Birth Weight Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Now there is a trick question. Too small would probably be one that is so small that it can;t grow to 600 lbs or so by weaning. We've had 50 lb BW calves that weaned in the mid 6s and 80 lb BW calves that weaned in the low 6s.
I would think in really cold climates that calf during the cold part of the year a calf would need to be bigger just for the warmth of mass consideration.

Thanks for the quick response, Dun. We just had the smallest calf ever born yesterday. I bet she doesn't weigh 60 lbs and 20 of that is in her long legs!

All our calves are smaller but they do grow fast. The largest calf we have had born was in the 80lb range.

From our old bull we got a lot of 50-55 lb calves. By weaning you couldn;t tell the difference. But, they have to have both the genetics for growth AND a dam that can milk enough to providde for that rapid growth

Just checked the WDA and BW for the past 2 years. At birth the heaviest calf was 87 lbs and the lightest was 50 lbs. The lowest gauib frin birth toi the first weigh was 3.69 lbs the highest was 7.68 the average was 5.56

you want small calves.that way they hitt the ground growing.if the cow an calf is beefmaster.im sure itll grow good.unless the cow dosent have much milk.

bigbull338":1yz4wlfu said:
you want small calves.that way they hitt the ground growing.if the cow an calf is beefmaster.im sure itll grow good.unless the cow dosent have much milk.

Same here...I like the 65 lb. calves. If they can reach the tit and the mother has milk they'll grow like wild (if they are worth a dime).

Thanks guys, I was beginning to worry that our calves were too light. They are all healthy and grow like bad weeds!

We made the mistake with our first round of calves in 2006 of over feeding the momma cows, not realizing the strain delivering such a large calf can be. Thank goodness we did not have to pull any and 4 were first calf heifers. Our 2007 calves were all smaller, but still very healthy. We have 2 mommas that calf separately in summer and the other 4 in the late fall. We are going to hold the re-breeding of these 2 back to get in sync with the rest of the herd.

I guess after seeing 80lb calves the 60lb ones sure do look little.

BTRANCH":jin3q1qd said:
Is there such a thing as too small a calf? What would be an ideal weight?

I think the ideal weight would be one the cow could handle easily. Calves out our first calf heifers usually weigh in the #70s. Calves out of our mature cows usually run in the #80s, sometimes lighter. I don't know that we've ever had a #100 calf born here. Rember that smaller calves at birth have more pounds to make up on their heavier contemporaries.

Depending on the time of year we have anywhere from 85#'s to one born the other day at 43#'s. Now I would prefer a smaller calf that lived to a large calf thats died. As long as it comes out running and is an easy delivery I am happy. Did the 150# calf thing. Never want to do it again. Seem to get great responses when we sellem so the smaller calves are fine with me.
Double R

Remember the easier the birth the faster the calf gets up and the cow is up licking and tending to the calf. Easy births have a lot to do with a cow cycling early and on time. Big calf size is in no way an advantage in cold weather. The easier the birth the more energy the calf has to get up and going quickly.

A 1200 pound cow will have trouble with a breach 90 pound calf, a 75 pound calf you maybe won't know it was a breach birth.

You have a 90 pound calf and a 70 pound calf, whats going to be to average amount of additional weight? 20 pounds maybe? Odds are a herd with 90 pound average birth weights is going to have more deaths and calving difficulties. So pounds of beef sold will almost always be higher in a low birth weight herd.

I think ideal weight is 75-80 pounds for a 12-13 hundred pound cow. 65-70 pounds for a heifer.

Latest posts