Bent bale spear

Help Support CattleToday:

John in WI

Reaction score
I have a 3 point bale spear with a problem. It's bent downward about three inches and I keep dropping bales.
Does anyone have a tip on how to get it back in position?

I used to have that problem more than I care to admit. I took mine to a friend who has a muffler shop and we would straighten it in his hydraulic pipe bender.

Mine has been bent so many times it doesn;t straighten anymore. I just changed the position so that the bend is to the side.

John,

A droop happens to all old haymen as they and their equipment get older. :lol:

Is the spear replaceable? If so either turn the point up or get a replacement from the local dealer, ebay, etc......

If you can't take the spear out to straighten it, leave the spear on the tractor and chain the frame down to a cattleguard or something heavy. Then take another tractor and hook to the end of it and pull it up.

cfpinz

and it would help if the spear was warm when you did that..
Also if you can might want to weld some sort of support on it. Otherwise.. get a new one.

John in WI":arlnifcd said:
I have a 3 point bale spear with a problem. It's bent downward about three inches and I keep dropping bales.
Does anyone have a tip on how to get it back in position?
Go to this website an order the heavist rated spear and sleeve. Get rid of the old one and have this one welded in place. It will never bend.
http://www.agri-supply.com/catalog/page05.htm

DiamondSCattleCo":3dlp94j5 said:
Jeez, $32 for the heaviest spear? I wonder if they'll ship up north, cause hardened steel spears up here are a couple hundred bucks.

Rod

Easy enough to find out, order one of them online. They will ship UPS I think that UPS goes all over the world.

Turn it completly over and let it straighten itself. At least it will point up and the bales wouldn't fall off as easily.