Best used tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
So I have a john deere 5303 two wheel drive with front end loader. I use it as my feed tractor during winter in spring and summer I use it to mow hay and load hay rolls since it's my only tractor with loader on it. Since we have had a very wet winter and nearly 8 " of snow last week it is very muddy I can't hardly even back the tractor out of the barn with out getting stuck. The tractor seems very light on the back end. It has fluid in the tires and two wheel weights on each back tire but it does seem to help. The tractor seems to have plenty of power but not enough ass to do anything. I have a 7 foot bush hog brand disc mower that I use on this tractor and when I go up step hills the tractor will spin. So after this week I have had enough with this tractor when I got stuck on flat ground in the snow it just sat there and spun I had to get my other tractor and pull it all the way to the barn. So Iam looking for 60-75 hp tractor with loader no cab brand doesn't really matter but since this I my first john deere tractor Iam not to impressed so not sure about buying another one. Don't want a new one just a good used one even something 15 years old or so. What brand / model do you all suggest???

pricefarm":3etpnsud said:
So I have a john deere 5303 two wheel drive with front end loader.

(big snip)

since this I my first john deere tractor Iam not to impressed so not sure about buying another one. Don't want a new one just a good used one even something 15 years old or so. What brand / model do you all suggest???

It is you that is to blame - not the tractor.

I am not a JD guy so I find it funny that I am defending the breed - however no workman should blame his tools.

You are asking it to do something it cannot do and then get PO'd at the equipment.

Weights and fluids in the tires are not always going to help push those front wheels in crappy conditions especially if there is no bottom under that mud layer.

Fact is the front tires need to turn and pull in those conditions - which they cannot do.

We cannot see those front tires but I would wager they are hard, narrow and will not do well in mud.

We cannot see the loader and we cannot see those back tires - which might be as smooth as my head is bald. That loader pushes those narrow front tires into the mud and you are done.

Every piece of equipment - no matter the colour has its abilities and its liabilities.

Every tractor has a weight and balance for best performance and it sounds like yours is out of whack and has been for some time.

Be that as it may - replace it with an all wheel drive (4x4) and you will be a far happier camper if you are doing a bunch of mudding, snow work or even wet grass conditions.

I personally have nothing against the suggestion DMF made other than cost - but there are a bunch of good ones out there in your price range.

Any serious sales outfit will allow you to take one home for a few days of rental use before you buy - you might want to try a whole bunch of them before you commit.

Go and try all colours before you commit and if you go open station be sure to get a canopy - they are cheap like borscht and it really does make a difference.

Best to you

Bez

snake67":2nqwgkub said:
pricefarm":2nqwgkub said:

(big snip)

since this I my first john deere tractor Iam not to impressed so not sure about buying another one. Don't want a new one just a good used one even something 15 years old or so. What brand / model do you all suggest???

I am not a JD guy so I find it funny that I am defending the breed - however no workman should blame his tools.

You are asking it to do something it cannot do and then get PO'd at the equipment.

Weights and fluids in the tires are not always going to help push those front wheels in crappy conditions especially if there is no bottom under that mud layer.

Fact is the front tires need to turn and pull in those conditions - which they cannot do.

We cannot see those front tires but I would wager they are hard, narrow and will not do well in mud.

We cannot see the loader and we cannot see those back tires - which might be as smooth as my head is bald. That loader pushes those narrow front tires into the mud and you are done.

Every piece of equipment - no matter the colour has its abilities and its liabilities.

Every tractor has a weight and balance for best performance and it sounds like yours is out of whack and has been for some time.

Be that as it may - replace it with an all wheel drive (4x4) and you will be a far happier camper if you are doing a bunch of mudding, snow work or even wet grass conditions.

I personally have nothing against the suggestion DMF made other than cost - but there are a bunch of good ones out there in your price range.

Any serious sales outfit will allow you to take one home for a few days of rental use before you buy - you might want to try a whole bunch of them before you commit.

Go and try all colours before you commit and if you go open station be sure to get a canopy - they are cheap like borscht and it really does make a difference.

Best to you

Bez

The the tires are as good as new the tractor only has 600 hours on it. The loader is a 520 I think came with the tractor from the john deere dealership. I have a 2510 long two wheel drive that I have used the past few days to feed since getting the JD stuck and it will go anywhere with getting stuck Iam sure the loader on the front adds a lot of weight on the front end but I know other people that have two wheel drive tractor with loaders that get around fine in the mud. I think my problem is mainly a weight problem.

I have real good luck with the Kubotas. Hard to fine a good used tractor that size. I look at tractors all the time. Atkins in Pembroke has a J.D. 5310 4x4 with loader 1200 hr. The Kubota dealer here had a 9540 with cab listed. That tractor would be a nice one. Dealer in Vinton has a 585 Case IH 4x4 on his lot. That's a 52 pto. Good luck.

fitz

Bez gave good advice.

