Big buck contest

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Do any of you ever get in a big buck contest pool with friends or a hunt club? Maybe since many of us are hunters we could have a Biggest Buck Contest among the C.T. Members and see who wins for bragging rights.

While I've killed some good bucks in my life. but I have never entered a contest. The vast difference in regions does not lend it to being a true contest. Whats a trophy here is not a trophy elsewhere.

finding anything more than 5 points here is super rare... I have a nice looking 4 point in the field now.. season opens in a week..yeehaw.. hunt from the front porch!

M-5":20utqu41 said:
While I've killed some good bucks in my life. but I have never entered a contest. The vast difference in regions does not lend it to being a true contest. Whats a trophy here is not a trophy elsewhere.

Other factors are season length and bag limit. M season only last 9 day and I am limited to one deer. How long does yours go and how many can you shoot? Then there are different species of deer. Mule deer are a bunch bigger than whitetails. Not to mention the fact that you people back east count every darn point. Your 10 point is a four point with eye guards here (we don't count eye guards). So how would you propose determining the winner?

Dave":33ohisys said:
Not to mention the fact that you people back east count every darn point. Your 10 point is a four point with eye guards here (we don't count eye guards). So how would you propose determining the winner?
You would score them just like B&C does .They don't take into account what part of the country they come from or length of season its just how much they score. Species against the same species. A lot of these states that have them short seasons is where you kill them big bucks.

M-5":wgyrkjig said:

Amen to that our big deer look like midgets to deer out of the north.
A 130 is a monster here.

Sky I killed this boy this year biggest in my life and he looks small compared to some of the racks I seen
yall post.

This is a normal big buck here lot of body not much in the horn category.

fenceman":cvcu6v52 said:
Everybody's backing out. I'm game, me and you sky..

Ok FM lets see what happens I guess I need to break the bow out more this year. :lol2: Season here is basically OCT -JAN

CB I agree some regions have bigger deer than others and the north does have the big monsters. I would be proud to have your deer anyday :tiphat: It be something fun to do just to see what each other kills though.

skyhightree1":jpyz3oeh said:
fenceman":jpyz3oeh said:
Everybody's backing out. I'm game, me and you sky..

Ok FM lets see what happens I guess I need to break the bow out more this year. :lol2: Season here is basically OCT -JAN

CB I agree some regions have bigger deer than others and the north does have the big monsters. I would be proud to have your deer anyday :tiphat: It be something fun to do just to see what each other kills though.

Sky it only took over 60 years to get him.
I agree I like to see deer from different regions a 16 to 17 inch inside spread is a monster here.
Killed an 11 pt 10 years or so ago heavy rack 14 inch spread.
That bunch of guys you listed is in a class that doesn't take long to call the roll.

CB You may think im BSING you but theres guys I have hunted with for 20 years or so and have only killed one or two deer.. They hunt same county I hunt but just don't seal the deal. 60 years is a while but some go lifetimes and never kill anything " nice " . I like killing nice bucks but you can't eat the horns.

skyhightree1":1j7g78ow said:
CB You may think im BSING you but theres guys I have hunted with for 20 years or so and have only killed one or two deer.. They hunt same county I hunt but just don't seal the deal. 60 years is a while but some go lifetimes and never kill anything " nice " . I like killing nice bucks but you can't eat the horns.

Same here I have an old Model 97 that I have taken over a 100 with and I know it killed that many or
more before dad gave it to me. Finally retired it and my Model 12's for sentimental reasons for a BPS or five of them.
Venison is serious business here as that is our main protein source in the diet.
My wife would tell me to shoot one with the GW straddling it.

Definitely a main source here too but last year we had so many that we killed that were sick I didn't eat them they said they were ok but I only kept a couple that were healthy. My kids run through deer jerky like nobodys business.

FM nice deer you should put them in the mounts thread we have going

M-5":2s1i2qo8 said:
You got that right. Between the rain, the management and the money they will bag some incredible deer in S Texas this winter! Look at any of the big south Texas contests and you'll see these fellows play for keeps!

I'm not familiar at all with how they're scored, the trophy thing has never appealed to me, but I'll take a pic of what I get

Nice mulies!

Lots of nice bucks killed here in the Ozarks but I seldom wait them out. Like to eat them to much so the first respectable buck normally gets shot at. Now with kids hunting they've cut back what I need to harvest so it's normally a one and done for me.