Big cats

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":160lewwj said:
Bigfoot":160lewwj said:
I just have flathead/mud cats in my ponds. There free of course, and feed themselves. Not as good to eat BTW. Does the expense of pursueing nice hybred fish add up in years time? I'd like to have some, but I'm bout tapped out.

The. Biggest fish we moved were in the 20 pound class. I know for a fact they are 4 year olds. They have been fed. But a channel cat will not reach that in a lifetime in a pond. The hybrids are ultra aggressive and will hit a lure like a bass. Compares to channels in flavor and don't become muddy. Anyone's that raised fish knows fed catfish can become quite difficult to catch on hook and line. Especially after they have been caught and released. Not a problem with the hybrids.
Fish also convert feed to pounds more efficient than any other livestock. Fwiw

Livestock not pets

I saw a chart once for the feed conversion for livestock. If I remember correctly calves were 7-5 to 1, hogs 4 to 1, chicken were 2 to 1. But what really surprised me was fish was 1 to 1. Amazing.

hillbilly beef man":2wvq9qe4 said:
I saw a chart once for the feed conversion for livestock. If I remember correctly calves were 7-5 to 1, hogs 4 to 1, chicken were 2 to 1. But what really surprised me was fish was 1 to 1. Amazing.
2:1 much more normal for both fish and pigs and type and size of each will determine much of that.

TexasBred":3sgfqr9a said:
hillbilly beef man":3sgfqr9a said:
2:1 much more normal for both fish and pigs and type and size of each will determine much of that.

My understanding and unfortunately it makes tb kinda right. Is that when the quality of feed required is figured in . Fish go from 1:1 to 2:1_3:1.
Fish require a very high protein feed to gain well. Fish will gain 1:1 but the feed is more expensive.

Yeah, when I first started feeding fish, I was kinda shocked at the prices. I've never seen bass come to feed, but I have seen crappie feed after the bigger catfish have left.
A few years ago, I had turtle problem too. As soon as the catfish started swarming the feed, a couple dozen turtles made their way over every time and got a big share of the feed. Next calm evening, I took the little remington out with me, and a massacre ensued. Hit one and I don't know what it did, but he just swam round and round in little tight circles, flippers on one side just gettin after it. ''fipp fipp fipp fipp fipp fipp' noises in the water. Them nasty stinkin things was floating all over a couple days later and I had to get 'em all out with a dip net from my little boat. Had another time when a 5' gator would ease up there and grab him a cat to snack on. "Sumphtin' untimely musta happened to him--he too became a floater. TP&W guys had come out the year before and removed a bigger one for me. Not sure how they did it--they just left me a note and their card on the door. Mr. .... We took care of your gator problem today".
Something I didn't know I had, I put a fish trap in one day to catch some trotline bait for Lake Livingston, baited with a little mesh bag of dog food, and when I pulled it up, had plenty of little perch but 5-6 slimy old eels in it too.

I really need to fish some of the bass out of there.

GB brother in law keeps a couple of trot lines out all the times and keeps cheap dry dog food wet down to use for bait. Swears he always catches blue cats on the dog food and channel cat on "Gummie Worms". Yessir...gummie worms.

JMJ Farms":1t5nfcsi said:
ez14":1t5nfcsi said:
Trot lines are illegal im my state it seems like something id like to do though

Surely they're not illegal in a private pond are they?
Id have to check on that to say for sure but i THINK it illegal in any body of water here

Latest posts