Best lawn tractor brand

Help Support CattleToday:

ga.prime":s7hg2gsj said:
I'd take a Craftsman over Murray or Snapper. I've worn out three of each. Last about 250-300 hrs. Working on getting the 4th Craftsman worn out now. The ball joints in the steering section are the only thing I've had to replace on this one and that was around the 200 hr mark.

My kids cut our grass with a 1994 craftsman lawnmower we had since it was new . I am also a fan of craftsman

The Murray we have has the industrial 18hp Briggs.. OHV, it runs good, a bit loud, but you don't stall the thing.. OK,.. that's a lie, I have stalled it out, but I was mowing a path for the electric fence in a 5' tall orchardgrass field... The thing has a hard life here, I did break a blade hub, and found that to be made of really cheap pot metal.. I managed to weld that up again.. I figure ours is from the mid 90's or so.
Husqvarna, despite being a "name brand" is crap, and I suspect MOST of the others are the same.. In all honesty, a Briggs engine is all one of these units need, since on both the ones I have I'm certain the engine will still have lots of life left in it by the time the deck and the rest of the machine falls to bits... As nice as it would be, it's also the reason I wouldn't bother with a diesel in one of them either.

Paid $50 for this one.. a Yazoo.. not nearly the cutting power of the Murray, but it'll be running for years after.. the whole deck is 1/8th plate.. and it's a zero turn. That old briggs starts on the first pull every time

I certainly appreciate the responses, but I guess my problem is solved. I mentioned to my brother that I needed a mower, and he said he had been thinking about getting him a new zero turn. He said he would just give me his old one. Its a Gravely, zero-turn, 50" cut, about ten years old and no issues. That wouldn't have been my choice if i were purchasing, but I'm not going to turn that down. It will probably last me a long while.

bbirder":3kbpeodg said:
If you are talking about new machines for $1000, draw straws and buy whichever one wins. They are all built cheap, but will do the job when you bring it home. Next, start saving your money for the next one, because sure as be nice you will need one by the next year or two. If that's what you are interested in, I would look for a good second hand. Many owners are disposing of these type of machines to purchase a z-turn or a heavier mower. :2cents:
You can't give me a mower with a steering wheel on it after owning a z. I run a Hustler but they are not cheap. My time is worth more to me than fighting a lighter machine.

Go figure :p After owning a couple Cub Cadet zero turns with steering wheel, I wouldn't want to own a tractor type, or a machine with sticks :lol: The steering wheel also gives me something solid to hang to when getting on and off, and I can drive with one hand.

Seems to me I would be more fatigued after 3 hours of running sticks than 3 hours behind the wheel. 3 hours is about my limit for a tank of gas anyway. Neighbor uses my 50" to get through narrow rows of junipers/cedars. Twins sticks would be tougher to get down the rows without scratching your hands to pieces :2cents:

Nesikep":2w4rr9xr said:
I know Gravely USED to be very good... don't know if inflation has made them cut a lot of corners too (pun intended)

I still have an old walk behind Gravley tractor from the 60s that I have a tiller on. Great machine after I get it started. It must weigh 350 lbs.

John SD":2n4jis3a said:
bbirder":2n4jis3a said:
If you are talking about new machines for $1000, draw straws and buy whichever one wins. They are all built cheap, but will do the job when you bring it home. Next, start saving your money for the next one, because sure as be nice you will need one by the next year or two. If that's what you are interested in, I would look for a good second hand. Many owners are disposing of these type of machines to purchase a z-turn or a heavier mower. :2cents:
You can't give me a mower with a steering wheel on it after owning a z. I run a Hustler but they are not cheap. My time is worth more to me than fighting a lighter machine.

Go figure :p After owning a couple Cub Cadet zero turns with steering wheel, I wouldn't want to own a tractor type, or a machine with sticks :lol: The steering wheel also gives me something solid to hang to when getting on and off, and I can drive with one hand.

Seems to me I would be more fatigued after 3 hours of running sticks than 3 hours behind the wheel. 3 hours is about my limit for a tank of gas anyway. Neighbor uses my 50" to get through narrow rows of junipers/cedars. Twins sticks would be tougher to get down the rows without scratching your hands to pieces :2cents:

I personally prefer the tractor style. I've never really been fascinated by the zero turn with sticks, although they seem to be the craze, but I'll take a free one.

skyhightree1":5kkzoa4e said:
LOL I never used one of those before but they were so funny looking and had like a 28 or 30 inch cut. You could push faster probably.
I have a very big heavy and old Johnson big wheel self propelled walk behind mower. Haven't started it in several years. Way too heavy to push and too dang slow to follow behind with the drive wheels engaged..

I'd buy one of these before I even thought of buying a Cub Regret.
3012417425_1_3_VreYeTaD.jpg

greybeard":2dv34tyo said:
skyhightree1":2dv34tyo said:
LOL I never used one of those before but they were so funny looking and had like a 28 or 30 inch cut. You could push faster probably.
I have a very big heavy and old Johnson big wheel self propelled walk behind mower. Haven't started it in several years. Way too heavy to push and too dang slow to follow behind with the drive wheels engaged..

I'd buy one of these before I even thought of buying a Cub Regret.
3012417425_1_3_VreYeTaD.jpg

GB We normally agree on a lot of things or find a middle ground but I cant agree with buying that instead of a cub regret im too fat and lazy for that contraption :lol2: :lol2:

bought a yardman in 2004 and still using it. I mow about an acre of lawn. I bought the 22 horse 42 inch cut and have only replaced blades and belts. Change oil and filter every spring. Still trying to figure out why the he11 you need cruise control on a rider mower.

Cal

rnh2":rgfnm0x6 said:
Cub cadets are pretty good hard to beat for the $

:nod: You can just about buy 2 Cub Cadets for what one Rhino costs. I'm sure the Rhino is probably a better mower, but I'm not sure it's twice as good. And then you have those sticks to deal with :p

Calman":3nu8ecly said:
bought a yardman in 2004 and still using it. I mow about an acre of lawn. I bought the 22 horse 42 inch cut and have only replaced blades and belts. Change oil and filter every spring. Still trying to figure out why the be nice you need cruise control on a rider mower.

Cal

I want and like cruise on a rider mower. My foot would get awful tired with my foot holding the pedal down for a long time. I wouldn't buy a mower without cruise :idea:

John SD":j4nuhula said:
Calman":j4nuhula said:
bought a yardman in 2004 and still using it. I mow about an acre of lawn. I bought the 22 horse 42 inch cut and have only replaced blades and belts. Change oil and filter every spring. Still trying to figure out why the be nice you need cruise control on a rider mower.

Cal

I want and like cruise on a rider mower. My foot would get awful tired with my foot holding the pedal down for a long time. I wouldn't buy a mower without cruise :idea:
What you gotta cut the yard there in South Dakota, once a year?

John SD":30qgo0y2 said:
Calman":30qgo0y2 said:

Cal

I want one with pontoons on it instead of wheels..

I know I sound like a broken record on the Chinese stuff, but I can't help it.

I seriously doubt if you can buy a riding mower for less than $2500 that is not a piece of disposable junk. I like the cub regret remark, I had one of those. Belt kept popping off. Took the deck off and found the cheap Chinese bolts had bent and wallowed out a hole in the cheap pop can deck and was sitting crooked. All that from 50 hours of mowing a flat fescue/bluegrass lawn. What a joke.

Latest posts