Bermuda-Hybrids vs. Common?

Help Support CattleToday:

Z&J Cattle

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I have purchased 16 acres of row crop land (currently soybeans) and I am going to fence it this fall and sew bermuda next spring. I am going to run cow/calf on it (hopefully about 16 momma cows eventually). I don't know much about the different types of Bermuda and their respective pros and cons. I have taken soil samples and had them to do a recommendation for bermuda and all that is needed is a little nitrogen. We have also looked at the soil map for the property and it shows to be category one soil, which should be excellent for bermuda production. I am located in Northeast Arkansas if that helps to give a general idea of my climate. If I understand correctly, common Bermuda is seeded, while hybrid has to be sprigged. Is this correct? Also, I believe that I read somewhere that the seeds from common bermuda could possibly be harmful to the cows. Is this also correct? I am new to all this and am just looking for some direction so that when next spring arrives, I will be ready to do whatever it is that I decide to do. Obviously, I am looking for the most cost effective way to establish the pasture (along with everyone else, I'm sure). As I have read several times, we are grass farmers that market our product through beef, I am very determined to establish very good pasture. I am starting with bare ground, so why not do it right to begin with. With the size of my land (16 acres) I almost feel that I am in some way at an advantage over some with larger pastures, because it will be easier/cheaper to maintain my pasture at the level that I would like to. Any advice or information that any of you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Zach

Contact your local Extension agent. They have a better idea as to what varieties do well in your area.

For the most part the hybrid bermudas out perform the seeded ones, ALTHOUGH there have been some big improvements in new seeded varieties.

What part of northeast Arkansas is your place located? I lived at Tyronza in Poinsett County back in the middle 70's. I had to move back to Texas when I kept having wild ideas about growing grass in that good delta soil.

Latest posts