Best scale to weigh calves

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
What is the best brand of scales for weighing cattle? I bought a set of the cheap Os off eBay a few years ago and they have bit the dust and I never really trusted them anyway.
Which do you prefer platform scales in the alley or the load cells you can mount under the squeeze chute ? Either one will work with my set up.

You get what you pay for, I learned my lesson too. I use True Test under my chute. They are on load bars. I have had them about 6 years and they work very well. Probably weigh individual animals 300 to 400 times per year. I had a cheap set of platform scales before that. To me putting in a cage and gates for the platform is more trouble than it is worth. When the animals go down the alley, they go into the chute. I don't want to stop their momentum. Flighty cows on a platform is not for me.
I think they have a new kind where the load cells mount to the sides of your chute so your chute isn't raised higher.

bird dog said:
You get what you pay for, I learned my lesson too. I use True Test under my chute. They are on load bars. I have had them about 6 years and they work very well. Probably weigh individual animals 300 to 400 times per year. I had a cheap set of platform scales before that. To me putting in a cage and gates for the platform is more trouble than it is worth. When the animals go down the alley, they go into the chute. I don't want to stop their momentum. Flighty cows on a platform is not for me.
I think they have a new kind where the load cells mount to the sides of your chute so your chute isn't raised higher.

Did you order them online or buy them local ?

kenny thomas said:
I have tru test also. Sitting in the box beside the chute for 3 years. Got to get them installed sometime. My lazy

I would beat you probably can guess there weight pretty good. Iam horrible at it. Iam pretty good with guessing cows weight but calves Iam not. I sold some a while back that where 250 lbs heavier than I thought

We have a True Test platform scale. It's heavy duty and the platform is well made. It's long enough to fit full sized cows on. I don't know if they make smaller ones specific for feeder calves, but I would suspect they do because the system is made up of two load bars on the ends that mount to the platform. You could easily have a custom platform made and attach the loadbars. The display has an easy read out with zeroing the scale.

We put the scale in our alley right before the chute. The scale doesn't fit inside our chute. I built a custom wood "crate" that fits around the scale and attaches to the back of the chute. It has solid plywood sides that keeps the calves would trying to turn around or poke their heads thru the sides. Just a slot on the sides to slide a 2x6 in behind their butt. They seams to come in and settle down pretty well with this system and we get reliable weight. The trick is to have a good level spot to set the platform on and keep any side panels from setting on or pushing against the platform. We tried using a bar behind the calves and they would sort of sit on it and mess up the weight. A flat vertical barrier just below he tailhead keeps them from backing out and doesn't mess with your weight readout.

We used to use a chute with built in scales that the beef producers association had, but the calves take a while to settle down when they got in the chute. Plus, everyone was trying to use it at the same time in the Fall and you'd have to go hunt it down.

Most of the modern higher quality scales will lock on very quickly. The old cheapo's won't and that was the main reason I took a financial hit to buy a good set. The cost was well worth it. As WF farm said you need a level spot to put them on. A concrete slab is best my my on current setup, I just dug two trenches about 8" deep and 12" wide to make concrete beams to bolt my down to. With them under a chute, there is nothing for the calf or the platform to foul the weight. The scale locks on in under five seconds.
'

Latest posts