Best truck rifle?

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
For years I have always carried a 22 rifle in my farm truck. Used it to shoot ground hogs, raccoons eatting my corn just what ever. Now with the high price of 22 ammo and the avablity of it what rifle would you all suggest ?? Wouldn't be shoting more than maybe 100 yards and wouldn't really need a scope on it as it would be bouncing around in the cab of the truck. Thanks

Even at the current price .22 is still the most economical. If you reload there are other options, but not necessarily cheaper.
There are some very good air rifles out there worth consideration

pricefarm":5ivrd1b7 said:
For years I have always carried a 22 rifle in my farm truck. Used it to shoot ground hogs, raccoons eatting my corn just what ever. Now with the high price of 22 ammo and the avablity of it what rifle would you all suggest ?? Wouldn't be shoting more than maybe 100 yards and wouldn't really need a scope on it as it would be bouncing around in the cab of the truck. Thanks

.17hmr is my truck rifle has a scope bounces around in the truck ,tractors , ranger and 4 wheeler still accurate and I have been carrying it around for about 4 years daily now.

I carry a 223 most all the time. Never know when you might need a little extra. Bullets are fairly cheap and easy to shoot.

skyhightree1":14z7fjj9 said:
pricefarm":14z7fjj9 said:

.17hmr is my truck rifle has a scope bounces around in the truck ,tractors , ranger and 4 wheeler still accurate and I have been carrying it around for about 4 years daily now.

What kind of scope do u have on it.

pricefarm":2epb3tux said:
skyhightree1":2epb3tux said:
pricefarm":2epb3tux said:

What kind of scope do u have on it.

My sister gave me this scope for a b-day present and I was worried that it would break cause of how it does get bumped around and for the years of bumps and occasional drops on the ground it still remains accurate.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/CenterPoint-I ... ethod=p13n

I keep a 223 savage axis in the truck, it has a scope and I have been very pleased with it for what I use it for. I've shot alot of coyotes and hogs with it and I shot a crow at 210 yards just today.

pricefarm":3ugy1p5t said:

If as you say not more than 100 yards, probably anything from 17 hmr to 22 hornet. If there is a possibility of more open terrain, probably 223, 22-250 or 243.

My sister gave me this scope for a b-day present and I was worried that it would break cause of how it does get bumped around and for the years of bumps and occasional drops on the ground it still remains accurate.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/CenterPoint-I ... ethod=p13n[/quote]

Thanks sky I will look at that scope. Looks like a pretty good price if it holds up like it says it does.

pricefarm":2yasdcfv said:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/CenterPoint-I ... ethod=p13n

Thanks sky I will look at that scope. Looks like a pretty good price if it holds up like it says it does.[/quote]

yw

I carry a model 94 30-30 every where. Good knock down for hogs, deer, cattle but still easy to shoot snakes and varmits. Stores always seem to always have 30-30 ammo. I like the size of a lever gun in the truck. Good capacity and fairly quick. Bullet doesnt try to carry as much either.

A 30-30 is a fine truck gun. The only things that I don't like is the open sights and the choice of bullets. I like a bullet that fragment and disintegrate like a varmint type.

highgrit":1lzwn5rd said:
A 30-30 is a fine truck gun. The only things that I don't like is the open sights and the choice of bullets. I like a bullet that fragment and disintegrate like a varmint type.
In years agone by I reloaded 30-30 with the 100 gr bullet from speer, I think it was called the plinker. Worked good enough out to around 75 yards to dispatch critters up to the size of coyotes

I know a wad cutter doesn't stop till it runs out of energy. I have some plinkers in 30 carbine I think. A old man that came to our bar when I was a kid gave me some. At least that's what he called them. I called him uncle Pat, he gave me all kinds of hunting and fishing stuff. Then he was gone, my Dad told me he died of cancer and didn't want me to see him like that. Thanks for the memories Dun. It still hurts even after 50 years.

Brute23, once you pull the trigger you can never take the shot back. I shoot around water alot, and have cows and people fairly close by.
Somethings saying and being sorry for just don't cut it.

My truck gun is a Winchester lever action in .357. I can pop that thing up and shoot without even getting out of the truck and get a lot of rounds off pretty quick. It has two safeties, one being the safety and the other the hammer, so it's fairly safe to rattle around with a round in the chamber. It will put a hurt on a pig and is accurate enough to hit one out to 100 yards. It is also lite/small enough that I can grab it and go for a walk with fence tools and not get to worn out.

Latest posts