Best Hereford For AI

Help Support CattleToday:

midtncattle

Reaction score
What hereford would you guys suggets for AI? Goal would replacment heifers from brangus or gert momma cows. Prefer polled, but horned might work.

Has anyone used the R294 bull from ABS? We sold all the cows that we had bred to him but still have 3 straws left that I would like to use on some other Gelbvieh Red Angus F1s

We have used the R294 Bull in our AI program and really like him. Another bull or bloodline I would highly recommend is the UPS DOMINO 3027 or UPS DOMINO 5216.

Want some calf raisers?
How about some (almost) free semen?

In the DeShazer Dispersion I bought a semen lot essentially for the 3 straws of GK Explosion 412T semen that were in it.

Also included in that lot was 225 straws and an interest in this bull:

42194938.jpg

DCC 504 Sealy 1021

This semen has been stored at Bovine Elite (College Station, TX) since before I bought it in the dispersion 3+ years ago.

I asked Tim Lockhart, who was the manager of DeShazer's, about this bull and this is the reply I received from him:
1021 – His dam is an own daughter of King Ten. This is a bull I wish I could have used more. The daughters should be great. Use him to add maternal to stouter made cattle.

Looking at the very limited use that he saw at Brumleys, it looks like he produced calves with a lot of growth - and the one daughter that they kept looks like she's a calf raiser with 102.5 WW index.

If anyone has any interest in using this semen I will GIVE it to them (50 straw lots - or more if they legitimately need it and will use it). All they have to do is pay any shipping and handling charges from Bovine Elite.

If interested, contact me through the private message system here or email me at: [email protected]

George

P606 is the best female sire I've seen in a long time. We are using 2 sons of him and started calving daughters this fall. Best first calf heifers thats been here in 60 yrs of breeding cattle. They are both out of 71I daughters. Nasdaq is a brother to P606 so i would say he could be a good choice as well. UDDER QUALITY UDDER QUALITY UDDER QUALITY AND MILK MILK MILK. We have also used Revolution heavily and really like what we see.

I saw a fairly nice cow herd with 294 calves at side. The calves were definitely a step in the wrong direction based on the cow herd and calves I had seen from them out of different bulls.

I would breed them to Progress, or better yet just go buy a progress son out of a good cow family and naturally breed your cows. He has consistently produced cows that are soggy, deep ribbed, stout enough, and tremendously well uddered. He has fixed some of my udder issues in one generation. His daughters breed back well, and typically raise calves at the top of the group (not always in size, but total package)

I agree wit oak that Progress calves seems to be superior in type, the cows I've seen all have beautiful udders the only negative is he sires terrible eyes. Depending on your conditions it may not be an issue at all, but they don't meet my breeding goals in that regard.

KNERSIE":2eijdjq6 said:
I agree wit oak that Progress calves seems to be superior in type, the cows I've seen all have beautiful udders the only negative is he sires terrible eyes. Depending on your conditions it may not be an issue at all, but they don't meet my breeding goals in that regard.

Glad to read these comments on Progress. I kept four heifers for replacement heifers out of last years calves, a Progress daughter out of my old granny cow I was going to cull last spring, a M326 heifer and two M326 granddaughters out of a Call 100 daughter. At about 10 months the progress daughter is the eye catcher out of the four and I believe all four are nice heifers, unlike her dam this progress heifer is stocky, deep and wide. And while some may not like it, but it's only hair color she does suffer from the dreaded TMW. :eek: :D

Alan

It should be OK even on herefords, but if fixing the eye set is a major priority then he isn't the bull for you.

In my opinion after getting our second crop of calves out of him, Victor 719T is hard to beat. His ratio of BW to WW is in the top 1% of the Hereford breed, and his calves proves up his epds. Genex has his semen for $25 a straw I think.

Topp Hereford just avg over $12,000 a head for 30 sons in their sale this month for the second year in a row. Evidently someone else likes him also. We kept everyone of his heifers as replacments from last springs calf crop.

Latest posts