Best Advice Dad or Granpa Ever gave you?

Help Support CattleToday:

CKC1586":25nyc0ju said:
Boy, this has really gotten to me this morning. My Dad died March 2 and I really miss him. My brother and I have shared in his care for the past 5 years. He has finally been reunited with my Mom. At his funeral there were so many people that had shared their memories of him and some great stories. He was a good farmer and steward of the land. He had made many great friends over the years. He was a colorful individual and usually had a good story to tell and was full of limmericks. We all had to teach our kids to not repeat most of them! I got in trouble in kindergarten for singing one of his "songs" I got my mouth washed out with that nasty green liquid soap at school. Some of his advise quickly comes to mind: If it is worth having it is worth taking care of, Being a Christian has nothing to do with where you go on Sunday it is how you live your life, Excuses are like a$$holes everyone has one, I could go on but I guess this is long enough...

Know how you feel. When we buried my brother a few years ago I never cried so hard in my life. But that night my aunts, uncles, cousins and I sat around and told stories about him, some which I'd never heard. Never laughed so hard in my life. That's what it's all about.

when I lost my Dad, two weeks before my Son was born, 18 years ago. I lost my friend and confidant, what a great guy he was and the stories he told and best advice I ever got was from him. I still miss him, I loved that man to peaces. Never forget what he was like before he became ill, memories to last forever.

You never get a second chance to make a good first impression.
A man's word is his bond.
The clasic....because I'm your mother, that's why!

VanC":14kncz2b said:
CKC1586":14kncz2b said:
Boy, this has really gotten to me this morning. My Dad died March 2 and I really miss him. My brother and I have shared in his care for the past 5 years. He has finally been reunited with my Mom. At his funeral there were so many people that had shared their memories of him and some great stories. He was a good farmer and steward of the land. He had made many great friends over the years. He was a colorful individual and usually had a good story to tell and was full of limmericks. We all had to teach our kids to not repeat most of them! I got in trouble in kindergarten for singing one of his "songs" I got my mouth washed out with that nasty green liquid soap at school. Some of his advise quickly comes to mind: If it is worth having it is worth taking care of, Being a Christian has nothing to do with where you go on Sunday it is how you live your life, Excuses are like a$$holes everyone has one, I could go on but I guess this is long enough...

Know how you feel. When we buried my brother a few years ago I never cried so hard in my life. But that night my aunts, uncles, cousins and I sat around and told stories about him, some which I'd never heard. Never laughed so hard in my life. That's what it's all about.

Lost Dad in 02 you will never get over it. I still catch myself talking to him in the pasture. Man is still alive until he is forgotten.

"Whip light, drive slow. Pay cash or don't go."

I asked my grandfather what he meant, he said it was from a sign that hung over a livery stable back when he was a kid ( early 1900's) that used to rent out horse & buggys. He said that it fit most things that he tried to do the rest of his life.

Also every time he saw any of us boys he'd holler at us "You boys are having the best time of your life". It didn't matter if we were hauling hay, building fence, mowing the yard, fishing, hunting or just hanging out. It took me a lot of years to understand what he meant but looking back now I know, all that stuff, the hard work & the play are where my fondest memories are.

;-)

from my dad, who died when I was 6. " It takes a good man to lick me but it won't take him long."

1.Make your words soft and sweet, you may have to eat them.
2.Worry is the interest you pay on a problem you may never have.
3. You are as good as anyone else. But you are no better than anyone else.
4. Be sure your brain is loaded before shooting off your mouth.

Now that I have had more time to think some of my Dads advice is resurfacing.

Son, if you want something done right, do it yourself.
Bow to no man.
Wish in one hand, poop in the other and see which one fills up first.
Hard work never hurt anyone.
If someone knocks you down, get up get a bigger stick and try it again.
Ya got to get right back up on the horse that throws ya.

"Don't marry for money, but there's nothing wrong with hanging around rich people until you fall in love."

Wish I listened to that bit of advice :lol:

Chris

ffscj":f9d2f5el said:
"Don't marry for money, but there's nothing wrong with hanging around rich people until you fall in love."

Wish I listened to that bit of advice :lol:

Chris

That is a good one! :D

Latest posts