Big Boy Jr.

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
FlyingLSimmentals":2c9bouy5 said:
True they have chrome, true order buyers will sometimes run from it or dock for it compared to a solid black uniform calf here. I've had a few in the past come out with those markings (Foundation Simmental Marks). One looked a lot like one of these calves and I really liked them and ours went with the black calves at the auction and did well. I wouldn't call them mongrels, just chrome calves. Indeed the original poster could get better bulls and get more uniformed calves but he would pay dearly for them most likely. His isn't that bad to go that route from what I have seen. I would buy some bulls from pedigree's outside of the herd though. Okay there is my opinion.
In my opinion, these calves are mongrels not chrome calves. But I agree with you, she could do better than using a mongrel bull on their cows. Maybe one day, the karma can be a bytch when she get a field of spotted calves instead of black calves or when the market changes.

I want to apologize for letting myself fall to the lowness of name calling. I am embarrassed that i did, and i want to apologize.
In conclusion, show me your bull and i'll ask to see his calves.

cowgirl8":121faccf said:
I want to apologize for letting myself fall to the lowness of name calling. I am embarrassed that i did, and i want to apologize.
My bulls are in a semen tank, and yes we AI commercial cattle. Nothing wrong with improving even terminal calves.

TexasBred":lwzqglcy said:
cowgirl8":lwzqglcy said:
My bulls are in a semen tank, and yes we AI commercial cattle. Nothing wrong with improving even terminal calves.
Its tempting, i hate dealing with bulls. We've been losing one a year to fighting. I hate getting them up to divide up to the herds they go to. We lucked out this year and half came to the corral area to check out the cows we had in the corral. All we had to do was open the gate and let them walk across the road. Still had trouble with the rest, but no one was hurt. Still bummed we lost our big red sim a few months ago.

Progress on Big Boy Jr's calves, proofs in the pudding.
Took about 30 minutes ago..About a month since the last ones.

This gal has more angus in her, not out of an older cow but one we put in there with the sim bull we though could handle a big calf. Fro sho a keeper

When i'm not taking pictures of the colorful calves, this is what the rest look like.

Newest addition just hours ago. Last calf of the season and he didnt disappoint. Biggest and most colorful..For any young ranchers out there, way back in the day this is what a sim looked like. My Girl, retired commercial show heifer shown around the turn of the century is going to be all sim. She's probably out of a cow who was out of an original sim bull we bought back in the 1980s. We dont get many colored like this, but when we do its like finding that prize easter egg...I'm so interested in seeing what this guy weans out at.

Thanks, you know, its hard not to get defensive when i'm told i have mongrels. I'm suppose to be in group of people who are in the business and when it comes right down to it, isnt it the calf you sell that matters. Again, at the tender age of 24 months, i know this bull isnt the most beautiful but no one can argue what he produces isnt good. His calves didnt disappoint last year either, the reason he's back at work. His calves were massive and impressive. They outdid all of our registered bulls weaning weight wise and price per pound at the sale barn. So, its what they buyers want and its what i'll try to give them.

Remember this: The genotype trumps the phenotype. There are numerous exercises used to demonstrate that concept in a sophomore level genetics class. Don't take that to mean a geneticist or breeder does not owe giving their proper respect to the phenotype. Odds are the phenotype is a good suggestion of what the genotype is like. This bull's phenotype is "ugly" but apparently his genotype is trumping that and he is producing desirable offspring. The other possibility is that the maternal side is dominating and masking his deficiencies. Nevertheless, what do you care what he looks like if your product is good?

I like the calves too! Sure several have a lot of chrome in many places, but they're good growing calves with style. The only problem with those calves are todays market where uniformity is desired, mainly solid black. I sure wouldn't call them mongrel calves. They would bring more money here than Shorthorn, Herefords and even some Char's. They look like Foundation Simmental Crossed with Angus and a breed with a little ear for the most part. I'll bet the heifers would make some really good milking dams. I would work on trying to uniform future crops. The next bulls I would buy I would be sure to not get a spotter or a diluter. Just to try and help limit extreme chrome. Like somebody else said you could make even more $$. Remember don't settle always try to improve, that doesn't mean sell the bulls or herd and go buy new good ones. It cost to dang much, again yours isn't that bad.

