Big cats

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
I enjoy these things immensely. I like catching them, I like watching them grow. I love to watch kids catch em. I like going out to the tank and feeding them in the morning. It's definitely become a obsession. Things are going well after lot's of hard work. These are some special ones. F1 hybrids. I don't claim to have raised these. Had some help from a friend. They got put in the tank by the house yesterday.

I just have flathead/mud cats in my ponds. There free of course, and feed themselves. Not as good to eat BTW. Does the expense of pursueing nice hybred fish add up in years time? I'd like to have some, but I'm bout tapped out.

Bigfoot":2fon0qda said:
I just have flathead/mud cats in my ponds. There free of course, and feed themselves. Not as good to eat BTW. Does the expense of pursueing nice hybred fish add up in years time? I'd like to have some, but I'm bout tapped out.

The. Biggest fish we moved were in the 20 pound class. I know for a fact they are 4 year olds. They have been fed. But a channel cat will not reach that in a lifetime in a pond. The hybrids are ultra aggressive and will hit a lure like a bass. Compares to channels in flavor and don't become muddy. Anyone's that raised fish knows fed catfish can become quite difficult to catch on hook and line. Especially after they have been caught and released. Not a problem with the hybrids.
Fish also convert feed to pounds more efficient than any other livestock. Fwiw

Livestock not pets

Bigfoot":1d7b0k3o said:

Sorry Bigfoot missed your question. I've only been messing with the hybrids for about a year. Channels and blues for several years.

We drive about three hours to buy 6" yearling fish. At .80 . They reach 2_ 3 pounds by winter.
Will make 5 to 10 pounds in second season.
My uncle bought 6000 fry in June. Raised them through the winter in a window screen cage sunk in his pond. He paid .20 sold em all for 1.20. ...Had a couple hundred dollars in feed.

callmefence":28vkbytq said:
Bigfoot":28vkbytq said:

The. Biggest fish we moved were in the 20 pound class. I know for a fact they are 4 year olds. They have been fed. But a channel cat will not reach that in a lifetime in a pond. The hybrids are ultra aggressive and will hit a lure like a bass. Compares to channels in flavor and don't become muddy. Anyone's that raised fish knows fed catfish can become quite difficult to catch on hook and line. Especially after they have been caught and released. Not a problem with the hybrids.

Livestock not pets
Pigs. Just as efficient as converting feed. Both depend on quality of feed, level of activity, etc.

TexasBred":3ipm88m6 said:
callmefence":3ipm88m6 said:
Bigfoot":3ipm88m6 said:

Livestock not pets
Pigs. Just as efficient as converting feed. Both depend on quality of feed, level of activity, etc.

Idk. Maybe so. I'll also admit pigs pull real hard when hooked, and the squeal adds to the fun.
They can't tread water to long though before they sink and drown

callmefence":3ju4dxxv said:
Idk. Maybe so. I'll also admit pigs pull real hard when hooked, and the squeal adds to the fun.
They can't tread water to long though before they sink and drown

True dat....but they won't fin you either. Those are some awesome looking fish. Future looks good for "fish frys". :nod:

Those are some hawgs fence! We have few channel cats here in ponds here. The "real" channel cats in the river have those two streaks of yellow fat down their back.(taste better too) The channel cats in the pond or at fish farms don't have the yellow fat. Anybody know why? Are they technically hybrids of some sort?

I've about decided I may as well start over--been throwing out fish feed for 2 weeks and just a couple of little ones come up. Pretty sure all my big channel cats are now enjoying Lake Houston since our flood water receded..

Funny how different folks call them different names depending on where you live in the country. Here we have channel cats, blue cats, Appaloosa cats (aka flatheads), yellow cats (aka creek cats/butter cats) (small fish around a couple pounds max), and speckled cats (aka mud cats)

greybeard":275ktmuf said:
I've about decided I may as well start over--been throwing out fish feed for 2 weeks and just a couple of little ones come up. Pretty sure all my big channel cats are now enjoying Lake Houston since our flood water receded..

We lost a pond full of 10 to 16 ".hybrids this year. We actually found em about a mile away on my uncle's place. Buzzards lead us to em.
Don't give up though my mature channels ain't coming to feed regular yet. They have come up, just not coming regular.

SJB":275ktmuf said:
It may not matter, but a 20lb channel cat is a voracious predator. They will consume massive amounts of anything that swims in that pond less than 12".

Even more so with the hybrids. That's why we only stock the small fish in a pond with no big
Ones. After they have grown to a pound or so we start moving them to restock the main pond. Lot's of goggle eyes in there for bigger fish to eat.

Been a very mild winter down here, and they never really stopped feeding. In the 2-3 weeks before the flood, mine were coming up like gangbusters every evening. Now, just a few little ones, and I'm not sure they aren't mud cats that came IN with the flood water.
My bass seem to still be in good quantity and size tho. Caught 5-6 nice ones last weekend in about 30 minutes of mid morning fishin. My pond is odd shaped, with 3 long forks off the main body of the pond--max depth is probably 8' anywhere, with average depth 5'. Lots of cover and a pretty good crop of lily pads and a grassy bottom. LOTS of sunfish and shiners. Will hybrid cats or regular blues make it in that shallow water environment even tho it has a lot of shade and cover?

greybeard":1kmq245p said:
Been a very mild winter down here, and they never really stopped feeding. In the 2-3 weeks before the flood, mine were coming up like gangbusters every evening. Now, just a few little ones, and I'm not sure they aren't mud cats that came IN with the flood water.
My bass seem to still be in good quantity and size tho. Caught 5-6 nice ones last weekend in about 30 minutes of mid morning fishin. My pond is odd shaped, with 3 long forks off the main body of the pond--max depth is probably 8' anywhere, with average depth 5'. Lots of cover and a pretty good crop of lily pads and a grassy bottom. LOTS of sunfish and shiners. Will hybrid cats or regular blues make it in that shallow water environment even tho it has a lot of shade and cover?

Need any otters?
They have wiped out three ponds here, I have given up on restocking they win.
Two creeks on this place is like having a Jack in the Box drive through, they do leave you the head and tail.

O heck no!! Had enough dang trouble with the benice beaver. I just burned their lodge down to the waterline last week after not seeing any sign of 'em for 2 months now.

greybeard":ywi6w3wj said:

the hybrids will thrive in it. I highly recommend them. They will compete with the bass unless you feed. If you feed I think they would live in harmony. As the catfish become quite complacent if feed enough, and bass won't hardly feed. Of course you need to size your new fish to be big enough the bass won't eat them

Latest posts