Black bulls/Hereford cows

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
We might have an opportunity to buy a nice/quality set of Hereford cows. We are thinking if we do to breed them to black balancer or Angus bulls. Anyone on here currently doing this or have done this? We were gong to go with Angus cows and Hereford bulls but might have an opportunity to do the opposite.

tncattle":i9plrqbd said:
We might have an opportunity to buy a nice/quality set of Hereford cows. We are thinking if we do to breed them to black balancer or Angus bulls. Anyone on here currently doing this or have done this? We were gong to go with Angus cows and Hereford bulls but might have an opportunity to do the opposite.
Haven't done it myself. Just darn near impossible to find a set of "good hereford cattle" around this neck of the woods.

tncattle":p80dwnin said:
Watch those teats and udders on the herfs...like to have some good Hereford momas myself,, like was said,they ain't plentiful around here either thanks to the discrimination....

The advantage of going that way here is that a Hereford cow will be less expensive than an Angus cow of equal quality. But it is tough to find those Hereford cows in any numbers.

Black-whiteface sells good around here. We breed and raise registered Herefords and one of our top goals is to breed cattle with really good udders. Bad uttered cattle will be culled immediately. A lot of us Hereford breeders are trying real hard to eliminate the coloration of bad udders with Hereford cattle.

MRRherefords":3fcv9opm said:
Black-whiteface sells good around here. We breed and raise registered Herefords and one of our top goals is to breed cattle with really good udders. Bad uttered cattle will be culled immediately. A lot of us Hereford breeders are trying real hard to eliminate the relation of bad udders with Hereford cattle.

Black-whiteface sells good around here. We breed and raise registered Herefords and one of our top goals is to breed cattle with really good udders. Bad uttered cattle will be culled immediately. A lot of us Hereford breeders are trying real hard to eliminate the relation of bad udders with Hereford cattle.

Most of the black baldies produced around here are from hereford cows and angus bulls; or black bull of other breeds. We can buy a commercial hereford cow for $2-500 less than a black cow at the sales. So we wind up with more of the colored cows from cattle sales than the blacks. Works for me.

I don't know anything about black balancer cattle? Would they produce consistently black white-faced calves?

If you're far enough south that a little ear won't hurt you I'd recommend using a Brangus bull. And that's not a theoretical recommendation. I'm doing it myself, and have been for years.

Dave":b9l9v9ml said:
The advantage of going that way here is that a Hereford cow will be less expensive than an Angus cow of equal quality. But it is tough to find those Hereford cows in any numbers.

This is an absolute fact in my area too. The ones you can find with any quality are not of the inexpensive variety either!

We're 50 miles from the Tn/Ky state line and ear cattle don't have the market here like further South.

tncattle":67801t0q said:

We have done that for several years, using Angus bulls on Hereford cows, and it works well for us. The bwf steers do and sell good, and the bwf heifers are real well received as replacement females in bred heifer sales. Last year and this year we will be breeding most of our cows to Hereford bulls to get more Hereford replacements then will likely go back to some Angus bulls.
Not meaning to offend any Angus folks, but just my opinion, Hereford cows on average are a better fit for us. They are calmer, easier handing, and seem to be more fertile too.

Ky hills":1lzihq7m said:
tncattle":1lzihq7m said:

We have done that for several years, using Angus bulls on Hereford cows, and it works well for us. The bwf steers do and sell good, and the bwf heifers are real well received as replacement females in bred heifer sales. Last year and this year we will be breeding most of our cows to Hereford bulls to get more Hereford replacements then will likely go back to some Angus bulls.
Not meaning to offend any Angus folks, but just my opinion, Hereford cows on average are a better fit for us. They are calmer, easier handing, and seem to be more fertile too.
Totally agree. We had angus for a little bit and then switched totally over to Hereford. Much calmer. and as you said seem more fertile. Seem to milk better too. Our customers at least around us prefer the Herefords over the Angus all the time. Doesn't mean Angus aren't good, They really are, just not a great fit for us. (The Angus were harder on our fences and always had a nose for the other side of the fence.)

tncattle":dvaywgmk said:
Have you considered putting a PB Gelbvieh bull over those Hereford mommas? You could then put an Angus bull over the resulting F1's for a 3 way cross if you wanted to. I would think that there would be a good selection of Gelbvieh breeders close to your area. Post Rock cattle out of Kansas will have a sale in February, and I know they ship cattle to Clarksville Tn. Sometimes.

Latest posts