First off, I have no clue what a JD 5303 or a Long 2510 looks like. I am quite familiar with JD 2510 tractors. IMO, this is the about the size of 2wd tractor you need for adequate loader capability in adverse conditons. You could go smaller with a mfwd tractor, but a mfwd is going to be newer and cost more.

Sounds like your 5303 is in over its head for what you want it to do right from the get go. I've never understood why a lot of people want to buy a tractor with very borderline capabilty for the job at hand. A bigger tractor can do more small jobs than a small tractor can do large jobs.

And I would hope that if you are carrying a single bale only, that you are carrying the bale on the 3 pt hitch and not on the loader. If you are trying to carry a bale with the loader on a small tractor with no bale on the 3pt for balance, then in the immortal words of Homer Simpson, I would say "Doh!" What would you expect when you try to defy the laws of physics?

If you can't afford a newer bigger tractor, get a tractor big enough to do the job but old enough that you can afford it. You will likely tear up any tractor, new or used, if you ask more of it than it is designed for.

In the meantime, a cheap/free option would be to borrow a set of good clumpy type tire chains from someone to try on your 5303 and see if chains make the mud/snow performance more acceptable. If you can live with the rough ride and loss of ground speed you might get by.

my feeding tractors are a jd 3020 and a ford 6640 both 2 wheel drive and when you add the weight of the bale on the loader it drives my tires into the bottomless mud. I used my long landtrac 29hp 4x4 tractor and had no issues like I do with the bigger tractors but the 29hp is way underpowered and will only use it if absolutely necessary.

How about setting the loader off and trying the tractor without. I feel sure the loader is a quick attach loader.

John SD":2g2rsf96 said:
Bez gave good advice.

First off, I have no clue what a JD 5303 or a Long 2510 looks like. I am quite familiar with JD 2510 tractors. IMO, this is the about the size of 2wd tractor you need for adequate loader capability in adverse conditons. You could go smaller with a mfwd tractor, but a mfwd is going to be newer and cost more.

Sounds like your 5303 is in over its head for what you want it to do right from the get go. I've never understood why a lot of people want to buy a tractor with very borderline capabilty for the job at hand. A bigger tractor can do more small jobs than a small tractor can do large jobs.

If you can't afford a newer bigger tractor, get a tractor big enough to do the job but old enough that you can afford it. You will likely tear up any tractor, new or used, if you ask more of it than it is designed for.

In the meantime, a cheap/free option would be to borrow a set of good clumpy type tire chains from someone to try on your 5303 and see if chains make the mud/snow performance more acceptable. If you can live with the rough ride and loss of ground speed you might get by.

I would hope the JD isn't over it's head on setting out 4x4 rolls of hay or pulling a 7 foot mower it's around 60 hp.

denvermartinfarms":3pi0jq11 said:
bbirder":3pi0jq11 said:
denvermartinfarms":3pi0jq11 said:
M6800 Kubota, IMO they are better than a John Deere of that size and age.
I'm sure you meant to add 4 wheel drive.
Yea, 4x4 and loader. He said it had to be 4x4 so I thought that whent without saying.
Ok, I was wrong he didn't mention 4x4. But yes it needs to be, or it's going to have to be bigger than 70hp.

pricefarm":104xf3bz said:
John SD":104xf3bz said:
Bez gave good advice.

I would hope the JD isn't over it's head on setting out 4x4 rolls of hay or pulling a 7 foot mower it's around 60 hp.

I edited my post above while you were posting. A JD 5303 and a JD 2510 would both be in the 60 hp range. I would wager the 2510 might still be a heavier tractor.

Maybe as someone else suggested, have you tried bales without putting one on the loader? Or if the loader is easily quick tached, taken the loader off?

What does a 4x4 bale weigh? I'm guessing no more than 1000 lbs? I can't imagine any 60 HP tractor having a problem dealing with 4x4 bales on the rear. My 45 HP Fordson Major handled 800 lb 5x5 bales easily.

Same tractor struggled with 1300 lb 5x5 bales. After I picked the bale up I had to drive in reverse to where I was going. If I didn't , the tractor did wheelies all the way and I would lose the bale before I got where I was going. :shock: :lol:

Edit: Another thing I meant to ask is: Does your 5303 have diff lock. If so, do you use it and does it help?

I would think most modern tractors would have diff lock. My mfwd has both front and rear. My old Fords have gotten out of some pretty sticky situations with diff lock.

