticks and let them lay on top of each other just like any other board. I think by sawing them you will allow for the moisture to come out the sides instead of it all being forced out the ends which reduces the checking. Not sure but I think this is right.
Sounds right to me, I think you have it pretty well figured out!

I air dried some popular once. I had it sawed as wide as possible, and 3/4 in thick. Planed it to 1/2 inch, and jointed the sides. I had it in my shop (Probably the driest air that I have besides my house). I covered the LQ of a horse trailer in it, and made cabinets etc. It dried for about 3 months, and was ready to go. I rubbed a little vegetable oil on it, to pop the grain. It was really pretty when I finished it. The guy charged a little extra to saw it thin. It seems like I had about 20 cents a board foot in it. I have often wished that I had covered my man cave in it.

I'd also caution anyone from using it too early. I have a friend who didn't let it dry properly and he put the boards in his new house on the walls and the floor using tongue and groove. The wood dried more in the house and pulled back making what was beautiful floors look like crap. The walls weren't as noticeable but the floors are a wreck especially after he took wood puddy and tried to fill the gaps and match the stain. He now wishes he had listened.

When we had the hickory floors laid in our house the lumber place said to let them acclimate to the house for several days before putting down and that was kiln dried hickory.

Latest posts