Best way to buy

Help Support CattleToday:

dbc

Reaction score
What does everyone think is the best way to buy cattle. I'm a college student who only works part time and has a limited amount of income. is it better to buy a cow as i get the money or save up and buy 3 or 4 at a time??

I think I would prefer to buy as many as i could at one time because of fuel cost to transport. Thats assuming I had to transport.

You'd be better off buying cattle a couple at a time. Remember, they are herd animals, that do better if not alone. Plus, take you're time when purchasing, no need to get in a hurry, be picky and get what you want,As you can afford them.And make sure they're good Cattle.Hopefully, you already have a mentor, that can help you along.

Why noy just wait till you are done with school. That way if the only job available in your area of study is across the country, you can easily relocate without having to disperse first.
I could have been a long way from here more than once if I just didn't have so much holding me to this spot.
Hind sight is 20/20. Just don't miss too many opportunities while you are young because there are chores at home. You have your whole life to do chores, live a little while you are in college.
Sorry for rambling, I'm done now.

where they would be is a family farm so there would be someone to look after them, but thanks for the advice

dbc, you are already on the right track. The best way to buy cattle is with cash, especially if you are starting out. Although experts are often wrong, many predict we are at the peak of the current cattle cycle, if so, it wouldn't hurt to continue to save and get more for your money as we come down off the highs.

dbc":2pncczjq said:
where they would be is a family farm so there would be someone to look after them, but thanks for the advice

It is not my intent to be harsh or to come across as being righteous or anything like that, but the day you buy cattle is the day those cattle become your responsibility not your families. Listen to Certherbeef, think about what she has said and consider your options and where you want your life to go very carefully. You are young and have your whole life ahead of you. Please don't make the mistake of thinking you have to have everything figured out and settled now. Just my thoughts.

Have you considered raising Holstein steers from bottle calves, DBC? It takes little time- just feed 'em twice a day. They can be raised in hutches virtually anywhere (built my hutches for under $40 a piece)....and it's a great way to into cattle on the cheap. Of course you won't be building a reproducing herd this way....but with the money you make off of them, you can get you some real cows 8 or 9 months down the road- and if moving is in your plans.....you'll be selling the steers anyway.

I started this way just ten months ago....and i've got 25 steers now.....for less than what a few cows would have cost me. (and quite frankly, this is working out so well, I'm not planning on getting cows, unless the prices drop drastically)

like you i am young a little younger though i am 16 but i bought my first steers in the 9th grade i had some help from family but it was well worth it i am glad i did because the younger you start the sooner you can get bigger if you go home every weekend or close to it then i dont see that big of deal if it wasnt for my family helping me i wouldnt be in the industry now and wouldnt have the opporunitys i have now so if your family is behind you and when you get the money together go for it.
only person stopping you is yourself

DBC is in college. He absolutely does NOT have time to be raising bottle calves at the same time that he is going to college full time and his family does not need him to give them that much extra hassle. IF they have the grass and his family is supportive, I see nothing wrong with him squirreling away extra money in cows. I needed every cent I had when I was in school (making minimum wage..then $3.35) so I can't imagine going to school and making an extra couple of grand to cover purchasing cows. IF he has the money, I don't see anything wrong with investing it in cows since making 3% in a bank is a joke.

Brandonm2":141zczm2 said:
DBC is in college. He absolutely does NOT have time to be raising bottle calves at the same time that he is going to college full time and his family does not need him to give them that much extra hassle. IF they have the grass and his family is supportive, I see nothing wrong with him squirreling away extra money in cows. I needed every cent I had when I was in school (making minimum wage..then $3.35) so I can't imagine going to school and making an extra couple of grand to cover purchasing cows. IF he has the money, I don't see anything wrong with investing it in cows since making 3% in a bank is a joke.

I think that would depend on the person. From the few posts of DBC's that I've read on here, he sounds like a responsible and intelligent young man- and if he wants to get some cows/calves.....I'm sure he realizes what's involved (C'mon, we're talking a few animals- not a huge herd- there's not much to it) and will be able to handle it with ease.

If i were in his shoes, I'd want my money working for me, by growing while he sits in class! It's been my experience, that most people who are so entrepenuerial are usually very successful- and usually end up getting a good business going before they are even done with school.

He sounds like the kind of person who can do it!

Best of luck to you, DBC! I wish I could've started at your age!

thanks everyone for all the response. this really is something i have a passion for, and i know i wont be able to make it a full time thing right now. On the other hand i do think that cattle would be more beneficial than leaving my money in a bank. I will be making more than the interest and i will also be able to save some to put some back in to purchasing additional cattle. Im not talkin bout 30 cows of my own right now, maybe 10 max before i graduate. also our cattle pretty much take care of themselves ( we dont put a lot of money into them) so it really wont be a burden on anyone. thanks again for the response hope everyone keeps comin with the advice.

dbc, I would start out with breed cows, as many as your money could handle, never just one. watch the bw of the bull. do this until you build up your herd, keep the heifers band and sell the steers, and when you have enough cows heifers buy a bull.

and the first time in the middle of the night in the rain pulling a calf out of the cow. welcome to ranching :) . okay best of luck and remember your cattle need you and go into it with both eyes open.

