black face baldies

Help Support CattleToday:

Most are a cross of Angus and Hereford. Other crosses can result in the same. The F1 cross is the most likely becasue the bald gene is dominate and then recessive after that. Very good cross the Angus X Hereford. Most will out perform thier parents.

warpaint":3gibz6tg said:
Not to be technical, but do you mean black baldies?

i think a black baldie w/ a black face is just a black cow... :)

lol yes I mean black baldies.. Sorry newborn baby keeping me wore out. Momma had a hard time and I am making her rest and getting very little myself.
I was wondering what would offspring would look like from angus cows croseed with charolais Bull. Would they be black with a white face? or what?

BP

I believe you would get a black cow or what some have called a smokey.

You wouldnt get a black baldie.

An angus bred to a charolias can result in a black calf, a white one, or a smokey one but that combination wont give you a baldie unless there is some other genetics involved.

brierpatch1974":pgdos273 said:
lol yes I mean black baldies.. Sorry newborn baby keeping me wore out. Momma had a hard time and I am making her rest and getting very little myself.
I was wondering what would offspring would look like from angus cows croseed with charolais Bull. Would they be black with a white face? or what?

BP

Not unless there was a Hereford or possibly a Simmenthal in the woodpile somewhere.
http://skyway.usask.ca/~schmutz/CowPatt ... l#Hereford

dun

I'm under the impression that a true Black Baldy is a Black Angus X Hereford. Not anything else.

Alan

Alan":25xgrfdr said:
I'm under the impression that a true Black Baldy is a Black Angus X Hereford. Not anything else.

Alan

Unless you know the heritege of a particular baldy, there is no way to know if it;s from an AngusxHereford, HerfordxHolstein, Simmenthal xAngus, SimmenthalxHolstein, etc. You can guess, but you can;t alwasy tell

dun

Alan":nadb7uft said:

Alan

Black baldy parents can have calves that are baldies. Or you can cross a baldy bull with an angus etc.

backhoeboogie":3hgy3g49 said:
Alan":3hgy3g49 said:

Alan

Black baldy parents can have calves that are baldies. Or you can cross a baldy bull with an angus etc.

Using the F1 X to an Agus cow or Angus bull on an F1 more times than not you will get a solid faced animal. Probly like 75% chance. The BLK baldies I have usually have solid calves. When they calve with colored faces it is usually a mottled face. Anyway after the first generation the bald gene is recessive.

Scotty":k63p8jar said:
Using the F1 X to an Agus cow or Angus bull on an F1 more times than not you will get a solid faced animal. Probly like 75% chance. The BLK baldies I have usually have solid calves. When they calve with colored faces it is usually a mottled face. Anyway after the first generation the bald gene is recessive.

I am not here to argue numbers or percentage, I truly don't know. But I have seen baldy cows have baldy calves. Dad had a baldy bull in the early 80's that threw some baldy calves too. Yes I have seen mottled ones too.

Beyond a doubt most common is a hereford angus cross.

Latest posts