Big Ranches

Help Support CattleToday:

showme

Reaction score
In the Brangus business JLS and Camp Cooley are the biggest. Who are the biggest in Simmental and Angus?? IN other words if you had all the money in the world what ranch would you go to; to buy cattle.

I could care less who had the biggest ranch.... I'd be chasing the genetics I wanted ... what I thought would work best in my environment, with my management (or lack of).

I've seen some mighty pricey registered stock that couldn't come close to holding there own with just regular ol good quality cows.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; I don't equate money to beauty or productivity.

A large well run operation will have a statistical advantage over a smaller operation if your looking to raise a calf that is a "one in a million" your gonna have a tough go with 30 head. Where as your odds of getting better calves from an outfit that has 1000 cows running around. I personally prefer a medium to large sized outfit for seedstock purchases. A large outfit SHOULD be able to out perform a smaller outfit.

SCfarms":25w4ph9q said:
In the Brangus business JLS and Camp Cooley are the biggest. Who are the biggest in Simmental and Angus?? IN other words if you had all the money in the world what ranch would you go to; to buy cattle.

Give me unlimited funds and I would be buying myself a big ranch. Probably something like this one here...
http://www.swranchsales.com/PropertyDetail.php?PID=122
After that I would buy ~200 head of good Angus base commercial cows before I bought the first registered female; then I would select quality over quantity. Cherry pick the most elite 20 to 30 registered cows that I can find and flush them bred to the 10 sires (dead or alive) I liked most in the Hereford breed (EPDs, phenotype, pedigree, etc). Calve about 100 recip calves a year for about 5 years and then closely evaluate the resulting 200 reg. Hereford females to see where I wanted to go with them from there. I wouldn't focus entirely on the big ranches; but I would certainly take a long hard look at Cooper's Holden's, Debter's, Tennessee River, DeShazer, Star Lake, Remitall, the Berry's, Miles City, etc

I would not be looking the largest breeder or the one with the most money . There are plenty of Ranches out there that are spending money like it grows on trees. Sometimes they are not in business but just a few years and the owner is off to some other venture. I would look for the best genetics and a Ranch that has been in business for many years . They have had the time and opportunity to build a herd of good genetics and cull from them also.As my Grand Pa always said , " big aint better, better is better".

I think of it this way. If you had one of the bigger to biggest ranches, lets say 100,000 acres plus, you aren't going to be able to afford the best of the best. You could get by alot better with just good quality nonregisterd comercial cows. Now I am not saying that just because a cow is not registered that it is going to be worse than a cow that is, and I am also not saying that some large ranches aren't registered. What I am saying is that alot of the larger ranches around here aren't registered and don't have the best of the best, and we have alot of large spreads around here. Thanks Kaneranch

kaneranch":2ny49tnd said:
I think of it this way. If you had one of the bigger to biggest ranches, lets say 100,000 acres plus, you aren't going to be able to afford the best of the best. You could get by alot better with just good quality nonregisterd comercial cows. Now I am not saying that just because a cow is not registered that it is going to be worse than a cow that is, and I am also not saying that some large ranches aren't registered. What I am saying is that alot of the larger ranches around here aren't registered and don't have the best of the best, and we have alot of large spreads around here. Thanks Kaneranch

I agree with most of that post. I don't think you can REALLY get the best possible genetic selection out of a herd of less than 100 cows; but if you go over 700 cows doing things like collecting birth weights on calves, heat checking, maintaining breeding pastures with just one bull etc become so labor intensive that it gets more and more difficult. You certainly don't want to DNA test 2500 calves to figure out which bull sired which calf. I think the ideal purebred herd markets 300 to 700 reg. calves a year. I know there are people who are quite successful who are bigger than that; but they really have to work at it.

correct me if i am wrong!
and this is only supposition!!!
i have a herd of 10 cows 100 acres
BUT i own the top 2 producing bulls in the country , selling semen that the BIG boys buy from me.
that makes them better than me?
SIZE of spread = quality????
like i said only suppostion but it has happenend

memanpa":iruh5ian said:
correct me if i am wrong!
and this is only supposition!!!
i have a herd of 10 cows 100 acres
BUT i own the top 2 producing bulls in the country , selling semen that the BIG boys buy from me.
that makes them better than me?
SIZE of spread = quality????
like i said only suppostion but it has happenend

Of course not. BUT if you are trying to breed "GREAT ONES" it is far more likely that somebody with 550 calves is going to produce a really noteworthy individual than somebody with 10 calves. With probabilities it is entirely "possible" that if you are both using the same genetics that your 10 calves are superior to the best 10 out of the 550 on the bigger ranch....while possible, it is just highly improbable. There are certainly people with 10 cows who manage their herd better than some people with 550 cows.

SC
If I had all the money in the world wouldn't buy a ranch. To much work with this little spread. I'd buy a house on Lake of the Ozarks and spend my winters in Hawaii 8)

kaneranch":gsqr72g1 said:

I disagree. The chances of someone buying 100,000 acres at once are slim to none (unless, of course, you're Ted Turner, Bill Gates, or one of the Rockefellers), it was acquired over a period of years. To stay in business, they had to have had quite a few smarts and probably have a danged good herd - probably not registered (but possible) as registered tends to be a little constraining simply due to the record-keeping involved. It's about management, where one is going, what one wants to achieve and having the smarts to get there.

PS I should have included vision and ability to plan long-term, as well.

brandon
notice i SAID
the big boys are BUYING the semen from me!!!!
are not the ones buying for 550 head promoting me and my lousy 2 head

What breed do you run? and Who are your Bulls?

I don't disbelieve you but, you are at a statistical disadvantage far from impossible though.

Latest posts