RichieMaGoo":we7dn4gt said:
I think that would depend on the person. From the few posts of DBC's that I've read on here, he sounds like a responsible and intelligent young man- and if he wants to get some cows/calves.....I'm sure he realizes what's involved (C'mon, we're talking a few animals- not a huge herd- there's not much to it) and will be able to handle it with ease.

If i were in his shoes, I'd want my money working for me, by growing while he sits in class! It's been my experience, that most people who are so entrepenuerial are usually very successful- and usually end up getting a good business going before they are even done with school.

He sounds like the kind of person who can do it!

I have done the whole college thing before and I have done the bottle calves thing before. Mixing the two would not have worked well. There are days in college where 3 or 4 hours of class and an hour of work on projects and studying is sufficient and there are days where I spent 5 hours in class, up to seven hours in labs, and needed every other waking hour to work on a term paper, study for an exam, and work on project. Having been there before any project that DEMANDS 2 or three hours a day EVERY day like bottle calves is foolish. IF you are going to be a college student; be a college student. If you are going to dork around on a nickle and dime venture like bottle calves, I don't think you can be the best possible college student and unlike that $150 you are going to make off of a bottle calf, that grade point average stays with you for the rest of your career.

I would also NOT recommend ignoring the completely unprecedented social opportunities college provides. I spent college working, in class, 115 miles away working on my family's farm, or in the library. I was friendly with 100++ intelligent, many lovely, young ladies. Girls were inviting me to their parties, asking me what I was doing on the weekend (of course I was going to be baling hay, bushogging, and repairing fences). Heck I was being greeted with unasked for hugs multiple times a day AND I usually smelled like a horse and I have always been a big ugly. While friendly, I didn't socialize often; because I had work to do. Later in life when I actively sought a wife; my choices were very very slim and it took a LOT more effort on my part to even meet eligible young ladies. I am not recommending that a young man marry in college; BUT especially if you are going to work in a male dominated field it might be wise to at least be collecting names and phone numbers. Life is NOT like college or high school. Spending those years with a pack of bottle calves may not ultimately be the smartest use of your time.

I also think bottle babies are not what he needs at the moment. The bigger cows can take care of themselves, most of the time. Except for putting out hay or a little feed. And someone needs to check on them to be sure all is going well.
You have bovine fever for sure.
I would at least buy two cows in the beginning. The best deal is a bred cow with a calf. But that might be on the "hard to find list." If you aren't sure what to look for, I would go looking first, then if I see something I like, take an older cattle person that has been in the cattle business for years. If a three in one deal is too high, then a mature cow that is bred would be nice. Just buy what you can afford. I had rather have a nice yearling heifer that isn't bred, than a scrub cow with a scrub calf. Be careful of those that like to stick it to inexperienced people. They can see you coming a mile away. Make a call to your extension agent to see who they think might be a trusting soul. Or just someone you trust that is in the cattle business.
But make sure you buy no less than two cows.
I think one cow by itself would stress out pretty bad. Just like Crowderfarms stated, "They are herd animals."
After you purchase the first pair, then you can start buying one at a time to add to your herd.

RichieMaGoo":1l5rnw3b said:
Have you considered raising Holstein steers from bottle calves, DBC? It takes little time- just feed 'em twice a day. They can be raised in hutches virtually anywhere (built my hutches for under $40 a piece)....and it's a great way to into cattle on the cheap. Of course you won't be building a reproducing herd this way....but with the money you make off of them, you can get you some real cows 8 or 9 months down the road- and if moving is in your plans.....you'll be selling the steers anyway.

I started this way just ten months ago....and i've got 25 steers now.....for less than what a few cows would have cost me. (and quite frankly, this is working out so well, I'm not planning on getting cows, unless the prices drop drastically)

Way to much work I would like to put it this way. Breed them, then feed then and then sell them. You dont want to have to sit there a hold a bottle for a little Jersey steer. Plus college boy when will he have time to study and party and having to worry about bottle feeding a little jersey steer. Get a beef herd its easyier and in the long run more profit involved.

The best way to buy is Pay Cash.Buy Top Quality at a resonable price.And the most important dont take advice on cattle from someone who does'nt own any...And whatever the banker says to do,do the exact opposite....

Our cattle pretty much take care of themselves too...but I still check them twice a day. Low maintenance cows are the goal of everyone and they are easy to own until something goes wrong....you could loose your investiment over night and/or really endear yourself to your neighbors with a herd grazing the winter wheat. I'd make a plan and decide what breed, what type of operation, costs, equipment, where...and most important the reason why you want to grow cattle. Get your facts down in front of you and make an informed decision....oh yeah...pay cash, it will keep your butt out of the slammer if things go south....good luck. DMc

hey whatabull, pulling a calf in the rain? How about a blizzard in below zero temps....cowboy up .... To the young person who wants to get started.... do it now, if ya wait until everything is right it won't happen. Even if you start with 3 - 5 cows, if this is what you want get going. If your family has a herd buy animals that will fit with them so they sell better and work your butt off when you are home to make up for other times. Buy only the best replacement heifers or bred heifers, don't be afraid to go to a bank and borrow, but get good foundation and be patient and let the herd grow when ya can. My best wishes to ya

Latest posts