Best lawn tractor brand

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a Cub Commercial Recon. Had it for 7 years. It has a cut welded deck and a 25 hp Koehler. I think it also is a rebadged lesco. It was close to $7000.00, but I would do it again. Mowed about five acres a week for five years down to three acres now.

danl":2igguvtf said:
I have a Cub Commercial Recon. Had it for 7 years. It has a cut welded deck and a 25 hp Koehler. I think it also is a rebadged lesco. It was close to $7000.00, but I would do it again. Mowed about five acres a week for five years down to three acres now.
Cub made lesco. When I started searching for parts everything lead to cub tank. The manuals are exactly the same but different part numbers

Bigfoot":29zzlqfn said:
Spent a many an hour on one of these babies just "thinkin". Learned to cuss trying to start it.

We had a mower like that once, cousin said he didn't want it so I got it and fixed it. Man that thing left a clean cut although it wasn't very wide. Turned out after I fixed it my cousin did want it, imagine that. :x

First Snapper was 8 HP and 32" cut. Last Snapper was 12 HP and 32" cut. I hated them all. Bought a Murray from the local Oschlein store. (Similar to Tractor Supply) Cheapest built mower ever. The blades spun on bushings, not bearings. Bought a JD510 0n Craigslist. Excellent mower. 13HP Kawasaki and 38" deck. I mow 5 acres and the engine eventually gave up. Inherited a JD345GX from my Son-in-Law, 800+ hrs on the clock. 20 HP 2 cyl Kawasaki and 54" deck. Very good, excellent mower. These older Deere's are very good mowers. Pricey, granted, but very good mowers.

A lot of you bashed Cub Cadets. Maybe they are another piece of junk. Seems like most everything is.

That said. I pulled mine out of the pond at dusk yesterday. I just got it running, and finished where my wife left off.

We have a John Deere L140, the same cheaper line they sell at Lowes and Home Depot, but we bought ours from a JD dealer. 2 cylinder B&S and a 48" deck. We've had it 6 or 7 years now, I think it has like 450 hours on it. It's been a good one, remarkably trouble free, and we're not nice to it. I'd buy another one.

Had an old John Deere rear engine rider that my dad bought when I was a kid. It was pretty well bulletproof - I ran it up to maybe 10 years ago, so it had to have been 30'ish years old when the motor finally died. Then I had a Murray for 3-4 years, by then the deck was pretty well shot, so I went back to Deere.

My father in law is a loyal Snapper man, but I hate 'em. They are definitely not built for big guys to operate, not sure I'd like it even if it did fit me.

I run a Bad Boy 48in cut zero turn. Cost a little something but I have a huge yard with lots of trees that used to take all day to mow with the old craftsman. Now, I can mow the whole yard in about 2 hours and not have near as much weed eating to do afterwards

Only problem is that it is hard to enjoy a frosty beverage while holding on to the sticks!! The old craftsman wouldn't start unless the mountains were blue!!!

They say there is a difference in John deeres you buy at discount places versus a Js dealer. The dealer ones are more expensive better built have a different colored deck

rnh2":1yg0a7ni said:
They say there is a difference in John deeres you buy at discount places versus a Js dealer. The dealer ones are more expensive better built have a different colored deck

Could well be. Ours is the L series, which is what the home improvement stores sold, but the exact same model wasn't at the home improvement stores. My criteria was a 48" deck with greaseable deck and steering. I believe the 48" at the home improvement stores had a single cylinder motor and smaller tires - it was a couple hundred cheaper, but I liked this one that much better anyway.

rnh2":2hgf5txl said:

There is a big difference between the two. Jd does not make the cheaper ones, they are just brand them. The cheapest actual JD is the X-300. Any of the. Real ones will have the kawisaki engine.

Just saw this one on CL.

00I0I_iwdW1Omo4kM_600x450.jpg

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/5639867771.html

bbirder":nu80d1v2 said:
Hero,
After using it awhile let us know how you like it. It cut my mowing time in half. Most people who convert never go back. :banana:

I mowed my lawn once with it. It will take some getting used to since it is totally different from my other one. It saved me a little time, but I was so awkward with it the first time, I won't be able to judge how much time it saves until I can handle it better. One thing I noticed is that it will slide sideways on inclines. I don't have any dangerous areas, but I do have a few slightly inclined areas, and I don't like that, but I'll adjust. I'm fairly certain I will like it once I adjust.

My brother bought a 60" zero-turn Gravely with heavy-duty deck.

At our old house where we mowed five acres, it took my wife and I on two regular JD tractors one a 48" cut and the other a 42" cut right at four hours to mow.
When I got the 60" Commercial Cub I could do it by myself in less than a hour and a half. That is after practice... You will want to practice behind the house out of sight. It is not a pretty sight :D

For the sake of full disclosure (does that sound political?) I should say that it took my wife over 2 hours to mow it by herself.
She thoroughly enjoys mowing and savors every minute. Unfortunately she hurt her back a couple of years ago and I wont let her mow yet. She is improving and I think she will be able to mow again by late summer. We have a minor fight every time I mow. She will say just two rounds.. When she was down with her back I did all the cooking, cleaning etc and don't want to go back there....

Mine came with a Grammer seat, but no where near that nice. Little out of my price range :(

herofan":2wblu614 said:
bbirder":2wblu614 said:
I mowed my lawn once with it. It will take some getting used to since it is totally different from my other one. It saved me a little time, but I was so awkward with it the first time, I won't be able to judge how much time it saves until I can handle it better. One thing I noticed is that it will slide sideways on inclines. I don't have any dangerous areas, but I do have a few slightly inclined areas, and I don't like that, but I'll adjust. I'm fairly certain I will like it once I adjust.

My brother bought a 60" zero-turn Gravely with heavy-duty deck.

Zero,
Best way to get the feel of it is get out in a large area that is clear of all obstacles and get crazy with it. That's how I trained my grandkids. They love to ride it, but balk at cutting grass! LOL. :lol2:

Latest posts