Black Angus Bull on Beefmaster cows

Help Support CattleToday:

wbrowning

Reaction score
What do all of you think about running A registered Black Angus bull on some registered Beefmaster cows. I'm thinking about this cross to raise some good black comercial cows to sale at the sale barn. Just a thought but I would like some input.

browning,

why would you want to run registered cows to produce commercial calves? I could understand using a registered bull (because you would want certainty in bw,ww,etc.), but not the cow as much.

I'm thinking about the same cross. Seems good for us southern cattle men/women. I had posted a string about big red earlier that shows a calf from a angus bull and a commercial beefmaster (my best guess).

TennCattleMan57":29f40zo6 said:
After all doesnt epd stand for estimated progency something or other. Im getting old and cant remember?
EPD stands for Expected Progeny Difference.

TennCattleMan57":rgzg4fsa said:
Cypress I beg to differ with you on this to a certain degree. Just because they are registered and have good epds there are still no guarantees. After all doesnt epd stand for estimated progency something or other. Im getting old and cant remember?

TCM, my only reasoning for using a registered bull is precisely for the epd's. Yes, they are expected differences from the breed, but I would rather know what to expect than not know anything at all. Not trying to say that registered bulls are better, but you do have an idea of what you will get from them.

This would be especially useful when deciding which bull to use on heifers or a bull for replacements.

wbrowning":3b8939ua said:
What do all of you think about running A registered Black Angus bull on some registered Beefmaster cows. I'm thinking about this cross to raise some good black comercial cows to sale at the sale barn. Just a thought but I would like some input.

To answer your question, yes, they would make good cows if they come from good stock. They would be 1/2 angus, 1/4 brahman, 1/8 hereford, 1/8 shorthorn. If a man put a good Charolais or Simmental bull on them, he would have some good, heavy calves.

Sometimes when the registerd business has a low time people breed there cattle to another breed to have another market its not uncommon. i knew a hereford breeder who hit a lull and breed all his cows to a angus bull to sell baldies.and there is aways a market for baldies ;-)

Around here black calves sell very well I was thinking of going this route to sell some calves to recoupe some of my initial investment. Eventually I want to raise all registered stock. I figured a black calf from Beefmaster cow and Black angus bull would sell better than just trying to tap into the registered market as a newbie just getting my feet wet so to speak. I just wanted to see what you guys thought.

cypressfarms":6ammdlfz said:
browning,

why would you want to run registered cows to produce commercial calves?

The majority of our original cows were registered Red Angus, it gave us a solid base to work from. To get to where you want to go you gotta know where you're coming from. Using those cows and AI bulls we've managed to create a herd of pretty decent cows that work well for us and our (mis)managment.

dun

Kent":1714wxzk said:
wbrowning":1714wxzk said:

To answer your question, yes, they would make good cows if they come from good stock. They would be 1/2 angus, 1/4 brahman, 1/8 hereford, 1/8 shorthorn. If a man put a good Charolais or Simmental bull on them, he would have some good, heavy calves.

Here in Texas I would put the char. on the beefmaster first since the brahman influence should help mitigate potential birthing problems. Then keep the best females and sell the rest of those yeller calves that are so popular at the salebarns. The duaghters I would breed to the angus. JMO

wbrowning":19nbc6hi said:
Around here black calves sell very well I was thinking of going this route to sell some calves to recoupe some of my initial investment. Eventually I want to raise all registered stock. I figured a black calf from Beefmaster cow and Black angus bull would sell better than just trying to tap into the registered market as a newbie just getting my feet wet so to speak. I just wanted to see what you guys thought.
That is sounds like a good ideal from a newbie ;-)

hold it guys.if you want the black hide on the beefmasters then why not just find a reg black beefmaster bull.an put him on them.doing so should give you half black calves.scott

bigbull338":3mp5lfl2 said:
hold it guys.if you want the black hide on the beefmasters then why not just find a reg black beefmaster bull.an put him on them.doing so should give you half black calves.scott
Heck Scott, them black beefmasters have Angus blood in them, just like all the other black breeds. Another wannabe breed. Gotta go to the Angus for help. Why don't you buy Angus Plus or Brangus if you want Brahman X Angus, instead of beefmasters.

la4angus":215jinag said:
bigbull338":215jinag said:
Heck Scott, them black beefmasters have Angus blood in them, just like all the other black breeds. Another wannabe breed. Gotta go to the Angus for help. Why don't you buy Angus Plus or Brangus if you want Brahman X Angus, instead of beefmasters.

la4angus,

Do you really think that there's angus in the black beefmaster?
Serious question, not trying to be a smart alec.

cypressfarms":1leuvuun said:
la4angus,

Sure there is. Where do you think the black came from? Black Herefords :lol:
or Shorthorn which are white or red.

wbrowning":q4olpvq0 said:

If, you do not own the Beefmasters now, and if it was my money, time, land and critters. I would cross the Angus w/ a Brangus.
But that said I do feel that the Beefmaster is a comer. and the Assoc. is good. I would put it Has my second choice.

:cboy:

Okay thinking here, you have the cross in the beefmaster so standing with a good Beefmaster bull. would work well.

Door 1,2 or 3 :lol:

la4angus":8n8aib3f said:
cypressfarms":8n8aib3f said:
la4angus,

Sure there is. Where do you think the black came from? Black Herefords :lol:
or Shorthorn which are white or red.

Best black baldie calf raiser I ever had had 0% Angus blood.

She was 1/2 holstine 1/2 hereford.

She didn't last very long though. [8 yrs.]

Hillbilly

The Beefmaster/Angus cross should do well for you. My dad's doing this right now. He used a black Gelbvieh bull for four years and has now switched to a black Angus. The calves are looking really good. All have been black, a few came out with a white or brockle face from the Beefmaster's side.

I saw some black Beefmasters on a website, my first thought was that they've added Angus to get the color. I bred registered Beefmasters for several years and we never had a black one come out. Where would the black come from if not from introducing a black breed?

the black color in the beefmaster is a gene mutation.as far as i know theres no angus blood in beefmasters.right now people want the black beefmasters.an they pay high prices for them.the man im doing business with breeds the black bulls to red cows.an gets half black calves.scott

Latest posts