Black Cow????????????

Help Support CattleToday:

grubbie":27ydr0dq said:
Yes, most everyone advertises an "angus" burger. But at the volume that they have to buy beef, they don't know if it is angus or not. Neither does the general public. It's marketing, not angus. Angus has become a buzz word in the dining industry. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with eating, or raising angus. They are a great breed. But once the hide comes off, there are some breeds that you can't tell apart. As far as sale prices go, it depends on where you live I guess. Black doesn't bring any more than red here, or baldies, or charolais, or gelbvieh.

If it's a USDA certified ANGUS program, they have to have USDA-aproved rules, maintained under USDA-certified graders and inspectors proving the "angus" designation. That's the law. Most of those programs simply use black as proof of angus influence. Thus buyers are looking for more black cattle to fill these programs.

backhoeboogie":1c3yr86b said:
Frankie":1c3yr86b said:
backhoeboogie":1c3yr86b said:
Welcome to the forum.

There are a lot of opinions on color. Mostly I think it is marketing and consumer influence thereof. Mostly I run brangus which are black. I have some brindles, F1 charlais crosses etc. When I have a calf that is colored up, I put it in the freezer for myself.

When you look at the real tests, Murray Greys are number 1. They are not black. I don't own any MGs so this is no sales pitch. But if it is really about quality of meat, why are MGs not the animal the consumer is demanding? (The answer is marketing and advertising)

Seems that those sorry Angus can improve a lot of cattle. :lol:

BrANGUS = 5/8 Angus 3/8 Brahman
Murray Greys = 1/2 Angus 1/2 Shorthorn.

Angus can't cut the climate so the Brahman had to improve them. This comes straight out of Oklahoma State University website "Research at Louisiana has indicated that Brangus cows increased their weights during the summer months while Angus cows lost weight, indicating that they were more adapted to coastal climates." http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/

Shorthorn influence in the MGs made them #1 in beef quality.

It seems to me you have it backwards. Brahma and Shorthorn improved the angus.

I hate to burst your bubble, but the info on the OK State site is provided by the breed association. :) So, of course, the Brangus link is going to provide supportive info for Brangus. And I have no problem with Brangus. If they work for you, fine, but you do like to bash MY breed, don't you?

Improved Angus? :lol: Perhaps the Gelbvieh people were trying to improve Angus when they created Balancers? Or the Limousin people were trying to improve Angus when they created Limflex? Shall I go on? Maines, Simmentals, Black Herefords, Salers? I hadn't realized how generous all the other breed associations were that they've all worked so hard to improve MY breed. :lol:

You are very correct that most of the cattle in southeast GA are black. That's what sells the best around here, so that is what I have.

All cattle look good to me, black ones just make better financial sense.

It's funny, the comments on black Angus and heat. :lol: In the range country ND, WY, MT, CO, etc it hits 90 + degrees many, many days. No shade anywhere. The Black Angus dominate the landscape, never heard of one being overheated. :lol: :lol:
Then you have to -40degree and -80 windchill in Winter. there is NO easier keeper in the cold then a Black Angus.
You hardly ever have eye, udder, or leg problems with a Black Angus. Black Angus will maintain their weight and raise a market topping calf on the sparsest grass conditions.
And when it's all said and done, Black Angus beef is by far the most popular with the consumer.

So, bash the Black Angus if you like :cowboy:

I can tell you for sure. Black Angus are not about to lose popularity.

Frankie":ej0dmygn said:
grubbie":ej0dmygn said:
Yes, most everyone advertises an "angus" burger. But at the volume that they have to buy beef, they don't know if it is angus or not. Neither does the general public. It's marketing, not angus. Angus has become a buzz word in the dining industry. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with eating, or raising angus. They are a great breed. But once the hide comes off, there are some breeds that you can't tell apart. As far as sale prices go, it depends on where you live I guess. Black doesn't bring any more than red here, or baldies, or charolais, or gelbvieh.

If it's a USDA certified ANGUS program, they have to have USDA-aproved rules, maintained under USDA-certified graders and inspectors proving the "angus" designation. That's the law. Most of those programs simply use black as proof of angus influence. Thus buyers are looking for more black cattle to fill these programs.

The USDA is a government program. We all know how trustworthy the government can be. Even so, I can understand that USDA Certified probably carries more weight than someone just saying they have 100% Angus burger or steak. But you must agree, that this cannot be true in most cases. Im sure even the USDA doesn't do DNA tests. I have many cows that are solid black, none of them are even 50% Angus. I have solid blacks that are 50% longhorn, 25% Hereford, and 25% angus. The USDA would call it 100% Angus because it is polled and black, and would become a "100% Certified Black Angus Burger". I am quite sure that most places claiming "Angus" don't have a clue whether that beef on the plate started with fur of black, red, white, or any combination. I do understand why black cattle bring higher prices in some parts of the country, I'm just saying it has little to do with meat quality, and more to do with marketing.

Frankie":jw3bad3i said:
If they work for you, fine, but you do like to bash MY breed, don't you?

Jerking your chain has nothing to do with the breed.

If I put a video of them panting in misery under the pecan trees out on U-Tube, It would be a bash to everyone.

MNM is absolutely correct about winter. As I said, the few I have I calve in the fall and they do great in the winter.

Let me add for the record, I am not "bashing" angus in any way. As I stated before, it is a great breed, and I couldn't make baldies without 'em. :cboy:

You are a little farther south than me,but I don't have cows panting under pecan trees.Our cows seem to get their fill and lay around in the shade during the hot part of the day,they did the same thing in Ohio as they do in Oklahoma.

Eat Beef the vet tells me it is not the heat of the day. They can forage at night. Their problem is when our high over night temps stay high.

All I know is what I see.

They do fine in the winter for me.

grubbie,
I sold half Longhorn, 1/4 Beefmaster, 1/4 Beefalo calves at the sale barn, they were solid black, had small horns, a little bit of ear. They brought 1.20 a lb. The Longhorn sire was black and white spotted, very thick and beefy. The 1/4 Beefalo blood came from a solid black Brangus based Bison hybird bull. So the Angus influence was very small and again let me say that they all had horns. Now I can't swear where these calves ended up but I'll bet Hardee's sold em as Black Angus beef. I agree with you.

I love this discussion anytime it comes up on the boards.
The way everyone supports their breed can only mean cattle in general will always be welcome, needed, used, and bred. That's good for the industry and pastime as a whole.
Regarding "black cows", there's no question that Angus are a fantastic breed. You can't get to the top of the hill without some "granny in your tranny", and they have proven themselves solid in that respect.
But more than all or any other breeds?
Seems to me there's no question of the fact that AAA is well proven in the marketing department as well.
Around me "Black" is the determining price factor. Not PB Black Angus, Black!
Some of the crosses I've seen to get to black, and what they call commercial Angus?
Hmmmm?
I'm thinking Angus is going to suffer a few chinks in the armor trying to be the one and only. I hope not anything fatal, cus the true Angus is a fine thing indeed.
And all in all, it's good to have anybody promoting cattle cus we're all hooked on'em one way or another.
If they could just come up with a "green hided" cow, CGB, Then even the vegans might...

cmf1":lqbvm7d4 said:
If they could just come up with a "green hided" cow, CGB, Then even the vegans might...

I'm working on it but I just can't get those dimwits to understand I am offering them an organic plant concentrate that tastes better and is better for you.

EAT BEEF":3l0hx0b6 said:
djinwa":3l0hx0b6 said:
It's too bad reds aren't more popular for the cows' benefit. I have a hard time looking at blacks in 90+ heat with humidity. Do all you ranchers in the south wear black in the summer?

I had a black sweatshirt on all day and I wear a black ball cap most every day.My black cows go lay under pecan trees in the summer after about 9 or 10 same as my red ones do.

Hmm, what's the temperature when you were wearing a black sweatshirt? Don't know where I got the idea that would make you warmer. I've not seen that garb in the summer.

djinwa":1jaugxq6 said:
EAT BEEF":1jaugxq6 said:
djinwa":1jaugxq6 said:
It's too bad reds aren't more popular for the cows' benefit. I have a hard time looking at blacks in 90+ heat with humidity. Do all you ranchers in the south wear black in the summer?

I had a black sweatshirt on all day and I wear a black ball cap most every day.My black cows go lay under pecan trees in the summer after about 9 or 10 same as my red ones do.

Hmm, what's the temperature when you were wearing a black sweatshirt? Don't know where I got the idea that would make you warmer. I've not seen that garb in the summer.

As to color and heat/temp, I had 5 red limousins and 5 black limousins in the same paddock a few summers ago. When it was hot, you could see the black limis breathing harder. I was very noticeable. We don't have any trees so I can't say that they would go to the trees any faster but there was a noticeable difference. I told this to a friend of mine and he said he used a heat detection gun and was able to pick up a 7 degree difference between a charolais and black cattle.

As to Angus and why they seem to sell better in the sale barn I think they have a couple of advantages. Black hide color seems to transfer very well. Meaning red (and colored cattle) have quite a bit of variation in color. But black cattle are very uniform in color. This gives at least the appearance of more uniform sets of cattle and the more uniform the better cattle seem to sell. Another advantage is the CAB program. The CAB program allows a buyer a little more leeway in that, because the animal is black, if they are marginal maybe they can get straightened out and hit the CAB premium.

As to Angus and why they seem to sell better in the sale barn I think they have a couple of advantages. Black hide color seems to transfer very well. Meaning red (and colored cattle) have quite a bit of variation in color. But black cattle are very uniform in color. This gives at least the appearance of more uniform sets of cattle and the more uniform the better cattle seem to sell.

That is a very interesting perspective. Good post.

djinwa":2j0877rv said:
EAT BEEF":2j0877rv said:
djinwa":2j0877rv said:

Well it might have gotten up to 70 that day. :)

Latest posts