Best Tattoo Pliers

Help Support CattleToday:

Donnybrook

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what they think is the best brand of tattoo pliers, ink etc. & the drawbacks of some?? Thanks

We use the same type pliers dun referred to and like them for the same reasons. Bought some white ink last fall to try on the black calves, will see how it works out in the spring. We put the farm ID and animal ID both in the left ear and save the right ear for the vet's bangs tattoo.

Thanks to all for the advice. I just don't want to spend $$ on a bad pair & the tattoo thing is totally new to me. Thanks Again

I prefer to use polish instead of ink on non-black eared cattle. Makes less of a mess and seem to make a broader clearer tattoo.

I use Bainbridge five space pliers. Mainly because I got them second-hand but brand new and unused for fifty bucks. They are the most expensive (here anyway) for the pliers themselves and the digits. I got a second set also cheap and only lightly used, so now I leave my breeder's prefix in one set of pliers, and change the other to give the individual id. Similar to what dun mentioned.
I like the simple, robust design of the bainbridge, however the main drawback I have found is that they are very heavy, I find it difficult when doing a whole day of tattooing (I am rather small and not that strong).

We use the Stone brand at work, they are the cheapest here. The model we use has the swivel head so one side gets individual id and the other gets stud prefix. They are lighter and smaller, so they fit in my hand better and they are not as tiring. They have held up just as well as my bainbridge ones, even though they are cheaper, and in fact they get more use than mine.

I havent used the ketchum ones.

If I was going to buy a brand new set I would go for the stone pliers. Cheap but no problems with them.

As far as ink goes, the green ketchum paste is best for all livestock. It shows up well in all ears, including black ears. Most tattoo outfits come with a jar of black ink. Most breeders chuck it out. Since I have angoras (white skin in ears) I get these jars of black ink free from producers in our area, its a cheap way of getting the ink!

fit2btied":121jekyo said:
We use the same type pliers dun referred to and like them for the same reasons. Bought some white ink last fall to try on the black calves, will see how it works out in the spring. We put the farm ID and animal ID both in the left ear and save the right ear for the vet's bangs tattoo.

Glad to see someone else doing this. The same goes for eartags. My hat's off to you Fit2. :tiphat:

Can anyone tell me where I can buy white tottoo ink on line,I can't buy it in australia, mick.

valleyvet.com
in the upper corner under search type ink. The first item listed has white ink

Latest posts