black or green ink?

Help Support CattleToday:

robdogtn

Reaction score
I am new to registered cattle and fixing to tattoo my first calves as they hit the ground. When I bought my tattoo pliers it came with black ink. They were out of green and said they wouldn't be carrying it any more. So, my question to you old timers is will the black ink show up in an angus ear? Or do I need to wait and get green?

Thanks

My experience nothing shows up really well on a black angus ear. The thick green paste works best. If you blunt the needles they will make bigger holes, work the paste into them with a toothbrush or terry cloth. Good Luck! @

Thanks, that was my thoughts. I figured if it ever came a problem I would have to shave ear to see either way.

robdogtn":35ouai9f said:
Thanks, that was my thoughts. I figured if it ever came a problem I would have to shave ear to see either way.

Just shine a flashlight on the ear from the back side...the tattoo will show up great.

Our association allows the white ink... which came with our pliers way back whenever, but the black works fine on red ears. :D

TexasBred":37lfi6ju said:
robdogtn":37lfi6ju said:

Just shine a flashlight on the ear from the back side...the tattoo will show up great.
I was just about to post about the flashlight myself. That and not taking the vets word when he said there was no tattoo there saved me a cow one time.
Make sure you clean the ear good if hard to see the numbers.

Latest posts