Big trees

Help Support CattleToday:

Too many years running saws with power. If I am going to cut something I want it cut. I do have a little 290 Stihl with a 18 inch bar. Feels like a toy that should have a yoyo string attached.
That's what I have, a 290.

Grandpa logged out some virgin timber in the 60's with a partner. Grandpa was in the trucking business so he did the hauling.

There was a big ol tree that he told them to leave alone. He was gone one day and the partner cut it and tried to load it. They rolled them over the side to load. Partner broke the truck down. Finally loaded it on another truck and hauled it to the mill. Too big for the mill, it lay on the log yard for years. Grandpa was a man of few words, but I bet he had a few for his partner that day.

This is my present firewood saw. It is a Stihl 462 with a 32 inch bar. The 30+ year old Stihl 066 just developed too many issues to continue use. That juniper stump is 44 inches across at the widest spot. That limb just above the saw was over 16 inches on the first cut.

View attachment 23451

I'm pretty sure mine is an 066. I only use it a couple of times a year, but it still runs. The last time I had it in the shop the guy said he couldn't get parts for it. The kill switch doesn't work so I have to use the choke to flood it when I want to shut it down.

This is my present firewood saw. It is a Stihl 462 with a 32 inch bar. The 30+ year old Stihl 066 just developed too many issues to continue use. That juniper stump is 44 inches across at the widest spot. That limb just above the saw was over 16 inches on the first cut.

View attachment 23451
I have an 064/066 hybrid with some work done to it.. 210PSI compression on 100 CC was a sumbitch to start.. I had to put a decomp in it, there was no way no how you could hold that pull cord, it would just slip through your fingers and HURT

I'm a husky guy, but I really like my 044 for a 70cc saw, up in the 90cc range though I love the 394 with a bit of work done to it too,.. just a wood chomping monster.. If I have a big knotty piece of firewood I just saw it into bits, heck with splitting that stuff

Here's my "fun" saw.. the lowly Husky 61, bored, stroked, piped and ported out to 77cc, wearing a 34" bar.. outcut a healthy 394... It's got some more to give, it has a pretty small carb and the port work was not optimized for the pipe

Latest posts