Best way to feed

Help Support CattleToday:

tlh908

Reaction score
I have 5 black steers on 5 acres and have been wondering - what is the best way to feed them so that mud holes don't appear? Is it best to sacrifice one part of the pasture and let them tear up that area or should I move the feeding area daily so that no one area gets trampled down. I live in northern Indiana and the pastures will be thawing soon, and I know my clay will be easily made into a mud hole....

There are probably as many answers as there are members. We designate the poorest part of a given pasture and use it as a sacrifice area. The next year we use a different area. I prefer the real rocky spots cause they don;t muck up as fast. We start in one spot then move the feeders about 2 cow lwngths when we put out feed the next time.

I wish I had a rocky area, we only have clay the mucks very quickly. The ground isn't even thawed out and it is getting very muddy already....

We have similar type land and we usually ty to pick some gound that has a grade to it, however, this year we lost a cow b/c she laid down and had her legs going uphill. Needless to say, I don't know that that is the best strategy anymore.

I'm in E.C. In. and have lots of clay. I use a sacrifice area and put down lots of wood chips I get from the tree crews that trim the power line right of ways. If it gets too soupy I put down more chips and sometimes add some lime to counter act the effects of all the manure that gets put down in that spot.

tlh908":38hdky4x said:
I have 5 black steers on 5 acres and have been wondering - what is the best way to feed them so that mud holes don't appear? Is it best to sacrifice one part of the pasture and let them tear up that area or should I move the feeding area daily so that no one area gets trampled down. I live in northern Indiana and the pastures will be thawing soon, and I know my clay will be easily made into a mud hole....

I feed two rolls per day to mine. I put them on a little grade and un-roll them down the hill. That way they can all get access to it at the same time. I have a bit more land to work with than you, but every day a different spot if you can.

All the best to you,

Tracy