Best new Angus bull this year?

Help Support CattleToday:

Air gator

Reaction score
Who is the best new Angus bull to enter stud this year? If going by price it would be Sav President 6847 and his flushmates. They are by Coleman Charlo 0256 and Sav Blackcap May 4136. Rainfall, Raindance, and Governor. They sold for $750,000, $460,000, $450,000, and $435,000. Charlo seems to be one bull that really got a good bounce from the Single Step epd changes. I think he had a HP epd of -4.6 before the change and is now listed as +10.5. Every other bull's HP epd went down.

If you believe in EPDs it wont be any of that flush. Single step hammered most of the SAV cattle on $B. The flush brothers have pretty plain EPDs for AI stud bulls. Nothing to drive people to the bulls other than selling price and the SAV name. That will certainly sell semen on them just not enough for them to be the "hot" bull. As far as HP Charlo's HP moved to breed average or there abouts. Lots of bulls went up on HP including most of the AI bulls we used this winter.

I am not smart enough to know who the next hot bull is..

Been around a little while but KCF Fortress and SS Niagara I am using. Like the epd package, phenotype of bulls and their calves. Really liked what I have seen in both.

I'm not a numbers player, will try a little Raindance from ST. A up and coming last year bull you will be hearing about if your a numbers player is Jindra Acclaim.

I don't look for the highest growth epds. I actually think twice about a bull if his growth seems extreme. I do try to be aware of milk and epds related to train wrecks so I can avoid them.
Here's a bull that I really like...Connealy Legendary. Although, he doesn't look like a calving ease bull to me.
https://vimeo.com/217311258

Legendary looks to be a honest rib eye sire.
Kind of reminds me a little bit of that smooth look TEN X had as a young sire with a better butt.

I don't understand how a 1 doc sire used on a daughter of a 6 doc sire should be expected to produce a 14 doc son
and when the accuracy of that 14 doc son is so low I'd expect more caution

Same with his calving ease, I expect him to be closer to breed average than calving ease when he hits .70 accuracy

Jscunn,
I honestly didn't see any other bull with a HP edp that went up. It seems like most milk epds went down.

Cowboy,
Stgenetics has done a great job of selecting bulls. I wish I had enough land and enough cows to try a bunch of them.

Air Gator,
Sorry I didnt see your question right away.
Sydgen Black Pearl, Sydgen Rock Star, and Sydgen Wake up Call all went up on HP.

JMB Traction went way down on milk, from 50 something to 30 something.. :shock:

jscunn":fe0xgp33 said:
Air Gator,
Sydgen Black Pearl, Sydgen Rock Star, and Sydgen Wake up Call all went up on HP.

Thats a good thing :)

Lazy M":1ahuw8ik said:
GN+":1ahuw8ik said:
Hard for me to say "Best" this year because they aren't proven yet, but I'm pretty excited about Magnitude. His EPD profile is pretty spectacular

https://bullsearch.absglobal.com/beef/b ... ountry/222
With all due respect, that bull should have never been left intact. He looks about as poor as his sire.

I think it depends on the objective. Sure he won't make show calves, but his combination of performance and carcass traits, along with the calving ease and docility, is pretty good.

GN+":dxi8shd6 said:
Lazy M":dxi8shd6 said:
GN+":dxi8shd6 said:
Hard for me to say "Best" this year because they aren't proven yet, but I'm pretty excited about Magnitude. His EPD profile is pretty spectacular

https://bullsearch.absglobal.com/beef/b ... ountry/222
With all due respect, that bull should have never been left intact. He looks about as poor as his sire.

I think it depends on the objective. Sure he won't make show calves, but his combination of performance and carcass traits, along with the calving ease and docility, is pretty good.
He may be good as a terminal sire if his numbers pan out

jscunn":2wvuyw7u said:
Air Gator,

Oh nice, I hadn't checked his #'s since the changes, thanks for pointing that out

Thanks Jscunn,
I honestly had only seen numbers go down...for bulls like Sitz Dash and Connealy Thunder.

Gizmom,
Hope you are having fun. Hope the bulls haven't all been sent home for summer vacation.

Any thoughts on Connealy Legendary and Connealy Century...anyone??

Latest posts