Big Ranches

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan":twjf784q said:
What is the Diamond Ring Ranch?

They are a large ranch in southeastern Montana- I think they headquarter out of Miles City..The last I saw they listed Joe Goggins as the President of the corporation...They have a multi- day feeder sale each year where they sell 15,000 to 20,000 angus and baldy calves....

15 to 20,000 calves is a huge amount for a home raised operation. That would probably be one of the top 5 ranches in the US if they do. I know the church ranch in Florida which is the biggest Cow/calf operation has around 35-40000 cows and i know of ranch in the top 10 that has about 8000.

Stevenson Basin is the largest Registered seedstock breeders in North America. It is run by 2 brothers and their sons. Drought has played heck with their operation the last 4 or 5 years and might have sold some cows. I bought 25 cows,my pick from a pasture of 600 cows. Needless to say it was work picking 25 what we thought was the best cows of the same age in 1 pasture. Good people. Vermillion has many cattle and acres. Don't remember number of cattle. Nice cattle if you can find them in the timber. Best time to look at them at is weaning at the headquaters. Pat Goggins has a super headquaters along the Yellowstone River. His son Joe is a great auctioneer. Both good cattlemen. I have been to both ranches numerous times. Take Care, Sterlingbp

The Diamond Ring ranch is just one of Goggin's commercial ranches. They do not run huge amounts of cattle there, maybe 1,000 head. But they do feed alot of heifer and steer calves there that are sold in thier January sale. The reason they sell so many calves in that sale is the fact that most are their customers calves. Goggins has been known to take good care of his customers.

As far as Vermillion being bigger than Stevensons that isn't the case. One has to remember that the Stevenson outfit includes three ranches, Stevenson Angus, Basin Angus, and Diamond Dot. All three are owned and operated by the Stevenson family with seperate brothers in charge of each. Vermillion may have more commercial and registered cattle but the Stevensons have the most registered, which I believe is the subject of this post.

sterlingbp":1it9butx said:
Stevenson Basin is the largest Registered seedstock breeders in North America. It is run by 2 brothers and their sons.

Badroute: The topic of the thread was answered in my first sentance. Just bringing it to your attention. Have a good day. Sterlingbp

Latest posts