Big Ranches

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie:

You need to check your history. Quentin Stevick owned two Angus cows!

la4:

Now I know I need to watch you. There were no cooperators sticking it to Leachman, it was the other way around. End of that story.

mtnman

Well, I apparently am wrong about him being delivered in a pickup truck. But I don't think I'm wrong about how many cows he owned. Here's his story:

"When I was about 16 years old, I had two Charolais-Herford cross steers for 4-H. I called one "Wild" and the other "Woolly"! Their names were appropriate. "Wild" was the better steer, and my father thought he was good enough to be shown at the NILE show in Billings, MT. Since my parents thought it was too far to go on my own, my grandfather, "Carver Stevick" went along to help drive. I didn't realize how nervous an animal by itself in a 16 foot bumper trailer could get; and needless to say, after several hundred miles the steer lived up to his name: "Wild". I managed to get him shown-barely- and stood last in class. There was a girl just ahead of me with a Shorthorn steer that I thought was quite good. Even then it didn't bother me to disagree with a judge's placings! I asked where she had purchased her steer. She said from a lady near Lewistown, MT. This conversation was to remain in the back of my mind for a long time. My grandfather and I got my steer sold, took the money and the experience and headed home to Des Lacs, N.D.

"ZELDA"

People who have met my father, Vern Stevick, have been regaled with the story of how he sold "Traveler's" mother to me for $10.00 US.. This is true. But as Paul Harvey would say, "This is the rest of the story".
My first two years in 4-H I would have two steers: one to show, and one for a companion. By my third year, my parents thought that I was capable of handling a heifer project; so they agreed to let me take one of their replacement heifers, feed, fit, and show her; and then she would be returned to the breeding herd. At that time, the 4-H program only allowed showing yearling heifers- not as pairs later on. This program went on for several years.
My parents were very poor when they married, as were their parents before them, and all the ancestors before them. But my parents, Vern & Donna Stevick, had a dream--- and that dream was to have their own farm. To achieve that dream, my father worked full time off the farm, virtually the whole time that I was growing up. My mother stayed home and ran the place and looked after my sister and I. We were all expected to pitch in, and farm work came first, then school, then school activities.
The actual price paid for "Zelda", was $10.00 + a year's labor on the farm. "Zelda" was the nickname for "QAS Blackbird Eve 601-1", dam of "QAS Traveler 23-4". Very few people know her by "Zelda", but this 4-H heifer was named after a famous author's wife, Mrs. F. Scott Fitzgerald, in a book that my mother was reading at the time. (The Great Gatsby)
In 1971, my father thought we should try Artificial Insemination on our cows. The idea stemmed from a friend of the family, Jake Niessen of Pearson, Man. Jake had been in the Angus business for years, and was now involved with importing a new breed of cattle from Europe: Simmental from Switzerland. My dad purchased six doses of semen from Jake's new bull, "Renz", and then we had to figure out a way to A.I. the cows. Ward County had a brand new assistant county agent, fresh from university, and he agreed to A.I. for us. From the six doses of semen we got three heifer calves and one steer. I showed the steer the next year in 4-H and Jake helped us sell the heifers for $1000 each as yearlings, This was the most money we had ever seen from a cattle sale! That fall of 1972, Dad said I should go to A.I. school, so I skipped three days of high school and paid my fees to go to A.I. school. This was a typical A.I. crash course: a few hours of semen handling, half a day of passing pipettes through rotting reproductive tracts from the slaughter plant, two partial days of breeding sloppy old canner milk cows, and a few hours on nutrition, and quite a bit of time listening to how good the semen was from the sponsor of the course! Those were the good old days of A.I.ing: thawing ampules of semen in ice water, drawing the semen up the pipette, and then trying to pass that large pipette through a small cervix.
Our A.I. facilities consisted of herding the cow into my grandparents' old hip roof dairy barn, and catching her head in a milk cow stanchion from an open alley. The cows had to be gentle and/or patient. The year that "Traveler" was conceived (1977); Dad was good friends with Glenn Hetzel from South Dakota, and he had just purchased "Band 105" from Jorgenson's Angus at Ideal, S.D. Dad bought some semen on this bull, but it was slow coming on the bus. "Zelda" was ready to be bred, so I drove into Minot and waited for the bus. I got home about midnight, managed to get the cow into the stanchion and bred her in the middle of the night. On February 1, 1978 "Traveler" was born.