OTOH, sometimes a guy only does a better job getting stuck! :lol: :lol:

pricefarm":9popkh2r said:
snake67":9popkh2r said:
pricefarm":9popkh2r said:

(big snip)

Best to you

Bez

The the tires are as good as new the tractor only has 600 hours on it. The loader is a 520 I think came with the tractor from the john deere dealership. I have a 2510 long two wheel drive that I have used the past few days to feed since getting the JD stuck and it will go anywhere with getting stuck Iam sure the loader on the front adds a lot of weight on the front end but I know other people that have two wheel drive tractor with loaders that get around fine in the mud. I think my problem is mainly a weight problem.
I had a Ford 4630 2 wheel drive with a loader, this time of the year when the ground got really rotten it was almost helpless in the mud with the loader on. I got aggravated enough I was willing to sell all the cows. Used my neighbors Kubota 4 wheel drive to feed with and decided to buy me one. I really love my Kubota M7040, goes great in the slop, I dread the day when it does get stuck.

pricefarm":1fl7zf2b said:
The tractor struggles to go in mud and snow without a roll of hay on the front or back.

In that case, I would say dump the loader when you have mud/snow. Plan to arrange your bales so you don't need the loader to feed them. If/when you have to put the loader back on for any reason, keep a bale on the tractor.

Gosh I can't imagine having a newer tractor like that and get it stuck just backing out of the shed. I'd say you have a couple options, first is make sure you actually have fluid in the tires, and put wheel weights and chains on your existing tractor, or 2nd option is buy an older fwd tractor with more hp than you need to do the job. If your disc mower is pulling a tire off the ground then I would put it on a bigger tractor while your still alive! Too many deaths in this business to take chances or tolerate that sort of thing going on. I've got an old Jd 3010 with fluid in the tires and it goes thru the shyt just fine, but I think it weighs more than these newer tractors.
Long story short; either add weight,chains or add to the equipment in your shed.

This thread makes me think back to earlier days. A lot of folks around here switched from loose hay to round bales in the 1980's. I did not get a round baler until I bought a well used Hesston 5500 for the 1994 hay season.

When we all stacked loose hay, very few people had a loader tractor over 60 HP and most people had Farmhand F10s and F25s on them. There were a couple of JD copycat Farmhands, but few had loaders as we know them today.

We had 2 loader tractors, a Case DC and a IH Super M. Both with F10s. The Super M was definitely superior in mud and snow. No real difference in HP and certainly not a heavier tractor than the DC but the SM was better balanced for Farmhand work.

Neither tractor had power steering. The SM had the advantage there and a good Schwartz front end using the OEM IH front hubs/wheels. The DC had the advantage of a wet clutch (hand operated) and live PTO for the pump. My left knee bothers some every so often to this day and I blame it on all those years of clutching with the SM. :roll:

When we got round bales that was pretty much the end of using a loader to handle hay. I stacked the bales into14 bale stacks to haul but that was it. Had the Fordson Major by that time which became the main feeding tractor. IAlso got a Ford 8600 with a cab to feed, but still no loader.

I'm thinking of the evolution of the equipment neighbors have used since going from loose hay to round bales. We all had 2wd loader tractors and didn't know any better back then.

One neighbor's main tractor was a JD 3020 with F25. Also had a 4230 JD with 148 loader which got traded for a 4040. Both loaders with factory JD hay heads. They added a new 4250 (still 2wd) with a 158 in the 80's. That tractor was a hoss of a loader tractor, especially compared to my DC and SM!

Neighbor still has the 3020, 4040, and 4250. Took the loader and stacker cab off the 3020 and it is a seldom used utility tractor now. Ford 9030 bi-di is the main chore tractor now. They bought it new along with a swather head. No more swather head because they got a new NH self propelled now.

Another neighbor had a DC and a IH 504. In the 80's they bought a new White 2-85 2wd with a loader. Wow, nice warm cab was light years ahead of the home built comfort cover on the 504. Not to the mention the rest of the tractor. A 504 is good little tractor but basically is a glorified H. :lol:

White got retired from loader duty when neighbor bought a new mfwd Fiat 80-90. Fiat is kinda retired now too since neighbor bought a 135 HP NH mfwd. Not sure of the model number.

Another neighbor for years did everything with a Ford 5000 and F10. When they got into round bales they ended up with a Case 2290 2wd with Farmhand 1140. Still have the Case but now have a JD 4055 mfwd with a loader on it.

We've come a long way, baby! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The 5303 is an economy level Deere. It is made in India. It is light for the horse power.
The Indian Deeres are kind of like the Deere mowers sold at Home Depot. They are look alike Deeres.

In reference to the Kubota. The M7040 replaced the M6800.
I like mine too. A Kubota M5030 was a real good tractor if you can still find one. They are around but hard to find in any shape. The 5030 New Holland or 75 series is a good tractor in that h.p. range also.

fitz

Latest posts