Black Baldy Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

osj_99_25

Reaction score
I have black baldy bulls that were born in late July 2014. My question is when is the best time to sell them. Also should I sell them as steers or whole? This is my first herd, so Im learning as I go. Thanks.

You need to give them blackleg with tetanus and band them now. Not knowing anything about your operation or how many you have, I can't say for sure, but if you don't have a large group you would most likely want to just sell them off the cows without weaning at 6 to 7 months old, they should all be 500lbs and above by then.

Thanks for the info, Just so you know I have 8 brangus cows and a hereford bull. I have 2, 3 1/2 month heifers and 2, 2 1/2 month baldy bulls. Still need 3 more cows to calve. So you say I should band (castrate) them?

Yes i would band them, with the small green bands. They are fine to use as long as you can still get them put on.

I like the way your going on breeding, alot of my herds are the same kind of cattle. I run only brangus and horned hereford bulls on mixed cows.

Ok good. I bought my brangus heifers when they were about a year old more or less and then my polled hereford bull also about a year old. I think im on a good track in building a nice program. Thanks for all your input, I really appreciate it.

osj_99_25":ayhms3v5 said:
Thanks denvermartin and rafter. I may keep my heifers not sure yet, but definitely will sell the bulls.

Even if you don't keep the heifers for yourself, if you're set up for it you might want to consider weaning them, taking them to the vet for their shots, and getting them started on feed. Then sell them to someone directly. They should be worth a minimum $100 more than they would have brought across the scales at the auction barn.

Latest posts