I Like Big Butts!

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
And I cannot lie (from the song Baby Got Back;)). My retained heifers were pelvic measured, BANGS, Vista 5 VL5 and magnets yesterday. My goal is a minimum pelvic measurement of 150 at 11 months (instead of the "standard" 12), so they should theoretically be able to have at least a 75 lb. calf unassisted at 24 months. Plus, a month earlier gives them a little "wiggle room".

That said, big heifers with big butts don't always mean big pelvic measurements and looks can be deceiving.

Measurements were: 166.75, 174, 156, 154 and 168. From left to right, want to guess which is which?
1645050782752.jpeg
1645050856902.jpeg

But i thought someone said the butt is of lesser quality and you don't have to worry about it... They must be blessed on the thinner side🤪🤣🤣🤣
Now, who can avoid looking at a nice butt?😎
My gues on the butt pic, left to right is:
166.75, 154, 156, 168, 174

From left to right on the butt pic (but I'll include the tag info on the front pic for reference):
Jolly #4533 pink tag - 154
Trixie #628E purple tag - 156
Spunky #2328E yellow tag - 168
Bart #1033 yellow tag - 166.75
Phoebe #921B blue tag - 174

Super excited about Spunky. She's the 2nd calf from her dam, who was also the first to calve as a heifer and raised a whopper bull/steer. Her grandma is the tiny preemie in my lap in my avatar pic and Trixie is her aunt. The lineage continues!

Poor Bart. She was born during the epic storm last year and I thought it was a huge bull calf and named it after the mascot of a local radio station (Bart the Radio Bovine). Didn't notice until much later . . . ummm, where's his junk? Clearly, I just glanced at his/her big 'ol furry navel and I'll be damned if I was taking my gloves off in sub-zero temps to cop a feel. But she's butt ugly and a big, strappin' farm girl so she gets to keep the name Bart. Her dam is my oldest cow and still one of the first to calve. Jolly is her niece - another long, prolific lineage.

Phoebe is only the 2nd heifer I've retained from her dam, one of the few Simm/Angus I still have. I retained her sister last year and she's currently at the barn (prison) as a heavy bred heifer.

Are you getting away from Simm influenced cattle?

I hope that pump jack in the background is yours.
When we bought our original bred cows, there were only a few Simm/Angus, most of them were purebred Angus and some Angus/Hereford. Haven't purchased a cow since; built my herd strictly from replacements and the Simm influence has been filtered out primarily because of udder issues.

Yup, that pump jack is in the central pasture and currently have 5 scattered around the ranch.

Latest posts