Better bull photo

Help Support CattleToday:

I still think some judge a bull based on body condition
If he's thin he's junk
If he's a big fat ass bull then he's great
But what do I know, I just come hear to talk politics

Well, here we go again with the same old bit of rhetoric regarding analysis, judging, assessment, ( meaning determining the value, significance, or importance of a person, place or thing) for the purpose of LEARNING some very critical details of the Beef BU$INE$$. In this particular instance, it is pertaining to and is in connection with determining, discovering and acquiring knowledge and skills for the successful breeding of beef cattle. Any breeder who has been in the business of producing PROFITABLE beef cattle for even a few years knows how complex and intricate the management of Genetics, Phenotype, and the balancing of traits and characteristics is in arriving at a satisfactory conclusion in selecting a bull (or cow) to maintain or, hopefully, enhance the ultimate quality of one's herd for the purpose of improving the quality of the breeding herd and, therefore, the expected PROFIT at the end of the year!

Those are lots of words to say - KNOWLEDGE is necessary for SUCCESS!

In the tough business of preparing a young person (or an older person for that matter) to be successful in the beef business, sentimental feelings, soft-heartedness and pity must take a back door to reality. In describing the optimal good points and obvious negative factors of an animal should be done in a straight-forward manner - not cruelly done, or with disregard for the feelings of another, but with an honest appraisal of the animal in question. To impart a "mis-interpreted" opinion to one seeking information because you don't wish to "hurt their feelings" is doing them an injustice. Tell them the truth! Just be darn sure that you know what you are talking about!

Learning is ". . the acquiring of knowledge or skills. . ", and the learning curve is the time required to learn certain information and/or skills, That "learning curve" is different for each individual, and some require a longer period of time than others to become comfortable with those skills. To be reluctant to "lay it on the line", so to speak, just extends that Learning Curve longer than should be optimal. Learning this Beef Business is tough enough without having to "dance around" a batch of "feel good" blather to avoid hurt feelings. As President Harry Truman once said, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!".

DOC HARRIS

Kingfisher":mowug7ts said:
What if the person putting up a picture is a 10 year old who is proud of their livestock and someone makes useless statements that hurts them. ". I think now is appropriate to remind you that this is an open family forum and your recent " C stimulation" posts are inappropriate. You also need to buy some more cows or give me some of your grass......;)

ps. Put your shirt on!

Kingfisher,

You are referring to this copied from the coffee shop:

john250 wrote: "She's grateful for your techniques."

I responded:
"You could be right. This is the first heifer I followed the recommendations Alisonb and Fire Sweep gave me on clitoral stimulation. I bred her to Top Hand (SS Bull) and by george she has stuck. I worry about her size. She is not real big. Hope she gets bigger before she is due, which is 3/23/14."

John250 is referring to the recommendations I received from alisonb when I was artificially breeding this heifer about 40 days ago. That is why she is in the pen. I am coming up on her second cycle and I want to be sure she misses it. alisonb provided a suggestion to use CS following AI to stimulate the uterine muscles. I also got PMs from Fire Sweep that provided details including anatomy and research. I did CS following the injection of the semen. If that is inappropriate, I need to know the details.

DOC HARRIS":5afpehzq said:
Well, here we go again with the same old bit of rhetoric regarding analysis, judging, assessment, ( meaning determining the value, significance, or importance of a person, place or thing) for the purpose of LEARNING some very critical details of the Beef BU$INE$$. In this particular instance, it is pertaining to and is in connection with determining, discovering and acquiring knowledge and skills for the successful breeding of beef cattle. Any breeder who has been in the business of producing PROFITABLE beef cattle for even a few years knows how complex and intricate the management of Genetics, Phenotype, and the balancing of traits and characteristics is in arriving at a satisfactory conclusion in selecting a bull (or cow) to maintain or, hopefully, enhance the ultimate quality of one's herd for the purpose of improving the quality of the breeding herd and, therefore, the expected PROFIT at the end of the year!

Those are lots of words to say - KNOWLEDGE is necessary for SUCCESS!

In the tough business of preparing a young person (or an older person for that matter) to be successful in the beef business, sentimental feelings, soft-heartedness and pity must take a back door to reality. In describing the optimal good points and obvious negative factors of an animal should be done in a straight-forward manner - not cruelly done, or with disregard for the feelings of another, but with an honest appraisal of the animal in question. To impart a "mis-interpreted" opinion to one seeking information because you don't wish to "hurt their feelings" is doing them an injustice. Tell them the truth! Just be darn sure that you know what you are talking about!

Learning is ". . the acquiring of knowledge or skills. . ", and the learning curve is the time required to learn certain information and/or skills, That "learning curve" is different for each individual, and some require a longer period of time than others to become comfortable with those skills. To be reluctant to "lay it on the line", so to speak, just extends that Learning Curve longer than should be optimal. Learning this Beef Business is tough enough without having to "dance around" a batch of "feel good" blather to avoid hurt feelings. As President Harry Truman once said, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!".

DOC HARRIS

I'll keep that in mind

inyati13":23uzjxw8 said:
Kingfisher":23uzjxw8 said:
What if the person putting up a picture is a 10 year old who is proud of their livestock and someone makes useless statements that hurts them. ". I think now is appropriate to remind you that this is an open family forum and your recent " C stimulation" posts are inappropriate. You also need to buy some more cows or give me some of your grass......;)

ps. Put your shirt on!

Kingfisher,

You are referring to this copied from the coffee shop:

john250 wrote: "She's grateful for your techniques."

I responded:
"You could be right. This is the first heifer I followed the recommendations Alisonb and Fire Sweep gave me on clitoral stimulation. I bred her to Top Hand (SS Bull) and by george she has stuck. I worry about her size. She is not real big. Hope she gets bigger before she is due, which is 3/23/14."

John250 is referring to the recommendations I received from alisonb when I was artificially breeding this heifer about 40 days ago. That is why she is in the pen. I am coming up on her second cycle and I want to be sure she misses it. alisonb provided a suggestion to use CS following AI to stimulate the uterine muscles. I also got PMs from Fire Sweep that provided details including anatomy and research. I did CS following the injection of the semen. If that is inappropriate, I need to know the details.

It is supposed to increase conception rates 10-30%. I made a point to do it with all of our heifers, and stuck about 75% on 1 try. Everybody I know that's good at AI, vets included, does it. Just my 2 cents.

KNERSIE":2y3fs2g3 said:
The second PHOTO is outstanding, that is about as good a pose as is possible to get.

Thank you!! Sometimes you can spend 30 minutes and they never set up just how you want. I was lucky with him..only took about a minute. Those high headed ones do a great job of picking their head up, too. :)

When judging an animal, look beyond the weight and muscling. Look at the the animal's structure and balance and first. The animal needs to be put together well.
Some people can mistake fat for muscling and for some people fat will hide flaws.

It is also difficult to photograph a black animal. Using a flash even during daylight will help.

yep it takes a good bull to over come all the sorry ones you've used in the past.. i can almost hear it with each new bull i unload ""sht! your giving me this to work with"'....the cows are where you'r at, the bull is where your going...

chippie":2n4mv4hz said:
When judging an animal, look beyond the weight and muscling. Look at the the animal's structure and balance and first. The animal needs to be put together well.
Some people can mistake fat for muscling and for some people fat will hide flaws.

It is also difficult to photograph a black animal. Using a flash even during daylight will help.

Specifically open shoulders and short hips.

chippie":330bw83b said:

Amen!

Latest posts