Bermuda Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

ousoonerfan22

Reaction score
Last year we spread 2 tons of nitrogen on a 30 acre meadow and ended up with a 143 or 146 4x5 round bales with one cutting. This year we spread 3 tons of 30-11-11(May 24th) and on Monday ended up with 160 4x5 round bales. Today we got 3.5" of rain so I'm hoping for a second cutting, a friend is telling me to spread another 2 tons of nitrogen and the Amish guy that bales it said to try 2 tons of triple 19 or could we get a second cutting without adding more fertilizer?
I haven't done a soil test yet.

You need to hit it with an application of nitrogen and phosphorus between cuttings. These are both needed for good growth. The nitrogen will boost the protein up in your hay and if you split up your nitrogen applications between cuttings, as it will help produce more new leaves, helps the plant produce food, and ups the protein in the hay. Really makes the hay grow faster. It is best applied before a rain to keep from evaporating.
Some people say that a good heavy dew will help make it melt, but a rain is what you need.

The Phosphorus will strengthen the root system and make it possible to absorb the nutrients from the soil. It can make your stand weak without it.

We divided the fertile between the cuttings. Hit is with the both between each cutting. It's a 10 acre field of Vaughns. 1st cutting, we got 28 rolls of 5 X 6
2nd cutting, 40 bales
3rd cutting 40 bales
4th cutting 30 bales

Bermuda needs almost as much potassium as it does nitrogen to produce. Unfortunately, if you apply all the potassium at one time - the plant will pick it all up in that cutting. Local county agents did a demonstration several years ago that showed you got the most hay with an application of potash every cutting. To make 2 tons per acre of hay removes 100 lbs of Nitrogen, 40 lbs of Phosphorus and 85 lbs of Potassium out of the soil.

My fertilizer man has not been telling me to put down Potassium. Sounds like I might need to discuss this with him. He had me put down 150 of nitrogen and 50 of phosphorus. But I do know that it has to be hit with those two between cuttings. If it is necessary for the potassium, then I will need to check into that.
I am going to do more reading, and will have a bit of ammo to back that up. Sometimes just because I say it, doesn't mean a lot to my fertilizer man.

I use 21-9-17 or something close at the rate of 200lbs. per acre after each cut. The first of spring I put 300-400lbs of the same fertilizer. Got 65 5x4 rolls off 10 acres for the first cutting.

My last 4 soil samples called for 19 9 19 . I put 2 truck loads of chicken litter once a year on 16 acres . Plus 100 lbs of 19 9 19 after each cutting l usually get 60. To 70 rolls a cutting 4 times a year . Depending on rain , army worms , etc..

JS, you didn't have to bring army worms up. I'm not home and they can ruin a good hay crop overnight it seems like.

Chuckie":12gnyku4 said:
My fertilizer man has not been telling me to put down Potassium. Sounds like I might need to discuss this with him. He had me put down 150 of nitrogen and 50 of phosphorus. But I do know that it has to be hit with those two between cuttings. If it is necessary for the potassium, then I will need to check into that.
I am going to do more reading, and will have a bit of ammo to back that up. Sometimes just because I say it, doesn't mean a lot to my fertilizer man.

Remind him who's signing the check. ;-)

Chuckie,

Don't know where you are located but here in Giles county--south central TN-- my soil tests and all my neighbors show really high P and low K...may be why your man does not suggest P...update your soil test and then you can face him with the facts...good luck!

Latest posts