Big Boy Jr.

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
cowgirl8":285zzhd8 said:
M5farm":285zzhd8 said:
Calf 1 will not turn black and 2 will never be "black" unless you color the white with Clairol, calf 3 in the front will most likely be black as it matures.
Calf one will be black, was black when born. 2 is a sim/angus 'black' and white'....Not 'red' and white, not 'brown' and white....she's b/w.. There are a lot of people looking at these post who never bother to say anything that are shaking their heads and laughing. I was warned by you guys, yall told me not to bother posting anything because these few will try to rip me apart. You know, if i came here asking for help maybe thats what they wanted. They love talking about themselves, they just dont want anyone else to do it. Whats funny is they've been doing it so long they dont know how ridiculous they end up looking. :lol2:

Do you have any idea of the definition of Homozygous black or Heterozygous black?
As 3way said the only way your Red bull will throw consistently black calves is if he is bred to Homozygous black cows and then they will all be black unless he carries the diluter gene, Which is a possibility with the Fleckvieh influence.
When you show your ignorance in matters like this it makes it hard to take anything you say serious. I am starting to think that the reason you haven't learned much here is you are so busy trying to teach us all how to run a second rate cow calf operation. As you should have figured out by now it is hard to listen and talk at the same time.
And please post some really professional pictures of your bulls so that they can be dissected one piece at a time.

Taurus":152s3m2k said:
fitz":152s3m2k said:
Taurus":152s3m2k said:
Well...I wouldn't using crossbred bulls on crossbred cows but that is my opinion. You got some funky colored calves out of them due to using crossbred bulls on cows and that's where it will bites your a$$ one day when you had to take them to the sale barn.

I won't comment on the Bulls pictured as the owner seems more than pleased with them.
In time, I will let you know on the crossbreeding results. I'm running a cross breed SimAngus Bull on cross bred SimAngus cows now.

fitz
Knowing Fitz, your calf crop will be most likely all black calves and not a single spotted calf. Bet your SimAngus cattle doesn't have any spotted gene.

It happens ever so often. The initial F1 cross may show some white. Depends on the Dam's markings. After that not so much. Example being this SimAngus heifer.

fitz

DSC00619.JPG

fitz":3022tg0s said:
Taurus":3022tg0s said:
fitz":3022tg0s said:
I won't comment on the Bulls pictured as the owner seems more than pleased with them.
In time, I will let you know on the crossbreeding results. I'm running a cross breed SimAngus Bull on cross bred SimAngus cows now.

fitz
Knowing Fitz, your calf crop will be most likely all black calves and not a single spotted calf. Bet your SimAngus cattle doesn't have any spotted gene.

It happens ever so often. The initial F1 cross may show some white. Depends on the Dam's markings. After that not so much. Example being this SimAngus heifer.

fitz

DSC00619.JPG
She doesn't looks like a spotted one to me, just a typical blaze-faced SimAngus to me.

I agree Ali. Guess I'll just go out and look at my recently purchased culls.

cowgirl8,
I'll show you one of ours. This calf was born on May 30, 2013. The sire was a purebred Charolais and the dam is a registered Beefmaster.
IMO this calf has a good long hip. Photo as a newborn, not yet filled out (note wet umbilical cord).

2h834t0.jpg

He was sold when he was 9 1/2 months old and weighed 800 lbs -- on grass
I had a big smile on my face when I received the check.

fitz":1f2wkrb1 said:

fitz

DSC00619.JPG

She is an attractive heifer fitz. Love her topline and capacity. She has the muscle, yet is feminine. Thanks for sharing her pic.

Bought a nice white heifer at the sale today. I thought she was prolly a Charolais but then the previous owner informed that she was actually angus and would n fact turn black once she shed her winter hair.

Gelbvieh 5":1h7077ms said:
cowgirl8":1h7077ms said:
M5farm":1h7077ms said:
Calf 1 will not turn black and 2 will never be "black" unless you color the white with Clairol, calf 3 in the front will most likely be black as it matures.
Calf one will be black, was black when born. 2 is a sim/angus 'black' and white'....Not 'red' and white, not 'brown' and white....she's b/w.. There are a lot of people looking at these post who never bother to say anything that are shaking their heads and laughing. I was warned by you guys, yall told me not to bother posting anything because these few will try to rip me apart. You know, if i came here asking for help maybe thats what they wanted. They love talking about themselves, they just dont want anyone else to do it. Whats funny is they've been doing it so long they dont know how ridiculous they end up looking. :lol2:

Do you have any idea of the definition of Homozygous black or Heterozygous black?
As 3way said the only way your Red bull will throw consistently black calves is if he is bred to Homozygous black cows and then they will all be black unless he carries the diluter gene, Which is a possibility with the Fleckvieh influence.
When you show your ignorance in matters like this it makes it hard to take anything you say serious. I am starting to think that the reason you haven't learned much here is you are so busy trying to teach us all how to run a second rate cow calf operation. As you should have figured out by now it is hard to listen and talk at the same time.
And please post some really professional pictures of your bulls so that they can be dissected one piece at a time.
Since my cows are not registered or tested i have no idea whether they are homozygous or heterozygous. So i dont know which calves will be what color. I just know that my red w/f bull throws mainly black calves out of the younger angusX. His mother was yellow and i dont recall who his sire was. He's an old bull, so who knows. I do know that sometimes i get red calves out of black cows, and sometimes i get black calves out of red cows but the majority of his calves are black and black w/f. Really doesnt matter, i havent been able to tell much at the sale barn which brings the most. I know i want black w/f. But if i get a few reds, thats fine. The big red sim we lost a few months ago threw mostly red calves, he was out of our earlier sims which were red and we bred him mainly to sim cows since his calves were big. SO, i do know that when i have a mostly full sim bull, i'm going to get calves of all colors. So effin what. The young bull who is red, is out of a black brangus cow and the red w/f bull. I'm going to guess that if he is bred to these older sim cows, i'll get whatever the wheel stops on. But, if i take him over to the other cows who are mainly angus, i'm going to guess i'll get mainly black. Simple enough for you?

Can't say. I have been advised to stop arguing with you as you are killing me on experience ;-) :cowboy:

M5farm":gj510mta said:
but, but, but......................

I think you would be really surprised at how much better your calves would be if you went out and bought a few quality Char, Sim, or Beefmaster bulls instead of keeping bulls. You don't have to pay an arm and leg for registered bulls since you are not breeding registered cattle you can find a bunch of quality purebred bulls. Not all breeders feed their bulls like show calves, a lot of them are raising their bull more natural so they don't fall apart because that looks bad on the breeder. At the end of the day its your cows your money and whatever makes you happy.

wacocowboy":38v0dr94 said:
I think you would be really surprised at how much better your calves would be if you went out and bought a few quality Char, Sim, or Beefmaster bulls instead of keeping bulls. You don't have to pay an arm and leg for registered bulls since you are not breeding registered cattle you can find a bunch of quality purebred bulls. Not all breeders feed their bulls like show calves, a lot of them are raising their bull more natural so they don't fall apart because that looks bad on the breeder. At the end of the day its your cows your money and whatever makes you happy.
We bought the kitty hammed bull. I'll be sure to mention that to the breeder when we go and look at his bulls. We have registered bulls, these bulls are on our old sim cows. Yall guys cant seem to get past that. I've showed you one herd, except for the kitty ham bull who is on heifers. But please keep critiquing, its hilarious. I'm sure if anyone is reading any of this, they see just what kind of guys yall are. I'm sure something you've never thought about, you just like to think it makes you seem smart. Have you guys ever wonder why your little groups of posters are the only ones here. People come and ask questions, but after a while you run them off. Kind of sad sack of turds you are.

cowgirl8":1rm25oas said:
Gelbvieh 5":1rm25oas said:
cowgirl8":1rm25oas said:

Since my cows are not registered or tested i have no idea whether they are homozygous or heterozygous. So i dont know which calves will be what color. I just know that my red w/f bull throws mainly black calves out of the younger angusX. His mother was yellow and i dont recall who his sire was. He's an old bull, so who knows. I do know that sometimes i get red calves out of black cows, and sometimes i get black calves out of red cows but the majority of his calves are black and black w/f. Really doesnt matter, i havent been able to tell much at the sale barn which brings the most. I know i want black w/f. But if i get a few reds, thats fine. The big red sim we lost a few months ago threw mostly red calves, he was out of our earlier sims which were red and we bred him mainly to sim cows since his calves were big. SO, i do know that when i have a mostly full sim bull, i'm going to get calves of all colors. So effin what. The young bull who is red, is out of a black brangus cow and the red w/f bull. I'm going to guess that if he is bred to these older sim cows, i'll get whatever the wheel stops on. But, if i take him over to the other cows who are mainly angus, i'm going to guess i'll get mainly black. Simple enough for you?
I think the posters are trying to tell you that your bulls carrying some hidden recessive traits such as spotting and diluting genes. Not just black or red or white face genes. This is breed regression and that's why you got Holstein-looking calves. The buyers won't think that these calves are Simmi x Angus, they will just think they are dairy cross or just mongrel calves with unknown background. This isn't crossbreeding, this is just...mongrelizing.

cowgirl8":3pwmqamy said:
wacocowboy":3pwmqamy said:
We bought the kitty hammed bull. I'll be sure to mention that to the breeder when we go and look at his bulls. We have registered bulls, these bulls are on our old sim cows. Yall guys cant seem to get past that. I've showed you one herd, except for the kitty ham bull who is on heifers. But please keep critiquing, its hilarious. I'm sure if anyone is reading any of this, they see just what kind of guys yall are. I'm sure something you've never thought about, you just like to think it makes you seem smart. Have you guys ever wonder why your little groups of posters are the only ones here. People come and ask questions, but after a while you run them off. Kind of sad sack of turds you are.
Well you're the one who asking for opinions on your home raised bulls, posted the pictures of the bulls and the calves and this is what you get from the crowd.

Taurus":1c9su03p said:
cowgirl8":1c9su03p said:
wacocowboy":1c9su03p said:
Well you're the one who asking for opinions on your home raised bulls, posted the pictures of the bulls and the calves and this is what you get from the crowd.
I didnt deserve this. We get above average for our calves. How much are we suppose to get? Again, we dont raise registered animals, we raise meat animals.. I'll have to say this, if i ever opened up the computer and saw that this is what my husband spent his day doing i'd be very disappointed. Well, except for 3way who has a partner, but i dont judge who a person pairs with, but i bet his partner would be disappointed too..

How much do u get per lb for your "Holsteiny" looking weaned calves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts