Bio Mos vs Citristim

Help Support CattleToday:

Amo

Reaction score
Chambers, NE (125 miles W. of Souix City IA or 110
Just curious to hear any feed back on any of the "mos" products. My one vet says its alright, the other says its pixie dust!

Tried to do some googling. Fair bit of info on Bio Mos, Citristim where its strictly manufactured by ADM not so much. Found one feed supplier that evidently has the ability to sell both products as well as the other "Mos" products. All I got out of their monthly news letter was "all the MOS products seam to be effective on certain types of scours". http://pharmcosd.com/userfiles/document ... 5%20FP.pdf

I fight coccidiosis. In the past Ive feed either Bovatec or Rumension. Usually bovatec (better taste) and through a tub. For various reasons I went the the bovatec/tub option. Well do to certian conditions I have a good case of scours. Mostly milk which is not an issue, but some ecoli. So got some mineral with Bio Mos from my supplier of choice. He bluntly states Bio Mos will not work on cocci. Well I went to the local ADM dealer. My supplier of choice states citirstim is unproven, which not much data on it. Thing is I can get 5# packages of the citirstim. So thought Id try mixing that in with my rumensin mineral. Try to take care of both issues with one product. Guy running the store stated that one of their customers feels that feeding citirstim helped cut their coccidiosis by more than 50%. He stated that Citristim is made from a whole yeast cell, where "other" products aren't. So Citristim will attract more pathogens than say Bio Mos.

My one vet says its all b.s. The other thinks there is some validity to the ecoli/rota stuff, but not on coccidiosis. Which I would tend to agree with. Yet I do know the producer that is claiming help on the reduction of cocci while using Citristim. Just curious if anyone has had similar results. I know individual treatment with antibiodics is proabaly the cheapest route. For various reasons, I do feel there is some merit to prevention. Sandhills calving system or any other from of seperation of groups really isn't feasable.

Thanks.

Heard of both used and seem to have some health benefits. The citri stem I have heard of alot in dairy cow rations for gut health and seems to help. I wont be using it in my mineral any time soon since it costs alot per head and have been told that you have to feed a higher level to get the scours resistance for beef cattle to the point cost wise it was nuts. Dont think I have heard anything saying it help cocci. They work just to expensive $$ wise to make sense for normal beef operation.

bmoore87":3bnpmsws said:
Heard of both used and seem to have some health benefits. The citri stem I have heard of alot in dairy cow rations for gut health and seems to help. I wont be using it in my mineral any time soon since it costs alot per head and have been told that you have to feed a higher level to get the scours resistance for beef cattle to the point cost wise it was nuts. Dont think I have heard anything saying it help cocci. They work just to expensive $$ wise to make sense for normal beef operation.

I was told the same once. Thought I'd try it. Several guys I know (sales guys) say it works. I had to be gone a lot this week, so I was shooting for prevention. Scours is slow enough I can keep ahead of that with treating & hydrating. Cocci sucks. As far as I know, you can't vaccinate for cocci. Plus I'm a one person operation. So trying to round up help & find a nice day on late February to vaccinate could be difficult. Scour boss I think (the booster shot) can be done at pref check time. Just looking at something different.

Well, feed store just called. It was busy when I was in there. He said he had ecoli and cocci turned around. So the "Mos" products don't work on cocci. With that said, it must taste good. I mixed some citirstim in with the rumension fromulated mineral. Calves sure seam to "nibble" on the stuff. So that will help to keep the intake up despite the bitterness of the rumension.

Guess there are about 5 different types of "Mos" products....Bio Mos, Integramos, citristim, etc. Seen in my looking last night, a lot of research using mos in poultry diets. Does anyone know if one is better than another, maybe for different applications, or is it just Ford vs Chevy type of thing?

Latest posts