Small mom or big boy

Help Support CattleToday:

Nice pair indeed! I love a cow that grows them like that. A red baldy bull should be a hot commodity!

We worked our calves today for their booster shots.
He weighed 790# today, giving him a 205 day wt of 775#. This is not adjusted for age of dam which is an additional 67# (for Angus and Simmental) - giving him an 842# adjusted WW. He has been receiving grain during the day while away from his dam for past month - about 4.5 - 5#/day. This consists of WSC 50%, with some oats, & filler pellets (Precon) and Sure Champ. He gets to spend the nights free with his dam.
He is a Kappes Pendleton son - dam is a Mack AF.
This is her picture last year:

That's a good %wean of dams weight (63%). Better % than a black angus 1800# cow with a 900# calf...

Plus he's red. ;-)

THANKS!!
We are going to try to "beef" her up a little to make her a little more competitive for the Supreme Show. (see post in Show Board). We are increasing her whole shell corn. Was getting 2# mixed ration with 2# shell corn 2X day. Been increasing the corn - up to 4.5#/feeding. I know we can really up the feed to her, but that should be enough to put on weight. She has been holding her weight with the little we've been giving her. Group gets turned out on nice pasture all night and gets good 2nd cut hay during the day. Unlike most "show strings", we feed more roughage than grain. The "mixture" is mostly "filler" pellets like PreCon by Purina.

Our feeding is different, but that's impressive anyhow.. I have a first timer with a heifer calf I quite like, Momma is small, calf is average, I imagine when she momma has had some practice she'll make some nice ones

Congrats on the success, they look great!

Latest posts