BETTER Non Nursing Baby Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

katiebug_2011

Reaction score
First of all, Thank you for all of your help and advice. Something must have worked, cuz she is eating sweet feed and drinin' water outta bucket all on her own. :D She is alot more energetic, and looking alot better!

again, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH !

-I'm going to continue helping her along the way, with alot of TLC :)

YEAH!! Congraduations. So, what was the problem and the solution? Speaking from experience keep a close watch on the calf. They can perk up for a few days then crash hard.

Hey! Good for you! Honestly when I read it for the first time I thought "This calf is as good as dead." Of course I didn't say that. Is a feather in your cap ~ yes?
Keep an eye on her ~ and pat your back.

PS ~ Mom still needs to go and soon. So does this one.

I was curious if you gave the calf a BoSe shot for Selenium?
Se deficiency causes White Muscle Disease which affects all the large muscles - tongue, lung, heart, leg muscles. So, they can seem fine, but when they run or over-exert themselves, they may fall down because of the over-load on the muscles.
There is no residual affect after you get the Se level up where it needs to be.
IF this is the case, be sure to give all newborns a shot right after birth - and all cattle should have a mineral with SE in it.

TNfamilyfarm":3phgb0an said:
YEAH!! Congraduations. So, what was the problem and the solution? Speaking from experience keep a close watch on the calf. They can perk up for a few days then crash hard.

Problem was that she wouldn't nurse or drink outta bucket or anything. So we had to tube feed her. I've been giving her extra doses of Electrolytes and watching her real close, and she's started drinkin' outta bucket, and showing interest in sweet feed now.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1saq3pwu said:
I was curious if you gave the calf a BoSe shot for Selenium?
Se deficiency causes White Muscle Disease which affects all the large muscles - tongue, lung, heart, leg muscles. So, they can seem fine, but when they run or over-exert themselves, they may fall down because of the over-load on the muscles.
There is no residual affect after you get the Se level up where it needs to be.
IF this is the case, be sure to give all newborns a shot right after birth - and all cattle should have a mineral with SE in it.

no, no shot of BoSe.

Latest posts