That same year, 1978, I was clipping cattle with my partner, Eric Aasmundstad from Devil's Lake, N.D. We were doing sale cattle in Montana, so while we were in Lewistown, I tracked down the place that had raised the good Shorthorn steer that I had seen in Billings, MT, in 1970, eight years previously. The original lady had died, but her daughter, Pawnee Muscleman, was running the ranch. Eric and I drove out there and made a deal to purchase three steers for my sister Coreen to show in 4-H. Eric and I continued to work cattle shows and sales, and that July we went to Calgary, Alberta, during Calgary Stampede to fit cattle for Shawest Simmentals at the 2nd World Simmental Congress. We were working illegally in Canada (no work permits). We entered Canada at Coutts, Alberta, in July 1978; the first time that I had ever set foot in Alberta. I started dating this cowgirl, Anne Alm, at the Stampede; although we had met the previous November at Agribition Show in Regina, Sask. We were introduced by a mutual friend, Don Jensen, of Simmental Breeders Ltd., Cardston, AB.
By the summer of 1978, I felt that "Traveler" had quite a bit of potential, and I needed to get him somewhere to be seen. Many years before a long-time family friend had had a bad experience at a bull test center in Southern Montana; but I felt that "Traveler" needed to be on test. Both Dad and Clyde Barks had spoken highly of the people who ran Treasure State Test Center at Simms, MT. Russ and Barb Pepper had just purchased the test center. I planned to take "Traveler" there, but had no way to get him there.
Enter the rodeo girlfriend with the horse trailer! But she wouldn't bring her horse trailer all the way from Claresholm, Alberta to Lewistown, MT. She did bring her truck, though, and we drove out to the Mrs. Muscleman's, picked out the three steers, borrowed her trailer, rewired the trailer to fit Anne's truck, drove to North Dakota, unloaded the steers, picked up "Traveler", drove to Treasure State Test, unloaded "Traveler" from this pink, two-horse trailer, took the trailer back to Mrs. Muscleman, and proceeded back to Alberta to work more cattle shows. Russ Pepper still laughs about "those two kids with a borrowed pink horse trailer, dropping off the very first bull for the current test season". "Traveler's" test station number was # 101. At this point the bull still didn't have a name; only his number S68!
My mother and father named the bull for me. Dad says he suggested "Traveler" because I was traveling up and down the road clipping cattle. Mother says she suggested "Traveler" because that was the name of Robert E. Lee's gray horse he rode during the Civil War.
The next time I saw "Traveler" was during Christmas of 1978. I had stayed for Christmas with Anne's family, we had gotten engaged in August, and I was taking a bus from Claresholm, AB to Billings, MT, to get cattle ready for the Denver Show for Jim Leachman. I contacted Russ Pepper and he met me at the bus depot and drove me out to see "Traveler". That was the only time I doubted "Traveler". After seeing him then, I said to Russ; "Well, I guess he won't be a $50,000 syndicate bull."
While Anne & I were in Denver with Leachman Cattle Co., we had two job offers for full time employment. I figured that with our wedding set for August 11, 1979, I needed a full time job. I decided on the job with Highfield Stock Farms, at Okotoks, AB, because it was going to allow me to do what I wanted-- work full time with show and sale cattle and to show cattle all over Canada and the U.S.
It took until the end of February, 1979, to get my Canadian work permit, and then it was only good for 90 days. At the end of the 90 days, Anne & I went to the Canadian consulate in Calgary to renew my work visa; and the gentleman who interviewed me wrote right on my landed immigrant application that I "HAD" to get married within 90 days (Aug 11)!! The Canadian government forced me to get married!
During all this time; my parents were fielding calls from people who had seen or heard about "Traveler". Mother had written to ABS (American Breeders Service) about him. I still have the letter of rejection from ABS on why they were not interested in him. Years later ABS leased "Traveler" from the syndicate that purchased him (Sitz, Stevenson, Davis, & DeNowh); and he quickly became ABS' first million dollar beef bull in semen sales.
I knew that the bull was doing good on test but was not aware of how good, and how much interest there was in him. Dad suggested that we come to Great Falls for the sale. I asked for a couple of days off work and we flew down on a Saturday. After several inquiries about how he would be sold, I dropped my 1/3 retained ownership clause on the recommendation that it would complicate the sale. I did retain the rights to 50 doses of semen per year, and the fact that his name could not be changed. I wanted people to know who raised the bull.
"Traveler" was the first bull in the ring. He started at $5000, that was more than I had expected in total. At about $30,000, Anne grabbed my knee. In my mind I can still see the sale and the whole time that Pat Goggins was selling "Traveler"; it seemed to be in slow motion. The gavel fell at $60,000 U.S. to the syndicate of Rollin' Rock, Gardner & Denowh, Basin Angus, and Sitz Angus. We took the buyers, contending bidders, auctioneer, and ring staff out for a big steak dinner; then Anne & I got on the plane, flew to Calgary, and I was back working at my job by 7:00 a.m. the next morning.
The money I got from "Traveler", less taxes, was used the following year to make the down payment on our first ranch. My ultimate dream was to have our own place. "Traveler" made that possible! We have hanging on our kitchen wall a commissioned painting of our first place, with "Zelda" standing in the forefront. The 4-H heifer that made it happen!"

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:Kt ... htm+&hl=en

redfornow":1602m53o said:
P606 was raised in central ky on a small farm. He was a transplant whose mother was killed by lightening and was finished raised on a bottle. Even that didnt slow him down. The thomas farm used him as a clean up bull, and he threw some of the nicest cows in the breed.
The rest is as they say history. It does happen but it takes ALOT of hard work and yes LUCK.

MD

I didn't know that P606's dam was struck by lightning. I talked with Conrad Stitzlein at Mohican Polled Herefords in Ohio in October 2005 and I asked if P606 dam was still active and alive. He said yes she is and that they are going to flush her once again, but he didn't state which bull they were going to use. We are talking about PW Victor Boomer P606 right? Also, his full brother, PW Mohican Nasdaq P316, just sold in the "Meet us in Montana" sale for $60,000, for 1/3 interest and full possession. So, it is kinda of wierd that P606 dam is dead. 8114 is still alive as far as I know. 8114 is the dam of P606 and P316, and owned multiply by Peyton Well Polled Herefords in Kentucky and Mohican Polled Herefords in Ohio. So, I don't know where you got your information. I just saw P606s dam last year at Mohicans. :cboy:

mtnman":3qd9t1cf said:
la4:

Now I know I need to watch you. There were no cooperators sticking it to Leachman, it was the other way around. End of that story.
mtnman
One thing about mtman. You never make mistakes and know everything.

i know that several cooperators sued leachmans and several wanted to but with the bankruptcy most if not all of them got the shaft. I don't know if sueing someone who sold the top third of your calf crop for a 50% comission and never sent you a dime of it is "Sticking to Them". I don't like the way they claimed all the glory for cattle they didn't raise, just slap a hairpin iron on them and claim the fame.

Leachmans must have gone broke from their big parties and costly promotions. I know a couple of their former cowboys that claimed you couldn't run a cow any cheaper than Leachmans did. They claimed very little if any hay was ever fed in the winter. Supposedly they were a very efficient bunch of cows, but managed by some poor cowmen.

Frankie:

The whole story isn't there. Call Quentin and ask him. He got one cow the year he got Zelda, and another bred one the next, hence, two calves were born the year Traveler was.

Here is the other one:9250718, another Band 105 son. It is confusing since Quentin's dad registered lot's of cattle under Quentin's prefix, so Quentin appears to have bred many more cattle by that time than he had actually owned. Cheaper to register under a Junior memeber, perhaps?

la:
We all make mistakes, I do, too. Just see way too many wannabes trying to do Jim a favor, riding his coattails. Don't consider you to be a wannabe, so can't figure out why you would want to be the only guy in America that sees it the way you do on that issue. She's been a shyster since he was pooping yellow in Dutchess County, NY.

badroute:
So many tales, not time to sort them all out. There is a reason that their "moderate" donors were always flushed in Pennsylvania, until the last few years before they went belly up--It's because they all weighed about a ton. Another thing, when you stock cows on pasture at 1/2 to 1/3 the rate that your neighbors do, and on cheap reservation pasture, you can have pretty cheap feed bills. But if you figured that pasture at the real value that other folks paid in the area, they were pretty high input.

mtnman

CopeMan":1mkom0n4 said:
LimiMan":1mkom0n4 said:
Express Ranches is one of the 5 largest seedstock operations in the USA. They also have some pretty darn good cattle.

Does anyone know who is 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th,....?

First is an outfitter from Mont. and 2nd is Camp Cooley. Express ranches has some nice stuff I seen some of them in KY about 2 years ago. Where are they from? Thats the only Angus ranch that I heard of that yall are talking about.

SCfarms":2t6dwv9r said:
First is an outfitter from Mont. and 2nd is Camp Cooley. Express ranches has some nice stuff I seen some of them in KY about 2 years ago. Where are they from? Thats the only Angus ranch that I heard of that yall are talking about.

Leachman used to be the biggest seedstock producer (I think by far) around ~1990. A corporation I worked for back then bought a very LARGE number of Leachman composite bulls and heifers and the bigwigs were real proud of them. I thought they were pretty mediocre myself. I had cows at the house that were comparable or better. The list of 25 largest seedstock producers you'll want is in the the National Cattlemen's Association annual beef industry review edition. I get it most years because of my membership in the Alabama Cattleman's Association and past efforts to get me to join NCBA. I can't find it in my cluttered book cases but I am sure several other more organized members also have it lying around someplace.

Hill Creek Farm":2radcm38 said:
redfornow":2radcm38 said:
P606 was raised in central ky on a small farm. He was a transplant whose mother was killed by lightening and was finished raised on a bottle. Even that didnt slow him down. The thomas farm used him as a clean up bull, and he threw some of the nicest cows in the breed.
The rest is as they say history. It does happen but it takes ALOT of hard work and yes LUCK.

MD

I didn't know that P606's dam was struck by lightning. I talked with Conrad Stitzlein at Mohican Polled Herefords in Ohio in October 2005 and I asked if P606 dam was still active and alive. He said yes she is and that they are going to flush her once again, but he didn't state which bull they were going to use. We are talking about PW Victor Boomer P606 right? Also, his full brother, PW Mohican Nasdaq P316, just sold in the "Meet us in Montana" sale for $60,000, for 1/3 interest and full possession. So, it is kinda of wierd that P606 dam is dead. 8114 is still alive as far as I know. 8114 is the dam of P606 and P316, and owned multiply by Peyton Well Polled Herefords in Kentucky and Mohican Polled Herefords in Ohio. So, I don't know where you got your information. I just saw P606s dam last year at Mohicans. :cboy:

p606's dam isnt dead. I said P606 was an ET bull, "a transplant whose mother was killed by lightening"
Big difference. If you take a look at p606 on AHA,
you will see thomas farms listed as an owner, they told me.
Now if I got that wrong I can take it. But I never said p606's dam was dead.

MD

mtnman":3pr1a89z said:
la:
. Don't consider you to be a wannabe, so can't figure out why you would want to be the only guy in America that sees it the way you do on that issue. She's been a shyster since he was pooping yellow in Dutchess County, NY.
I have been knowing Jim since he was in Dutchess County, N.Y. I would trust him then and will trust him now. I don't know any that I would trust more than I do him. And I know most of the majors Angus Breeders.

I just found this on the Web, I think back in June or July of this year, Camp Cooley was ranked 3rd in largest Seedstock operation. Behind Vermillion Ranches, and Stevenson Basin. The top three are Angus or at least have angus. Ive never heard that much about Vermillion Ranch.

CopeMan":ydvsk88v said:
I just found this on the Web, I think back in June or July of this year, Camp Cooley was ranked 3rd in largest Seedstock operation. Behind Vermillion Ranches, and Stevenson Basin. The top three are Angus or at least have angus. Ive never heard that much about Vermillion Ranch.
Vermillion is owned by the Goggins family. They also own the Western Livestock Journal, and Joe Goggins is one of the top Cattle Auctioneers in the country. Good people they are.

Latest posts