FlyingLSimmentals":irb2bedp said:
I like the calves too! Sure several have a lot of chrome in many places, but they're good growing calves with style. The only problem with those calves are todays market where uniformity is desired, mainly solid black. I sure would call them mongrel calves. I would work on trying to uniform future crops. The next bulls I would buy I would be sure to not get a spotter or a diluter. Just to try and help limit extreme chrome. Like somebody else said you could make even more $$. Remember don't settle always try to improve
Yup these mongrel calves looks good to the owner ;-) Keeps improving your herd and don't mongrelizing or inbreeding your cattle too much or one day it will bites into your a$$.

cowgirl8":2l29o25q said:
Thanks, you know, its hard not to get defensive when i'm told i have mongrels. I'm suppose to be in group of people who are in the business and when it comes right down to it, isnt it the calf you sell that matters. Again, at the tender age of 24 months, i know this bull isnt the most beautiful but no one can argue what he produces isnt good. His calves didnt disappoint last year either, the reason he's back at work. His calves were massive and impressive. They outdid all of our registered bulls weaning weight wise and price per pound at the sale barn. So, its what they buyers want and its what i'll try to give them.

For the record. No one including me ever said you don't have some nice calves. It's all the other stuff that gets in the way. I love the length of hip and depth on the calves you pictured.

How about we let it go at that.................( a vote from the gay community) ;-)

FlyingLSimmentals":29ojyd9f said:
I like the calves too! Sure several have a lot of chrome in many places, but they're good growing calves with style. The only problem with those calves are todays market where uniformity is desired, mainly solid black. I sure wouldn't call them mongrel calves. They would bring more money here than Shorthorn, Herefords and even some Char's. They look like Foundation Simmental Crossed with Angus and a breed with a little ear for the most part. I'll bet the heifers would make some really good milking dams. I would work on trying to uniform future crops. The next bulls I would buy I would be sure to not get a spotter or a diluter. Just to try and help limit extreme chrome. Like somebody else said you could make even more $$. Remember don't settle always try to improve, that doesn't mean sell the bulls or herd and go buy new good ones. It cost to dang much, again yours isn't that bad.
inyati13 and FlyingLSimmentals totally make sense. If i may add, this is a small 32 cow herd of our old cows in the last stage of their time on our ranch. These cows get the best of the hay since they are seniors and are on a smaller pasture close to the house just in case someone needs attending to. We keep heifers out of this herd and breed them to our angus, sim/angus bulls. I dont take many pictures of our other herds because i love all the markings of these calves. But, in our big herds, there are mainly black calves, some do have some white on their faces. But no retro sims. There may be retro sim cows from this herd in there, but they usually have solid black or black w/f when bred to our other solid black bulls...And, they do milk. We do have another home grown bull i like keeping heifers from, he produces some awesome heifers and his bull calves arent that bad either. Some of his come out with a touch of brindle, those are the heifers i love. But bred to the black bulls, we'll get black calves. Eventually, everything will be solid black. But the buyers here like the white faces, so i try to keep some of that in here.

3waycross":1ltomax5 said:
cowgirl8":1ltomax5 said:

For the record. No one including me ever said you don't have some nice calves. It's all the other stuff that gets in the way. I love the length of hip and depth on the calves you pictured.

How about we let it go at that.................( a vote from the gay community) ;-)
We all get carried away, i'm game.......and i'll take the gay vote," not that there's anything wrong with that"........(quote from Seinfeld)

Relieved y'all have kissed and made up. This has been an uncomfortable post for us newbies.

kucala5":b5fhdqis said:
Relieved y'all have kissed and made up. This has been an uncomfortable post for us newbies.
You and me both.....i dont like spending my day agitated and confused...

I like the what is now considered to be the old fashioned Simmentals too. It's a shame how so many breeds have been made "black" and have lost the original breed standard.

chippie":2pyvwlrv said:
I like the what is now considered to be the old fashioned Simmentals too. It's a shame how so many breeds have been made "black" and have lost the original breed standard.

totally agree!!!!!! I still laugh when I see black Herefords. Not crazy about most Black Beefmaster or black Sims.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts