Bio-degradable net wrap

Help Support CattleToday:

Fly-guy

Reaction score
I'm thinking my hay guy must be using bio-degradable net wrap as some of the bales he put up this summer are disintegrating as we speak and the hay I carried over from last year are just falling apart.

My question is, how long should the net wrap last? Your input will be appreciated very much!

f-g

Laying on the ground, It will last at least until the 2nd mowing next summer. I know cuz I always end up with a big wad of it under my bush hog.

OK, it looks like my warped sense of humor has done it again. My question is how long should the net wrap keep from deteriorating? The bales were put up this past summer and have already started to deteriorate and some of the ones put up last year are falling apart now.

Heat (hot sun) will make it deteriorate quickly. What is happening to you sounds normal. We have some round bales from last year and they are falling apart too.

That kind of makes it fruitless to use rolls carried over from a prior year. Personally, I remove the wrap just because I don't like it left on the ground waiting on my bush hog like RBB stated.

I don't like the biodegradable wrap. I would rather use the UV treated stuff and take it off when feeding. I guess if you knew for sure you would feed it all in one season it would be okay but I still would remove it before feeding. I bought some biodegradable twine for staking tomato plants one year and used it on a couple acres of plants. The guy at the ag supply said you could just pull the stakes and disc it under. It was rotting in the sun and tomato plants were falling over before I was thru picking. I went back to using the UV hay twine.

I guess my warped sense of humor has really backfired on this question. I wasn't aware there really was a biodegradable net wrap nor was I aware there was a uv grade of it either. And yes, I go to great lengths to remove every bit of net wrap when I put hay out.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it very much.

f-g

And have a MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of our friends here on ct.

Latest posts