Best of Craigslist Equip.

Help Support CattleToday:

Gotta love CL ads. We've bought and sold some machinery using CL but it's amazing some of the crap and over-pricing some of these people put on there. Some guys think if you slap some paint on a tractor you can get nearly twice what it is worth, unless you think it's worth that as a show tractor then good for you but some pretty paint on an older 56/66/86 series IH tractor isn't going to make it any better tractor in the feed lot or in the field as an every day tractor.

If you price something just right amazed how many calls you can get in 24 hours. Took an old 7ft 3pt Oliver sickle mower out of the shed last summer we hadn't used in over 10 years so figured why not try to get a couple hundred bucks for it since there is probably a limited market of people who would actually use it. Priced it at $400 I think and had 5 calls the first day and was sold and off the farm before the ad was even up for 24 hours. Made me wish we had started at a higher price!

Cabo":252fqnqc said:
Not even if it had all the blades, bearings, and tires replaced.

you got that right. :nod:

SPH":252fqnqc said:
Gotta love CL ads. We've bought and sold some machinery using CL but it's amazing some of the crap and over-pricing some of these people put on there. Some guys think if you slap some paint on a tractor you can get nearly twice what it is worth, unless you think it's worth that as a show tractor then good for you but some pretty paint on an older 56/66/86 series IH tractor isn't going to make it any better tractor in the feed lot or in the field as an every day tractor.

If you price something just right amazed how many calls you can get in 24 hours. Took an old 7ft 3pt Oliver sickle mower out of the shed last summer we hadn't used in over 10 years so figured why not try to get a couple hundred bucks for it since there is probably a limited market of people who would actually use it. Priced it at $400 I think and had 5 calls the first day and was sold and off the farm before the ad was even up for 24 hours. Made me wish we had started at a higher price!

Exactly I sell a ton of equip off of craigslist. The site was started to be able to get good deals and not have to pay listing fees like ebay and stuff but people have started to get out of hand with pricing their stuff they are attaching emotional value to their items instead of real life value its insane. I buy alot of equip from there too.

Here's one of the ads I was just talking about that I think needs about 10k off the asking price if he thinks it is ever going to sell: http://desmoines.craigslist.org/grd/4375590620.html Yes it's a nice tractor with low hours and well taken care of but you can find a good 1066 for around 10k if you look around. We just traded a german diesel 756 for a red stripe 1086 last year that was in good shape with about 6200 hours and 3 sets of hydraulics in the rear and only paid about $6250 after the trade (estimating the trade got us around $3500). Tractors of that age and size are going to be more for chore and light duty tractors not show and for $21000 you could get a lot more tractor than what he is offering.

thats a nice tractor well kept but as you say they do need to drop about 10k off the price I would love to have that ol girl though.

The paper here ran a good feature the other weekend about a guy that had his prized 1206 stolen and is offering a 20k reward: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... l/7047795/ I'm guessing that thing won't show up on CL if whoever stole knows better. What I want to know is how that thief is ever going to be able to do anything other than have it stashed away in a building somewhere because you will have every tractor collector in the area on the lookout now if it shows up in a parade or tractor show.

SPH":180xqtvq said:
The paper here ran a good feature the other weekend about a guy that had his prized 1206 stolen and is offering a 20k reward: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... l/7047795/ I'm guessing that thing won't show up on CL if whoever stole knows better. What I want to know is how that thief is ever going to be able to do anything other than have it stashed away in a building somewhere because you will have every tractor collector in the area on the lookout now if it shows up in a parade or tractor show.

LOL yea definately a no win situation for the thief

That's a good price I think for a restored JD.
My sister has one she's been trying to get me to buy for $1000 that has sat for 4 years with gasoline still in the tank and fuel valve open--2 years of it outside. 4 flat tires and hasn't been started in that time period.
Gonna need a carb rebuild for sure--it has the tricycle front end tho and I'm not interested in that set up.

greybeard":10au8sf3 said:
That's a good price I think for a restored JD.
My sister has one she's been trying to get me to buy for $1000 that has sat for 4 years with gasoline still in the tank and fuel valve open--2 years of it outside. 4 flat tires and hasn't been started in that time period.
Gonna need a carb rebuild for sure--it has the tricycle front end tho and I'm not interested in that set up.

I agree its a good price. I don't like tricycle front ends on tractors much. I wonder what the cost would be to fix your sisters up and restore would be GB.

M.Magis":3fkqmgti said:
Got a kick out of this one. "MUST SEE", but no pics. What they describe sounds like a variety of junk thrown together. All for the bargain price of $2500.
http://zanesville.craigslist.org/grd/4450496501.html

come on now dont you picture it in your head lol its nicest thing on c-list :lol: go ahead spend the 2500 skip lunch 1 day it will be worth it ;-)

SPH":3p36njrq said:

Bought this one off CL. Figured it would make a pretty good hay raking tractor.

fitz

tractors_002.jpg

Fitz, that should be a solid unit for you. 4wd with the loader is a big plus too. We were really pleased with the 4900 we had. Only reason we don't still have ours is it was 2wd and we found a good deal on a 6800 4wd.

A.J.":3c1p9i13 said:
Fitz, that should be a solid unit for you. 4wd with the loader is a big plus too. We were really pleased with the 4900 we had. Only reason we don't still have ours is it was 2wd and we found a good deal on a 6800 4wd.

Hang on to it. That 6800 was a great tractor. I call on every one I see listed. Dealers or private. Nice ones are hard to come by. Saw two in Texas. Little too far for me. I have a 7040. Bought it when they came out in '06. Been a good one.

fitz

Latest posts